Discography's of talented Rock Bands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/10/2018 19:34
  • Post subject:
Fly By Night is one of those 90 quality albums where there isn't much to say. Kinda reminds me of country rock like the Eagles, which is a positive over last album, although I do think the last album inspired Iron Maiden's Powerslave, an album I prefer to many Rush albums.
Lots of 90 quality albums are good and there is not much bad to say about them like Duran Duran's hit album, which was album of the day recently and I was embarrassed not to have anything to say about it XD.
My favorite part was the trippy guitar solo... This is stuff that just isn't present in most country rock but makes this album cooler.
I am actually very frustrated that I like this sort of stuff. I wish I was listening to more edgy stuff, but I guess I am growing.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/10/2018 21:56
  • Post subject:
O.K. so this next Rush album is from the same year and it also sounds the same javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/10/2018 22:39
  • Post subject:
Well, this next Rush album, Caress of Steel is like Fly by Night except a little less interesting, and then there's the ending jam which is, should I say, Caressing? Its basically 70s elevator music. Not really my cup of tea, but at least its something different. I think Hotel California by the Eagles is actually better country rock than this one, although I like Rush better as an overall band.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/10/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
Its a 90
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/13/2018 19:31
  • Post subject:
Listening to Jethro Tulls Aqualung. I keep going back to listen to the cool catchy parts so I haven't completed the album yet.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/14/2018 22:27
  • Post subject:
O.K. so I completed re-listening to the Aqualung album and next listened to Wagner's Siegfried and Wow is there a stark difference. I'm Thinking in progressive rock during this period (1971?), namely Tull, Yes, Genesis, are their "classical influences" only copying Beethoven or something?
In Benefit there was some cool psychedelia and almost Latin type stuff but it seems like in Aqualung all the Progressive classical music they're channeling tends to be very limited, specifically Beethoven. There's also Tull's Benefit of course and in Songs of the Woods they do some Baroque and Scottish stuff so I know they're capable of experimenting, but in the Tull Genesis and Yes albums made during this time period I'm not feeling much classical music other than Beethoven.
Wagner's Siegfried is a marvel of brilliant craftsmanship and I really wish these bands would have incorporated some Wagner stuff.
On another note, what's the difference between being influenced by a composer consciously or unconsciously. My music for example, is a stream of conscious but I know I'm unconsciously regurgitating what I've heard from other artists (Wagner, Prince...). Is Tull consciously or unconsciously copying Beethoven here. I think there more probably more capable of consciously copying a classical composer than I am. Lots of these progressive rock artists are super educated.
Lots of catchy stuff on this record. My favorite is Locomotive Breath, but Cross Eyed Mary is another great one. Is it the Ring of the Nibelung? Definitely not but its still worthwhile and interesting and sure beats most other music.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/14/2018 23:57
  • Post subject:
this album is a full 100, mostly because I like the "hard rock" Jethro Tull
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2018 00:44
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Also the lyrics are so bad they're offensive to my brain, they really needed Neil Peart.

yeah, i don't thnk music needs great lyrics or any lyrics, but when you commt to wrtng/sngng BAD lyrics. like really bad. cheesy. dumb. even a middle schoolr inside me is crngng lrycs. you've got issues, and i cant lstn to that garbge. tried rly hard to like rush on multiple occasions. listn'd to a gd chnk of their albums, but it's just sooo bad.unlistnble.
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/15/2018 02:15
  • Post subject:
These lyrics are bad even compared to most Rush albums though. STAY AWAY Smile
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/15/2018 17:24
  • Post subject:
O.K. so I just re-listened to the next album in Jethro Tull's discography and wow what a great album! Its lost some of the edge of their previous albums so its only a 95, but its a good 95. I don't think any other artist can carry off a mess like this half so well. Its bizarre and ridiculous with Lewis Carroll style lyrics but they turn that into a pro. I think its because Ian is so extreme and over the top this style of music suits him creatively. The lyrics are super interesting... So far I've found out "Your sperms in the gutter your loves in the sink" is a very intelligent allusion to religious thought in that love for God transcends love as a feeling for other people and also physical desire for them, so I know the lyrics mean something, but I can't find out much beyond that. These are lyrics that are actually good, which is a rarity.
  • Visit poster's website