2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 17:26
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
At least they are listening to people's opinions. I think they just need to get more creative. There are definitely things that can be done to improve the show. They just need to be a bit more clever.

What are some of your ideas?

I have a couple ideas to trim the show.

1. Get rid of the song performances. I'm sure you've noticed the award for original song takes up more time of the show than best picture, actor, actress, and director combined. It's also the only award where the losers take the stage once and the winner takes the stage twice. Talk about a waste of time. And they have the nerve to rush winners of "minor" categories off the stage for semi-long acceptance speeches, but they'll give losers five minutes each to perform their song that few people give a crap about.

2. This idea came from friend. Remove the three shorts categories from the main ceremony, and put them at the Governors Awards. I know it's rough for the filmmakers, but viewers don't tune in for that.

As for other ideas, I agree with Villain they should make it more creative, more fun. The show comes off as elitist, and is basically millionaires congratulating millionaires. And then the acceptance speeches are half political, the other half kissing ass. I don't think they acknowledge the fans enough.

Hayden wrote:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/anonymous-oscar-ballot-director-richard-e-grant-rachel-weisz-1202044997/

Just a cool interview from an anonymous source about the voting process. Figured I'd share. Always nice to read some personalized input from the members.

Good read. I like preferential voting. Sometimes it's hard to pick one (although this year it isn't, BlacKKKlansman). But I can see how that creates a Rotten Tomatoes Effect, which is not really a good thing but it's not the worst thing either. I'm pretty sure that's how Shape of Water won last year.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 17:38
  • Post subject:
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is if they spread some of the big awards out over the course of the broadcast. Big awards I generally mean director, acting and picture. I would say that some people maybe just choose to not watch the Oscars because they drag it out too long and only present the awards that most people want to see right at the end.

I know sometimes the supporting actor award comes early, but it does sort of annoy me that the awards that I'm most interested in often come when the broadcast is crunched for time and the winners end up being pushed off the stage before they really get a change to have their moment.

I also agree that the songs need to go. I see that Queen has been tapped for a performance this year. Maybe you bring a band up for a song who isn't even nominated? I'm sure some will think that's a stupid idea, but they could sort of do a halftime show thing where a band comes out and plays a song or two like Queen likely will and then you don't have to do 5 other performers, but it still sort of gives us a break from presentations over a 3 hour broadcast. This idea would work well too with an Elton John movie coming out next year.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 17:55
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's how Shape of Water won last year.

Nah, that was in the bag. Only film that might have held a candle to it was Three Billboards. Not that the other films were bad (they were mostly quite good) but none of them particularly said 'best picture'.

On this year's subject, is anybody else lost as to how Regina King is tapped to be the sup actress frontrunner? It's a shame a Stone/Weisz tie is highly unlikely, but I'd put either one of them leagues ahead of King (it's not the popular opinion, but if I had a ballot I think I'd check off Stone). I'd even say Marina de Tavira deserves it more. I think If Beale Street Could Talk was a pretty solid film, and I don't have anything against it, but unless I'm missing some nuances, there were at least 4 better performances in the film that deserved to be nominated. I think I would've preferred to have seen Foy/Yeoh/Blunt/Debicki/Swinton in that slot. It's also a shame Adams is nominated again for a role she clearly won't win for... that Arrival snub was unfortunate.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 18:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:
It's also a shame Adams is nominated again for a role she clearly won't win for... that Arrival snub was unfortunate.

Agreed, she was definitely my pick to win prior to the nominations in 2016. Adams in Arrival and Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler were the two biggest snubs of the last decade off the top of my head. In my opinion of course.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 18:23
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Quote:
It's also a shame Adams is nominated again for a role she clearly won't win for... that Arrival snub was unfortunate.

Agreed, she was definitely my pick to win prior to the nominations in 2016. Adams in Arrival and Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler were the two biggest snubs of the last decade off the top of my head. In my opinion of course.

Yeah, those are definitely up there.

