2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 20:10
  • Post subject:
Hmm, I've been really really existentially confused about year-end lists this year, and I thought this would be a good place to rant about it.

So by January 18, I will have seen about 120 2018 releases. Of these:
*About 85% have a Fresh tomatoscore
*Probably 65-70% received a 3.5 or higher from Roger Ebert's site

So I mostly saw acclaimed releases this year, and because I live in Chicago, it was mostly in theatrical conditions as well. But while it seemed like all the critics I loved were able to include most of their favorites in a simple top 10 (despite often seeing twice to three times as many 2018 releases as me), it feels so hard for me to just fit all the films that blew my mind into a top 50 for me, and so many acclaimed gems like Annihilation and Zama and Hereditary and Madeline's Madeline and Burning and Shoplifters and Shirkers and Support the Girls I LOVED in theaters (or at in the the case of the last two, in my personal theater at home) but haven't connected to me as personally, and I feel soooooo guilty leaving them off just for that. (It also makes me worry that my taste isn't "cool" because those aren't on there, especially when movies like Fahrenheit 11/9 and Vox Lux make my top 50 instead)

In any case, here's a solid tentative version of what my top 10 might look like.

10. The Tale
9. Bodied
8. BlacKKKlansman
7. Jane
6. Revenge
5. Blindspotting
4. Roma
3. Sorry to Bother You
2. Nannette (yes, I count this as a movie)
1. Capernaum

I love how diverse my top 10 is, with three films directed by women and 5 directed by PoC, and how the only film directed by a white dude on the list is unapologetically feminist. But I still can't help but feel like my list is irredeemably "basic", especially when I see Obama able to lionize Burning in a way that I cannot.

Maybe I should be more binary with these acclaimed movies, being willing to be hostile towards them if they're not exactly what I want. But I now have to decide whether I should spend my final week before heading back to school rewatching movies like Zama and Annihilation and Hereditary (I already saw Madeline's Madeline a second time, which at least made me remember its charms), but then I'd have to take other things off if I like them. In short, criticism seems so paradoxical in this era, where we simultaneously believe that leaving movies off a list is a sin, but also feeling like liking everything is a sign you have no taste.

I'm confused.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 21:09
  • Post subject:
It sounds like you just need to make a bigger list.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen fewer movies this year than I have in a long time, so my list would be pretty "basic" as well. I've been more focused on "Sorry To Bother You" would definitely be near the top for me!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 21:37
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
but I feel like my list is irredeemably "basic"

I don't understand what you mean by "irredeemably basic." What is it supposed to look like? How is it irredeemable if it's true to your heart?

Applerill wrote:
criticism seems so paradoxical in this era, where we simultaneously believe that leaving movies off a list is a sin, but also feeling like liking everything is a sign you have no taste.

Huh? Who believes leaving a movie off a list is a sin?

Applerill wrote:
I'm confused.

Yes, clearly. But don't worry. You'll be able to post a full list of 50 films whenever the best of 2018 poll comes around. And I'm sure your list will be great.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 01/05/2019 22:02; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2019 21:40
  • Post subject:
This aired last night regarding the Oscars (watch in order):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtlGdPenbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWlAIbxoLmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl48N9ns-2M

Thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/06/2019 03:25
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Yes, clearly. But don't worry. You'll be able to post a full list of 50 films whenever the best of 2018 poll comes around. And I'm sure your list will be great.

Mr. Green

... I need to watch-up before that... Anxious

And don't worry Charlie, can't stress about being edgy. I found it wasn't a very deep year in cinema to dive into, but there's plenty of good stuff at the surface. Maybe give these a shot, if I think I understand what you're going for.

An Elephant Sitting Still (Hu Bo)
Nuestro Tiempo (Reygadas)
Dead Souls (Wang Bing)
The Mountain (Rick Alverson)
Le Livre D'image (Godard)
Climax (Noe)
Long Day’s Journey Into Night (Bi Gan)
A Bread Factory 1 & 2 (Patrick Wang)

Go collect them indie points. Also, glad you enjoyed Roma. I won't bother posting a top 10 for awhile (at least until post-Oscars) but it's probably #1 of the year for me right now. Speaking of:

Quote:

Thoughts?

I reeeeaaallly don't give a damn about the controversy, but being said, I'm not too hot on Kevin Hart in general and find his humour a bit blunt. I'd much rather see John Oliver or Dave Chappelle host (especially considering the later's in the film that'll most likely win Best Picture). Could even see Lin-Manuel Miranda doing a good job. Doesn't particularly matter, but I'm not one to vote 'no host', it makes everything feel a little disjointed. Feels like years ago Kevin Spacey hosted the Tony's Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 04:28
  • Post subject:
I wanna watch da bred factry soooooo bad, but it no play anywhere n Chicago Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 04:52
  • Post subject:
Also, unless they somehow get onto my soulseek in the next 13 days, Image Book and Climax are both solidly 2019 movies for me. The former is coming to the Siskel Film Center in February, where I plan to see it once on release, and a second time in a super-Charli double feature with the new Lego Movie. I'm probably gonna see Climax at the Music Box in April.

I really liked An Elephant Standing Still, and even was talking to a set of academics at the Siskel Film Center about Dead Souls. It's probably too long for me though. I tried to get into Til Madness Do Us Part, but part of me worried as a disability scholar that it would be ableist, so I quickly became impatient.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 17:59
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

I reeeeaaallly don't give a damn about the controversy, but being said, I'm not too hot on Kevin Hart in general and find his humour a bit blunt. I'd much rather see John Oliver or Dave Chappelle host (especially considering the later's in the film that'll most likely win Best Picture). Could even see Lin-Manuel Miranda doing a good job. Doesn't particularly matter, but I'm not one to vote 'no host', it makes everything feel a little disjointed. Feels like years ago Kevin Spacey hosted the Tony's Laughing

Got a problem with blunt humour? You'd love Lewis Black, lol. Jokes aside, even though the DeGeneres-Hart interview doesn't have much to do with the movies, it does have a lot to do with the Oscars, which is why I posted it. I understand why many don't care about the controversy. But I feel slightly connected to it. Yes some people in the industry have done some very bad things, i.e. Weinstein. However there is some witch-hunting and trolling going around too. Like Hart said, somebody dug through 10 years and tens of thousands of tweets. Whoever that person was, it must have taken him/her hours. Bravo, that was time well spent. And now there's no host for Oscars. I respect Hart's decision to step down, because he doesn't want to be a distraction (like Affleck last year). But like Ellen said, by stepping down, Hart is letting the trolls win.

I don't know. It's a strange situation. I'd like to see Hart come back and host the show. But not because I think he'd make a good host. But because trolls and haters shouldn't win. We'll see.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/07/2019 07:10
  • Post subject:
Can't remember the last time nearly my guesses for an awards show were wrong Neutral

Bohemian Rhapsody...

?????

That has to be the strangest BP Drama choice at the Golden Globes since... *scrolls*

Ever.

Weird.

Did anybody on BEA like it? (Just curious, cause music n all)
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2019 07:59
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
With the golden globes all that matters is what's being passed under the table

Rami Malek was fun to watch and think "man just a little while ago this dude was in that one video game Until Dawn", and it was funny to see the boy from Jurassic Park as an adult but I would not say it was noteworthy beyond that.
  • Visit poster's website