2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2019 04:48
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
The only 10 (or 5/5) I've given a film in recent memory was 1966's Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? after I watched it for the first time in late 2018. I didn't feel any of 2017 or 2018's releases were ultimately worthy of a perfect score. Blade Runner 2049 came the closest.

Blade Runner was one of my two 2017 films to get a 10; the other is The Florida Project. Surely my submitted list for our 2017 poll would state differently, but it's the hindsight factor. Also, in the last year I've tried to get less hypercritical and let my ratings be more subjective.

It's been a couple years since I've seen an old film for the first time that I'd give a perfect rating to. I saw the majority of stuff so early in life there just can't be many left. Last one I recall is The Cremator which I never heard of until it made our horror list. Or some Abbas Kiarostami, who I hadn't seen a film from until the poll for our directors list. I did recently rewatch The Big Gundown and brought it up to a 10.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2019 09:42
  • Post subject:
There aren't that many movies from this decade I'd give a 10 to: A Separation, maybe a few more. A majority of my 10s would go to films from the 1940s through the 70s -- with the 40s, 50s and 70s the biggest decades for U.S. films, and the 50s, 60s and 70s for foreign-language films.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/07/2019 10:03
  • Post subject:
for music and film it takes a lot for me to decide "yo i think this is perfect"
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2019 17:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
for music and film it takes a lot for me to decide "yo i think this is perfect"

Yeah, if Letterboxd would update their ratings system to include 4.75s I really wouldn't have but probably a couple dozen 5s. Maybe that's a list I could make. I really don't have many 5s on BEA at all.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2019 19:43
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Yeah, if Letterboxd would update their ratings system to include 4.75s I really wouldn't have but probably a couple dozen 5s. Maybe that's a list I could make. I really don't have many 5s on BEA at all.

So I made that list whilst scrolling through all my 5s. I actually wound up with like 68, and I honestly should have included a few more. But nothing on the list is really all that debatable. They're all perfect IMO. I doubt I could be talked down from any of them but if someone wants to try that's cool.

True 5s https://boxd.it/2GxEw
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2019 22:13
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
So I made that list whilst scrolling through all my 5s. I actually wound up with like 68, and I honestly should have included a few more. But nothing on the list is really all that debatable. They're all perfect IMO. I doubt I could be talked down from any of them but if someone wants to try that's cool.

Shoah and Berlin Alexanderplatz still dauntingly sit in my watchlist....

I agree with most of your list, and I'm definitely not going to talk anything down, but could you elaborate some of what you like about The Lives of Others? You're definitely not alone, and that film's never clicked with me.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 00:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:

I agree with most of your list, and I'm definitely not going to talk anything down, but could you elaborate some of what you like about The Lives of Others? You're definitely not alone, and that film's never clicked with me.

Damn, what's not to click? I don't know what to say that doesn't give away the ending but it made an immediate impact on me. It's a simple film but so are many other perfect movies. I love stories about people who go through moral conflicts, especially ones with political and/or legal repercussions.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 02:14
  • Post subject:
I think 1/4 stars is going too far and getting way too specific. Like what's the difference between a 2-star movie and a 2 1/4-star movie? Simpler is better.

As for my ratings, I used to be lenient. I used to give a lot of high ratings. But I've gradually become less and less lenient over the years and now some may even consider me a harsh grader. I rarely give 9s and 10s these days. Movies I gave an x several years ago would probably be x - 1, or maybe even x - 2, by my standards today. But I haven't gone back into my letterbox'd and re-rated things. 1, that would take a long time. And 2, how do I know if a movie should be down-rated if I haven't re-watched it? So yeah, if you follow me on LB, my ratings def come with a margin of error. I'd rather make lists.

I also haven't given many 10s from this decade, The most recent one is Ex Machina. From 2018, I only gave three 9s.

badseed, there are a few debatable titles on your "True 5s" list. Every one of them that I've seen (except one) is at least an 8/10 in my book. But rather than debate something subjective, I'm just gonna call attention to one...Greed. The version that survived is butchered. So much content, entire story-lines, have been lost. The TCM reconstruction with stills and titles does a good job filling in the gaps, and we can envision Greed might have been perfect in its original form. But I don't think we can assume that, and its current survived form is def not perfect for these reasons. It'd be great if the missing footage was found some day.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 02:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

I've never gotten around to Shoah due to the length. Only film on the They Shoot Pictures Don't They? list's top 100 films I haven't seen.

When I was in my late teens I saw Berlin Alexanderplatz in a theater over two days -- seven plus hours plus breaks both days. Ah, to be young and devil-may-care.

Quote:
could you elaborate some of what you like about The Lives of Others? You're definitely not alone, and that film's never clicked with me.

I liked it pretty well, but thought it was just a little bit simplistic compared to other contemporaneous foreign films.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 12:10
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I think 1/4 stars is going too far and getting way too specific. Like what's the difference between a 2-star movie and a 2 1/4-star movie? Simpler is better.

As for my ratings, I used to be lenient. I used to give a lot of high ratings. But I've gradually become less and less lenient over the years and now some may even consider me a harsh grader. I rarely give 9s and 10s these days. Movies I gave an x several years ago would probably be x - 1, or maybe even x - 2, by my standards today. But I haven't gone back into my letterbox'd and re-rated things. 1, that would take a long time. And 2, how do I know if a movie should be down-rated if I haven't re-watched it? So yeah, if you follow me on LB, my ratings def come with a margin of error. I'd rather make lists.

I also haven't given many 10s from this decade, The most recent one is Ex Machina. From 2018, I only gave three 9s.

badseed, there are a few debatable titles on your "True 5s" list. Every one of them that I've seen (except one) is at least an 8/10 in my book. But rather than debate something subjective, I'm just gonna call attention to one...Greed. The version that survived is butchered. So much content, entire story-lines, have been lost. The TCM reconstruction with stills and titles does a good job filling in the gaps, and we can envision Greed might have been perfect in its original form. But I don't think we can assume that, and its current survived form is def not perfect for these reasons. It'd be great if the missing footage was found some day.

Here, let me break it down for you (ignore the fact that half these words mean the same thing).

5 - perfect
4.75 - near perfect
4.5 - phenomenal
4.25 - outstanding
4 - great
3.75 - really freakin good
3.5 - really good
3.25 - pretty good
3 - good
2.75 - above average
2.5 - average
2.25 - below average
2- bad
1.75 - really bad
1.5 - awful
1.25 - shit
1- no redeeming value
0.75 - lost brain cells
0.5 - lost a year off my life
0.25 - instant suicide

I get your point regarding Greed but that was the first silent drama to ever click with me. I was quite young when I watched it and the impression stuck. Perhaps I'll reconsider if I watch it again but I was blown away back like 15 years ago.
  • Visit poster's website