2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2018 20:21
  • Post subject: 2018 Films and Oscars
Just like last year's thread (https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=19284), a thread to talk/discuss 2018 in films, and the 2018-19 Award Season when the time comes.

MoviePass has been the big talk of the entertainment business lately. They changed their subscription service for a few days, then changed it back to 1 movie per day for $10/month. I said a few months ago MoviePass would survive if it can lead to a rise in attendance, making theaters and MoviePass mutually dependant. So far in 2018, domestic attendance is actually up from previous years (source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?vi...amp;p=.htm). However, I wonder if the rise in attendance is enough to keep it going. Or if the rise is merely due to the gigantic grosses of Black Panther and Infinity War. This article suggests the company is reaching a breaking point:
https://nypost.com/2018/05/08/shares-of...y-numbers/
I'd hate to see MoviePass end, but their business model is pretty shaky. I still think the way it survives is if they strike a profit-sharing deal with theater chains over concessions. So if you're a MoviePass holder, buy some popcorn. Otherwise, you're hurting the company that's giving you free movies. However if MoviePass crashes, there is a similar service called Sinemia, which has a steadier business model.

It's also worth noting China is having a boom year so far:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/
There have been three films at the Chinese box office in 2018 comparable to North America's MCU profits. Unfortunately they don't get theatrical distribution here in North America. Nevertheless, I'd say China now has a domestic film industry comparable to Hollywood in terms of number of produced films and how much money they earn.

Anyway, enough about the business side. How about the movies themselves? You Were Never Really Here is easily the best thing I've seen so far. I liked Isle of Dogs more than I thought I would. A Quiet Place hit the spot. Annihilation and Black Panther were mildly disappointing. And that leaves me with Infinity War..

Great fight scenes and jokes, but still a sloppy film with several plot holes. But that ending kind of makes up for it.

So far my favorite 2018 film is You Were Never Really Here, and favorite performances are Joaquin and Emily Blunt.

How about yours? What are you looking forward to?

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 07/03/2018 02:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2018 04:08
  • Post subject:
I don't keep up with upcoming films like I used to, but I do know the new Halloween installment is coming out this year. Directed by David Gordon Green (George Washington, Pineapple Express, Stronger - I had to Google him but I've actually seen most of his movies), who co-wrote it with Danny McBride of all people. John Carpenter gave it his blessing and will serve as executive producer and creative consultant. A pretty big deal to horror fans since he has distanced himself from the franchise since Halloween 3 (1982). Oh yeah and Jamie Lee Curtis is returning too. Apparently it ignores the continuity of the series and is a direct sequel to the original (and maybe part 2??) that takes place 40 years later. Halloween H40, if you will. Anyway, this one is promising I think. With a modern setting, Carpenter helping out, and financed by recent horror staple Blumhouse Productions, there's no reason this shouldn't be one of the better films in the franchise.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2018 00:00
  • Post subject:
Just watched Hereditary last night. Overall I liked it, but I'm not sure how I feel about the last 20 minutes. Anyone else see it and have thoughts on the matter?
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/05/2018 04:40
  • Post subject:
I think they should've left all the explanations on the cutting room floor, I don't think we ever needed a literal explanation of what exactly is going on and I think getting rid of any sort of ambiguity sort of just made it "oh... so that's it". Guess it just depends on what you're seeking from the film overall, I guess. Still good, though, and it was fun to see (SPOI..lers, maybe?) Toni Collete go all Babadook near the end.

Anyways I'm pretty lax on whatever's coming out soon, except for that one where Nicholas Cage wages war on a satanic cult or whatever. That should be fun.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2018 18:48
  • Post subject:
Here's my favorites list so far. https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbierill/2018-movies/

I've probably seen about 45 movies so far, which means I'm behind schedule for the 100-movies-a-year tradition I've kept since 2015. Certainly Netflix's new cinematic mediocrity (after delivering so many of the best films of last year) is a part of it, as is the simple fact that I haven't been able to go to the movies as much this summer. I really should've seen Leave No Trace or Uncle Drew (the latter seeming to be the most Charli sports movie ever) today, but instead I decided to study at a coffee shop.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/09/2018 07:17
  • Post subject:
Interesting list, but which ones have you actually watched?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2018 23:55
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Interesting list, but which ones have you actually watched?

Actually, all of them :O Unlike when I stayed in my suburban home, almost every major release plays in Chicago eventually, so I try to go to a double feature once every week or two (I actually saw Paddington 2, Jane, and My Friend Dahmer the same Friday night in January near the Siskel Film Center). I even saw Eighth Grade at the Chicago Critics Film Festival (with Bo Burnham in attendance), though I hope to see it a second time once it returns this Friday.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2018 04:53
  • Post subject:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/...ry-1133138

So as some of you may have heard, today the Academy announced some changes to the Oscars Ceremony. The details are in the article linked above. But in a nutshell, the ceremonies will be shortened to three hours. The 2020 ceremony will be moved up two weeks from Feb 23 to Feb 9. Lastly, and most controversially, a new category for Best Popular Film.

Here are my thoughts. I'm glad they're shortening the ceremony to three hours, but I disagree with how they plan to do it. The article says they will be awarding some categories during commercial breaks, editing them, then airing them later in the show. So that's how they plan to shorten the ceremony? How about instead not making us suffer through the songs? That would chop off a good chunk of time. I wonder how they will decide which categories will be awarded during commercials. Either way, the categories that will be awarded during commercials will be viewed as 'not important enough to telecast live.' And that's bound to make some people in the industry angry.

Next, moving the ceremony up two weeks. Good move. Awards season, like election season, is too long already.

Finally, Best Popular Film. Clearly a category invented to boost TV ratings after their abysmal ratings (by their standard) this past year. I see why they're doing this. But I believe a movie, if good enough, should be considered for Best Picture, regardless of genre, appearance, or popularity.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2018 20:27
  • Post subject:
After a shitstorm of backlash, the Academy decided against having a category for Best Popular Film. It was an idea to boost TV ratings that probably would've worked. But it was also condescending to many.

How can the show boost TV ratings while maintaining some credibility? (not that it has much)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/07/2018 20:51
  • Post subject:
Yeah, good call. That would've been embarrassing.

Anyway, TIFF's ablaze and Venice is wrapping. There's genuinely about 50 films I want to see lined up... it could turn out to be one of the best festival years of the decade.

Vox Lux could be a sleeper for the Oscars... I'd keep an eye on it. As of now though, I don't think anyone's taking Best Picture away from Roma.

Last edited by Hayden on 09/07/2018 22:16; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website