2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2019 19:10
  • Post subject:
Yeah, pretty confused. Heard it's pretty bad. Looks pretty bad. I'm a pretty big Queen fan to be honest and I've never been so turned off by a music biopic in my life. And honestly I don't care how much drama they might have, both Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born being in the drama category is odd considering most music-related films in the past have been in the Musical/Comedy category.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2019 23:53
  • Post subject:
Rotten Tomatoes says it's the worst-reviewed Best Picture winner in 33 years: 62% on RT. Haven't seen it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2019 01:46
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Rotten Tomatoes says it's the worst-reviewed Best Picture winner in 33 years: 62% on RT. Haven't seen it.

To be fair... it didn't win... like the Best Picture. Still the Golden Globes. And, truly, I'd be surprised if it even got a BP nom at the Oscars.

Quote:
Yeah, pretty confused. Heard it's pretty bad. Looks pretty bad. I'm a pretty big Queen fan to be honest and I've never been so turned off by a music biopic in my life. And honestly I don't care how much drama they might have, both Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born being in the drama category is odd considering most music-related films in the past have been in the Musical/Comedy category.

Haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but I agree with A Star Is Born. I get that they don't break out in random song in the film (like a musical), but there's still an original song every dozen or so minutes. Definitely more of a comedy/musical than The Martian, Pride & Prejudice, Inside Llewyn Davis, Get Out, or Her(!). But whatever... the Golden Globes have always made strange categorization calls.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2019 10:14
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
To be fair... it didn't win... like the Best Picture. Still the Golden Globes.

Yeah, I meant whatever the Golden Globes call the category, Best Dramatic Film or whatever. Rotten Tomatoes may have been including both the Drama and Musical or Comedy categories.

Always knew the Golden Globes were less than fully credible, but was reminded the other day that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association only has 95 members -- it's possible for a movie to win with only 15 votes.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2019 19:37
  • Post subject:
Bohemian Rhapsody was fine. I mean, it was fun to watch, and Rami Malek did a really solid job, but it was pretty meh.

I've always said that biopics can be tough, and this one can be filed under biopics that are basically living versions of a person's Wikipedia page.

Also, the script was band-approved, and you can totally tell Brian May shoved in as many reminders that he major in astrophysics as he could.

OH an let's set up the scene for the most contrived part of the movie:

Freddie Mercury is leaving a clinic, having just found out he has AIDS. As he's walking towards the door, a man in the waiting room sees him, looks up at him incredulously and says "WAAAYYY-OH"

Freddie gets to the door. He stops. Close up on the back of his head. He turns his head to the left, looks down a little, and in a quiet, dejected tone, he replies:

"....way-oh."

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2019 21:05
  • Post subject:
I was a big A Star is Born fan. Watching that film was event to me, when it came out it had massive word of mouth that is very rare in my town because I'm an hour away from the nearest theater. I knew from the moment I saw it that it would be my favorite for Oscar season. Its just the sort of old fashioned film you just don't see now.

I can't really judge Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody because I haven't seen either, but it was sort of frustrating to see them take a few major awards.

I honestly thought going into the Golden Globes that the drama category was weak and that A Star is Born would walk away with Actor, Actress and Best Picture drama. As you know I was disappointed.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2019 00:37
  • Post subject:
I have a honest question. Why would any movie buff give a crap about the Golden Globes? Better yet, why does anyone in general give a crap about the Golden Globes? I understand Oscars. But can somebody please tell me why they care about the globes.

Anyway I saw Vice today. It was a little underwhelming to be honest. I had pretty high hopes for that movie too. Oh well.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2019 01:59
  • Post subject:
I'm admittedly not as discerning in cinema as I am with music, but I really thought Green Book was outstanding. Would be pleased to see it win multiple awards in either venue.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2019 03:07
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I have a honest question. Why would any movie buff give a crap about the Golden Globes? Better yet, why does anyone in general give a crap about the Golden Globes? I understand Oscars. But can somebody please tell me why they care about the globes.

Anyway I saw Vice today. It was a little underwhelming to be honest. I had pretty high hopes for that movie too. Oh well.

The golden globes are the only worth watching, because the celebrities get lit up.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2019 19:36
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but I agree with A Star Is Born. I get that they don't break out in random song in the film (like a musical), but there's still an original song every dozen or so minutes. Definitely more of a comedy/musical than The Martian, Pride & Prejudice, Inside Llewyn Davis, Get Out, or Her(!). But whatever... the Golden Globes have always made strange categorization calls.

Inside Llewyn Davis and Her are definitely comedies, IMO. Very dark, sad comedies, but comedies nonetheless. But yeah it's kinda insulting to horror fans that the one horror film that has been taken more seriously by critics than any in decades gets put in the comedy category. The only comedy in Get Out was the friend who's in just a few scenes. Lots of movies have comedic relief but that doesn't make it a comedy.
  • Visit poster's website