2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2019 19:33
  • Post subject:
Quote:
But anyway, I don't see how this is going to make the show that much shorter. Like Hayden said, we're talking only a few minutes. And imo, that isn't enough. It needs to be an hour shorter. And again, I say get rid of the fucking song performances and you've saved at least 20-25 minutes already.

I will admit that I'd like to see the broadcast be a little less stuffed. Every year the Oscars run overlong and when the big awards come up for acting, directing and picture the winners often get played off the stage. Without any host maybe there will be more room for people making their speeches instead of being rushed off the stage during the biggest moment in their lives, but its really unfortunate for the people who will not be shown on TV since their fields are often the more unappreciated areas of filmmaking.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2019 19:58
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Ah yes. That's correct. That came from the Hollywood Reporter article.

Reference:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/...ks-1185505

Yeah, as long as the stream's available outside of the USA, then they're definitely moving in the right direction. Least they'll be able to count their viewership opposed to second-party streams.

Quite clearly the way to shorten runtime is to cut an hour of commercials Laughing It'll be interesting to see what the audience does during televised ads... I assume they just... chat... but this could be the start of moving forward.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2019 06:48
  • Post subject:
Cinematography is the most important category to me after supporting actors (I rank the screenwriting ones higher). Don't think editing should be cut either, but have to admit I don't really know most of the names. As others have said, those couple of minutes are not what makes the Oscars three and a half hours. Get rid of visual effects -- those are already rewarded at the box office (kidding just a little). What they need to do is statistically access the elements that take up the most time and target the ones that aren't actually about the awards. Get rid of those campy dance performances! Dump those pretentious teleprompter introductions of the categories with the lame jokes, go straight to announcing the nominees.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/13/2019 13:44
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Dump those pretentious teleprompter introductions of the categories with the lame jokes, go straight to announcing the nominees.

Most of the teleprompter jokes are hilarious because they're so terribly delivered. Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph were pretty funny at the Golden Globes this year while presenting, but their jokes may have been improvised.

Almost everyone who presents is an actor. You would think they'd be able to make the whole process feel less staged.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2019 17:48
  • Post subject:
At first I thought the decision to present four categories during commercials wasn't that big of a deal. For one, I didn't need any additional reason to skip the show anyway because the nominees are pretty bad this year. And two, they will still show the winner and speech edited down later in the show, and the ceremony will still be streamed unedited without commercials on their web site. So why the big fuss over it?

But I've been thinking about it more, and talking about it with friends and colleagues the past couple days. The decision is still disrespectful to all Below the Line crew. It isn't specifically about cinematographers, editors, and makeup artists. It's about everybody who works Below the Line, because of the planned rotation every year of which categories are presented during commercials. If this plan continues, those who work in sound, VFX, costume design, production design, etc will be affected too.

Thus I see this now as another dispute between Above the Line and Below the Line crew, an extension of the constant labor battle between the two sides. The Above the Line people call the shots, earn residuals and make much more money, while Below the Line crew never earn residuals and make significantly less. And now they're disrespecting us by presenting awards during commercials.

Screw them. To hell with the Oscars. I know some of you don't care and will watch the show anyway. But tens of thousands of people, including myself, work hard to make movies happen, not just writers, producers, actors, and directors. And if you have respect for all the Below the Line workers in the business, reconsider before tuning in.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2019 19:19
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Thus I see this now as another dispute between Above the Line and Below the Line crew, an extension of the constant labor battle between the two sides. The Above the Line people call the shots, earn residuals and make much more money, while Below the Line crew never earn residuals and make significantly less. And now they're disrespecting us by presenting awards during commercials.

I would also argue that a below the line worker may even value an Oscar win more than a director/actor/screenwriter because they never get the attention they should. During Oscar season there is always talk about which actor or director will take home the award and very little about the working class people that are responsible for the film as well. The whole Oscar season is basically just 3-4 months of us praising actors and directors, while all the other elements that make a great film are almost ignored.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2019 01:01
  • Post subject:
I'm glad that got resolved.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2019 02:29
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm glad that got resolved.

Laughing

This is such a mess. Popular film, scrapped, host, scrapped, scrapping, scrapped. They've made everyone so mad in the last year simply to put things back to how they always were.

But yeah, sure, like... okay. I'm cool with it.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 14:31
  • Post subject:
At least they are listening to people's opinions. I think they just need to get more creative. There are definitely things that can be done to improve the show. They just need to be a bit more clever.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 15:33
  • Post subject:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/anony...202044997/

Just a cool interview from an anonymous source about the voting process. Figured I'd share. Always nice to read some personalized input from the members.
  • Visit poster's website