Keeping in mind Joaquin Phoenix somehow doesn't have an Oscar, his snub for Her tops my list. It's a bizarre oversight considering the other noms the film got... looking back, it seems like a no-brainer for him to have won it.

Ralph Fiennes in the Grand Budapest Hotel, Spall for Mr Turner, and Tilda Swinton for We Need To Talk About Kevin are also in that circle... and probably David Oyelowo in Selma. 2014 was stuffed. Add a couple years and Sally Hawkins not getting a nom for Happy-Go-Lucky is also a shame. Non-English acting isn't their forte, but Jean-Louis Trintignant (Amour) and Mads Mikkelson (The Hunt) were definitely more deserving than some other noms those years.

Not that it matters. But yeah. There's been some weird choices (within the 'Oscar realm' of course)

EDIT: And Tremblay in Room. Forgot he didn't get a nom.

Last edited by Hayden on 02/19/2019 18:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 18:25
  • Post subject:
@ Hayden, I'm not so sure about The Shape of Water. Imagine last year's vote without preferential balloting. I think Get Out or Three Billboards could have pulled it off. I think Shape of Water still would have had a slight edge. But with preferential balloting, Shape of Water was easily the favorite.

I had no idea Regina King was the front-runner. I figured it was Weisz or Stone. If none of three actresses from The Favourite win...

...well that would explain Amy Adams two years ago. I'm certain her snub that year was a result of having two great lead performances in the same year, the other being Nocturnal Animals. Voters were split on which performance to nominate so she ended up not getting either. It sucked, but that's how it goes. I hope a similar thing doesn't occur for Weisz and Stone, easily the best two of that category.

Nightcrawler, smh.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 18:37
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I had no idea Regina King was the front-runner. I figured it was Weisz or Stone. If none of three actresses from The Favourite win...

Can't blame you, but yeah. It doesn't feel like a standout performance in the slightest. I think the acting frontrunners are Malek/ Close/ Ali/ King, which... (I hate to be a hater here)... looks bad. I thought Malek was borderline SNL, Close was okay, King was okay, and while Ali was quite good it was probably the meatiest 'supporting' role in recent memory, which almost feels like cheating. Apart form Ali, they're all my least favourite nominated. I'd much rather see Cooper/ Aparicio (or Colman... or Gaga...)/ Richard E. Grant/ Stone & Weisz take them.

Sadly, I don't think The Favourite will go home with an acting award. Like I said, I'd totally be up for Stone or Weisz (or a tie) for that category, but I don't see it happening Confused
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 18:37
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Keeping in mind Joaquin Phoenix somehow doesn't have an Oscar, his snub for Her tops my list. It's a bizarre oversight considering the other noms the film got... looking back, it seems like a no-brainer for him to have won it.

You Were Never Really Here has been snubbed this year and its a shame. Films like that were obviously made to simply be good films and not awards darlings. My guess is that it was snubbed because there wasn't enough money to put behind a decent campaign for the film. As unfair as it is, these awards shows rely heavily on who is spending the money on a campaign.

Joaquin Phoenix has to be due for a legacy win one of these years. He's easily one of the strongest actors of his generation. If Glenn Close takes home an award on Sunday a lot of it will be based on the Academy's failure to reward her prior to that.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 19:11
  • Post subject:
Don't forget Joaquin Phoenix has talked shit on Oscars. That's why he didn't get nominated for Her, and will probably not be nominated ever again. But that hasn't ended his career, as directors still love working with Phoenix. Good for him.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2019 19:15
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Don't forget Joaquin Phoenix has talked shit on Oscars. That's why he didn't get nominated for Her, and will probably not be nominated ever again. But that hasn't ended his career, as directors still love working with Phoenix. Good for him.

Agreed, good for him. I always like seeing my favorite actors get honored, but if they don't care about winning a gold statue then that's great. Going without an Oscar doesn't make you any less talented. I think most people know that these awards aren't necessarily that meaningful, but they're a very fun discussion point.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website