2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/26/2019 14:29
  • Post subject:
Quote:
As I said, I never saw The Help, but my understanding was that it portrayed black women with great strength and character despite the racism and lack of opportunity they faced. Was there some other, more overriding and sinister message there?

Emma Stone's character sort of fit into the "white savior" cliché. The movie sort of shows that the black women wouldn't have been able to have their voices heard without her character. I think The Help is a way better film than Green Book myself, but I also understand why black people have criticized it a bit. The Blind Side was another movie with a character like that and the Jackie Robinson movie 42 was similar.

I think minorities are a little tired of hearing the "white side" of the story with films that discuss racism.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2019 15:37
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Quote:
As I said, I never saw The Help, but my understanding was that it portrayed black women with great strength and character despite the racism and lack of opportunity they faced. Was there some other, more overriding and sinister message there?

Emma Stone's character sort of fit into the "white savior" cliché. The movie sort of shows that the black women wouldn't have been able to have their voices heard without her character. I think The Help is a way better film than Green Book myself, but I also understand why black people have criticized it a bit. The Blind Side was another movie with a character like that and the Jackie Robinson movie 42 was similar.

I think minorities are a little tired of hearing the "white side" of the story with films that discuss racism.

Thanks for the discussion. I didn't think much of Blind Side either.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 03:22
  • Post subject:
Got around to seeing Suspiria as well as Blackkklansman.

The former is beautiful, mesmerizing, and really had me fucked up. That's the kind of movie I love. I still haven't seen the House that Jack Built and Lars' last three films impacted me immensely, so I could be jumping the gun, but in a solid year for horror films this one stands head and shoulders above the rest.

The latter is Spike Lee at the top of his game. I didn't care for his last couple films, but this is probably the most fun movie of his career, and one of the most brilliant too. In a year where I've given an unusually high amount of 4 out of 5 star ratings, this will probably wind up being the highest 4 star film on my 2018 list.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/03/2019 03:29
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
In a year where I've given an unusually high amount of 4 out of 5 star ratings

Same! I was combing through my 2018 watches for the film list, and I spotted a strange amount of 4/5's... I only gave two 4.5/5's and no perfect scores. Everything kinda landed around there (including Blackkklansman). I know everyone has their own scoring system, so it doesn't really matter, but I figure I'd share that I can relate.

Glad you liked both of them Smile I didn't love it, but I still think Suspiria got some harsh critique.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 03:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Same! I was combing through my 2018 watches for the film list, and I spotted a strange amount of 4/5's... I only gave two 4.5/5's and no perfect scores. Everything kinda landed around there (including Blackkklansman). I know everyone has their own scoring system, so it doesn't really matter, but I figure I'd share that I can relate.

Glad you liked both of them Smile I didn't love it, but I still think Suspiria got some harsh critique.

A lot of my favorite movies are harshly criticized. I gave Suspiria a 5/5. Not sure if it sticks, I tend to drop half a point off movies that I don't feel as strongly about after a period of time. For example I dropped the new Halloween from a 4 to a 3.5 a couple weeks after I saw it just due to the thinking I did about it. But I'm honestly in the mood to watch Suspiria again now so it's had a strong effect.

*checks Letterboxd*

I'm at two 5s, 2 4s (3 actually with one "2017" movie that I'm listing), and eleven 4s (some of them might be shocking). But sadly I haven't even seen 50 films yet. Been a rough 5 months. As a result of the aforementioned months I'm not very "in the know" for 2018. THTJB, The Favourite and Cold War are really the only films left I'm all that excited to watch.

Last edited by badseed on 03/03/2019 04:09; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/03/2019 04:07
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
THTJB, The Favourite and Cold War are really the only films left I'm all that excited to watch.

All 4/5's from me Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2019 04:17
  • Post subject:
I had to update that. I went from seven to eleven four star films. Like I said, that hindsight view can often affect ratings, this time it did so in a positive way for a few movies that I look back on so fondly I had to bump them up.

Actually the Mission Impossible movie is supposed to be good, yeah? I forgot about it until scrolling through Letterboxd just now. Of course I'd like to see Won't You Be My Neighbor, and I'll probably catch Green Book soon too.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2019 13:39
  • Post subject:
I personally didn't give a 5/5 on Letterboxd for any film this year. I did give Hereditary and Black Panther 4.5/5s though. I'm pretty stingy with a 5 star score.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 18:08
  • Post subject:
I think that's a topic for another day but since I look like Mr Givefivestars I should point out that I round up, so if Letterboxd did quarter stars like BEA the majority of my 5 star films would be 4.75. In the grand scheme of things 5s are still pretty rare from me, but I average 2 or 3 a year I think. Lots of years with none but the 50s and 60s are loaded with perfect and near-perfect films IMO. On top of that I also let enjoyment play into my ratings, so that's why I've got a few (probably not all that many) films that I might get called crazy for rating perfectly, but hey I'm no critic.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/04/2019 18:11
  • Post subject:
only 4.5s i gave for 2018 was for the favourite, cold war, and shoplifters
  • Visit poster's website