http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/t...band-most/

Thoughts?
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 19:39
  • Post subject:
But I don't.

The first U2 albums in my life were The Joshua Tree and All That You Can't Leave Behind. Neither is a top U2 album for me.

The first Radiohead albums I heard were Pablo Honey and The Bends. Neither is a top Radiohead album for me, and I rank A Moon Shaped Pool third in Radiohead's discography.

The first Bjork album I owned was Volta, and I've scarcely listened to it as I prefer Homogenic, Vespertine, Utopia, Post, Debut, etc.

The first Cocteau Twins album I heard was Treasure, but I'm a Blue Bell Knoll guy.

On and on. For most of the bands where the statement holds true, it's biased by the fact that I tend to start with a consensus "best album" when diving into a new artist, so my first exposure to Talk Talk wasn't their Duran Duran cover days and I didn't get into Susanne Sundfor through her self-titled or Take One albums.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 19:51
  • Post subject:
yeah with this article, there's interesting stuff about repetition and how the novelty of your first exposure to what an artist is doing can influence the status an album has for you, but mostly this guy just wants an excuse for liking U2 - Pop so much.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 20:28
  • Post subject:
Some albums that I do give 100 ends up being the first album I ever hear from the artist. But there are times I might give a different record in there discog where the 100 will end up going to a different album. Would definitely change what is my favorite album from Joni Mitchell. But other acts? Don't know.
  • Visit poster's website
TheHutts

New Zealand

• Posted: 05/16/2018 20:31
  • Post subject:
First album I hear isn't always my favourite, but I'm often favourably inclined towards it. I generally find I like the first album I hear from an artist more than the consensus on Best Ever Albums or whatever. So I think there's some truth in the article.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/16/2018 21:04
  • Post subject:
Out of Time is probably my least favourite R.E.M. album.

Debunked.

For real though I think this is science based on 'normal people' rather than the BEA demographic.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 21:17
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
yeah with this article, there's interesting stuff about repetition and how the novelty of your first exposure to what an artist is doing can influence the status an album has for you, but mostly this guy just wants an excuse for liking U2 - Pop so much.
Robert Spuhler wrote:
if my first real experience with U2’s music was Pop, it would mean that my brain was establishing a schema, a platonic ideal, for what a U2 album sounded like.

I definitely agree the science of novelty and first exposure is what makes the article intriguing, but I wouldn't say Mr. Spuhler is using it as an excuse for liking Pop. I think there's a factual basis there. Obviously it varies person to person, and we can only speak of our own experiences. As for me and U2, my first exposure was the song 'Vertigo.' I was in high school at an impressionable age when it was released. I really liked the song back then. I've since grown to appreciate their '80s stuff much more, and I understand now why so many fans hate the song. But to this day, I still don't mind Vertigo.

craola wrote:
For most of the bands where the statement holds true, it's biased by the fact that I tend to start with a consensus "best album" when diving into a new artist...

Good point. I was thinking about that too when reading the article. The article doesn't address this, but when people first experience an artist, they often choose the "consensus best" song or album as their first exposure. But I don't think that applies to Mr. Spuhler. He didn't choose Pop as his first U2 album; It just happened to be released during his impressionable years.

I think it's also worth noting the time period. When Pop was released in 1997 and made an impact on Mr. Spuhler, the internet couldn't tell you what the consensus thought of an album or song, nor was there Youtube, Spotify, Apple Music, or Napster to easily listen to something for yourself. Thus in this day and age, it's much easier to hear the consensus and then choose what your first exposure to an artist will be than it was 20 years ago.
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2018 13:51
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

For real though I think this is science based on 'normal people' rather than the BEA demographic.

This ^^^^^
  • Visit poster's website
benfitzuk

• Posted: 05/17/2018 17:50
  • Post subject: Great bands never nail it first time
I feel like no truly legendary band has really nailed it first time round, it always takes a couple of albums for them to really perfect it.
Perfect examples:
-The Smiths<The Queen is dead
-Please Please me<Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts club band
-The Rolling Stones<Let it bleed
-David Bowie<Rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars
I feel bands like arctic monkeys and arcade fire, where their debut albums are currently their best, have not ended their careers yet so could still have an absolute banger coming out.
I don't know just an input
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2018 22:47
  • Post subject:
I've only had this experience with one group, Mahavishnu Orchestra with "The Inner Mounting Flame." I feel like the claim has some merit because we would be nostalgic for the music we were first exposed to. I guess that's why everybody is attached to music that they grew up with, since it was in a formidable part of life.
  • Visit poster's website