2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2019 19:02
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I think that's a topic for another day but since I look like Mr Givefivestars I should point out that I round up, so if Letterboxd did quarter stars like BEA the majority of my 5 star films would be 4.75. In the grand scheme of things 5s are still pretty rare from me, but I average 2 or 3 a year I think. Lots of years with none but the 50s and 60s are loaded with perfect and near-perfect films IMO. On top of that I also let enjoyment play into my ratings, so that's why I've got a few (probably not all that many) films that I might get called crazy for rating perfectly, but hey I'm no critic.

I definitely do give out 5 Stars, but out of 1950 films tracked on Letterboxd I have 25 5/5s. Nothing wrong with giving a film 5/5 either. Especially Susperia, I've plenty of 5s for that film.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 19:30
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
I definitely do give out 5 Stars, but out of 1950 films tracked on Letterboxd I have 25 5/5s. Nothing wrong with giving a film 5/5 either. Especially Susperia, I've plenty of 5s for that film.

I've given 289 5 star ratings in total, out of 5,897 films. Here's the full breakdown by decade:

20s - 17
30s - 15
40s - 29
50s - 43
60s - 59
70s - 39
80s - 30
90s - 19
00s - 17
10s - 21

In regards to some "questionable" ratings, these are the only ones at first glance that I wouldn't expect pretty much everyone to give a minimum of 3.5-4 stars to.

Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song
Pink Floyd The Wall
Blood for Dracula
At Close Range
Cannibal Holocaust
Antichrist
Nymphomaniac Vol 1 & 2
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2019 19:34
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I've given 289 5 star ratings in total, out of 5,897 films. Here's the full breakdown by decade:

20s - 17
30s - 15
40s - 29
50s - 43
60s - 59
70s - 39
80s - 30
90s - 19
00s - 17
10s - 21

In regards to some "questionable" ratings, these are the only ones at first glance that I wouldn't expect pretty much everyone to give a minimum of 3.5-4 stars to.

Pink Floyd The Wall
Blood for Dracula
At Close Range
Cannibal Holocaust

That's still only 4% of your total films watched which is still a very small amount. How many movies do you watch a day? Just out of curiosity. You have a massive total of films for a relatively young man. I've averaged a movie a day for a few years now, but I've yet to hit 2000

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 19:49
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
badseed wrote:

20s - 17
30s - 15
40s - 29
50s - 43
60s - 59
70s - 39
80s - 30
90s - 19
00s - 17
10s - 21

Pink Floyd The Wall
Blood for Dracula
At Close Range
Cannibal Holocaust

That's still only 4% of your total films watched which is still a very small amount. How many movies do you watch a day? Just out of curiosity. You have a massive total of films for a relatively young man. I've averaged a movie a day for a few years now, but I've yet to hit 2000

That's not all that many I don't think. I just calculated 5897 divided by 30.5 years and that's about 193 movies a year. Roughly one movie every two days of my life. Of course if you calculate all the re-watches I surely have watched at least one a day.

-As a child, we used to rent at least 3, sometimes 5 movies every weekend. During the summer often we would rent for three days and when we return them rent another three to five. Plus any time there was a horror movie on TV I would watch it.
-As a teenager I was known to most people as "that movie guy". By the time I was 18 I owned over 500 DVDs. I also watched a ridiculous amount of Turner Classic movies.
-As a young adult I really got into Netflix, and then Hulu, whilst continuing to build my collection.

These last three or four years have been a little more tumultuous so I watch what I can, when I can. Sometimes I buy it, sometimes I stream it, sometimes I rent it from Redbox. But yeah a lot more downtime these last few years.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2019 20:12
  • Post subject:
Quote:
-As a child, we used to rent at least 3, sometimes 5 movies every weekend. During the summer often we would rent for three days and when we return them rent another three to five. Plus any time there was a horror movie on TV I would watch it.
-As a teenager I was known to most people as "that movie guy". By the time I was 18 I owned over 500 DVDs. I also watched a ridiculous amount of Turner Classic movies.
-As a young adult I really got into Netflix, and then Hulu, whilst continuing to build my collection.

I suppose maybe I just didn't become a film fan until after you did. I really didn't start to catch on to movies until I was like 17. Prior to that I was probably only watching 15 a year. Sometimes I'll watch that many in a week now. I've still only had 7 years of watching movies on a consistent basis.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/04/2019 20:31
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

That's not all that many I don't think. I just calculated 5897 divided by 30.5 years and that's about 193 movies a year. Roughly one movie every two days of my life. Of course if you calculate all the re-watches I surely have watched at least one a day.

These last three or four years have been a little more tumultuous so I watch what I can, when I can. Sometimes I buy it, sometimes I stream it, sometimes I rent it from Redbox. But yeah a lot more downtime these last few years.

bolded for emphasis -- that was a lot of my childhood too

in my early 20s i used to watch TCM every morning
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2019 21:31
  • Post subject:
Quote:

I don't have parents that are huge film fans either. Only casual. A lot of people are movie fans because their parents were.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 22:11
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Quote:

I don't have parents that are huge film fans either. Only casual. A lot of people are movie fans because their parents were.

The movies my parents got me into were pretty mainstream, simple films from the 80s and 90s with a few exceptions. I discovered the internet at age 12 and used it to learn about movies. It's still my main tool to this day, as I don't personally know a single person in real life who knows a fraction of what I know.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/04/2019 22:28
  • Post subject:
me and my dad had a game after my parents divorce in '99 where we would pick 3 movies each at random from any aisle at blockbuster -- so a lot of my experiences outside of cable tv was from that kind of stuff. we ended up watching trashy b-movies and old hollywood staples. it was wild.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2019 01:22
  • Post subject:
The only 10 (or 5/5) I've given a film in recent memory was 1966's Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? after I watched it for the first time in late 2018. I didn't feel any of 2017 or 2018's releases were ultimately worthy of a perfect score. Blade Runner 2049 came the closest.
  • Visit poster's website