2018 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/10/2019 00:59
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Anyway I saw Vice today. It was a little underwhelming to be honest. I had pretty high hopes for that movie too. Oh well.

I'd go as far as saying it's bad. Maybe particularly for non-Americans. Despite aiming for a repeat, it's nowhere close to The Big Short. I didn't find it funny or even terribly informative Neutral Possibly in my bottom 10 of the year regardless of the acting being dead-on across the board. The editing was insufferably immature and the script was a slog. I know it's not being universally praised, but I'm even surprised at the love it's getting. 2018 might go down as the year of incredible acting performances landing in bad films.

Quote:
Inside Llewyn Davis and Her are definitely comedies, IMO. Very dark, sad comedies, but comedies nonetheless.

Inside Llewyn Davis maaaaaaybe, but definitely not Her. It's been a favourite of mine since it came out, and there's definitely some comedic bits here-and-there, but the overall film lands more on a sci-fi/romance mixture (making a bold assumption they aren't considering it a musical). Doesn't really matter, was just throwing some names out there that've landed in the category somehow. I'm with you on Get Out.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 01:15
  • Post subject:
I'm most surprised at The Martian and Her.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 02:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Anyway I saw Vice today. It was a little underwhelming to be honest. I had pretty high hopes for that movie too. Oh well.

I'd go as far as saying it's bad. Maybe particularly for non-Americans. Despite aiming for a repeat, it's nowhere close to The Big Short. I didn't find it funny or even terribly informative Neutral Possibly in my bottom 10 of the year regardless of the acting being dead-on across the board. The editing was insufferably immature and the script was a slog. I know it's not being universally praised, but I'm even surprised at the love it's getting. 2018 might go down as the year of incredible acting performances landing in bad films.

Despite its liberal bias, Vice was full of historically accurate information so I wouldn't say it's not informative. But yeah, it def lacked the bite and wit of Big Short. There were some humorous moments, but not nearly as many as I hoped for. I also didn't care for some its documentary-style techniques. But great performance from Bale. I wouldn't call Vice bad but still a disappointment. I think the love it's getting is mostly goodwill left over from The Big Short.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I have a honest question. Why would any movie buff give a crap about the Golden Globes? Better yet, why does anyone in general give a crap about the Golden Globes? I understand Oscars. But can somebody please tell me why they care about the globes.

The golden globes are the only worth watching, because the celebrities get lit up.

Wait, what? I've never watched a Golden Globes show in my life, but are you telling me the celebrities are shitfaced during the show? Lol. That might make the show itself somewhat entertaining. But I'm still waiting for an answer as to why someone cares about what gets nominated and awarded at the Globes. Anyone?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 05:30
  • Post subject:
Here's an article with some fun moments.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment...es-moments
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 06:34
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
But I'm still waiting for an answer as to why someone cares about what gets nominated and awarded at the Globes. Anyone?

At some point, the winners started being perceived as an indicator of what and who would win the major Oscar awards, and that gave them a bit of a credibility boost.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 18:19
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Wait, what? I've never watched a Golden Globes show in my life, but are you telling me the celebrities are shitfaced during the show? Lol. That might make the show itself somewhat entertaining. But I'm still waiting for an answer as to why someone cares about what gets nominated and awarded at the Globes. Anyone?

Because it's a movie awards show. Because it's interesting to see what people think is best. Because there is something aesthetically pleasing about your favorite handsome actor holding an award despite the fact that he's never gonna win an Oscar in his life.

I don't know, not trying to be a smartass because I know they lack credibility when it comes to picking the right films, but is there really a right film? Why do we like the Oscars or the Grammys or even the BEA year end awards?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 20:42
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
But I'm still waiting for an answer as to why someone cares about what gets nominated and awarded at the Globes. Anyone?
badseed wrote:
Because it's a movie awards show.
Big deal.

badseed wrote:
Because it's interesting to see what people think is best.
Hmm, okay.

badseed wrote:
Because there is something aesthetically pleasing about your favorite handsome actor holding an award despite the fact that he's never gonna win an Oscar in his life.
Never say never. But this kind of makes sense.

badseed wrote:
I don't know, not trying to be a smartass because I know they lack credibility when it comes to picking the right films, but is there really a right film? Why do we like the Oscars?

Personally I'm indifferent/casually interested in the Oscars, but I understand the appeal. And no, of course there is no "right film."

PurpleHazel wrote:
At some point, the [Golden Globe] winners started being perceived as an indicator of what and who would win the major Oscar awards, and that gave them a bit of a credibility boost.

Yeah I don't know how or when that happened, but it isn't true. The Globes are not, and never have been, a clear indicator of what the AMPAS will nominate and award. Sometimes the Globes and the Oscars have several mutual picks. Sometimes they're wildly different. And there's an obvious reason to this. The people who decide on the Globes are not the same people who decide the Oscars. One is decided by members of the Hollywood Foreign Press, aka journalists. The other is decided by members of the AMPAS, aka the Academy, aka people who actually work in the industry and actually make the films. So yeah...Globes are never a reliable indicator.

I'm sure many of you know this already, but for those interested, and those who love to gamble on the Oscars, look to the WGA, SAG, DGA, and PGA Awards. Members of the AMPAS are also members of these various guilds. They're a much clearer indicator of what will win the Oscars than the Globes.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Here's an article with some fun moments.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment...es-moments

Laughing Oh my goodness. Thank you Rocka for sharing this. Those videos were hilarious and made my day. Wow, I never knew the stars got shitfaced at the Golden Globes ceremony. Good to know they take it so seriously. The Globes may lack credibility with their picks, but hey at least they know how to make their ceremony a good time. Isn't that what the movies are about?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2019 03:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I skipped out on both Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book on initial release, and while the latter is currently playing at the AMC Block 37 across the street from where I’m seeing Chris Marker’s The Owl’s Legacy tomorrow l, I feel like continuing to ignore it is the responsible thing to do. The world doesn’t need me defending racist, homophobic movies made my toxic people.

It just seems so strange, though; we had one of the best years in all of cinema this 2018, and these are the front runners? Let’s hope that the new academy demographics will lead to smarter choices.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/14/2019 06:31
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Yeah, I skipped out on both Bohemian Rhapsody

Don't think you're missing much. Just gave the screener a watch and it felt like an ad Neutral It's not even close to as enjoyable as Love & Mercy, which is kinda a similar formula. Some people are saying he's the saving grace, but I even felt Malek was off. The dubbed-in singing is comedically bad in contrast to his accent. I could go on, but frankly I don't have a lot of positives to say about any of it.

EDIT: And this, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/go...=tt_trv_gf
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/14/2019 07:38
  • Post subject:
The oscars are just an excuse for hollywood and the apparently sunday-entertainment deprived audience to get drunk and make fun of people's million-dollar fashion mistakes. The actual honor of the awards is in the end not really different than any industry awards show, only with prettier faces. Whoever gets nominated and whoever wins is just an advertisement-duel between Companies looking for bought-and-paid prestige. Maybe it's time to spend all that money on something halfway important, but obviously what would early march be without loud, sassy fashion-police tabloid columns? I have no internet
  • Visit poster's website