Classic french songs (sung in french)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/18/2018 13:37
  • Post subject: Classic french songs (sung in french)
My chart is filled with british and american records but I love french songs too !
So let’s start, one at a time

#1 Champagne (1979) Jacques Higelin (1940-2018)

This 1979 hit in France (13 weeks in the charts) is an interesting blend of cabaret melody and new wave style. Played with just piano and bass, it’s entertaining throughout, thanks to the interpretation of Jacques Higelin (reminiscent of Charles Trenet), the dark arrangements, and the wacky, baroque lyrics.

Link

• Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2018 07:53
  • Post subject:
That was fun. The music sounds like one of those ones that Lotte Lenya used to sing. Like in the thirties or forties or something, they were like theater songs or something. I guess Cabaret. But those were in German I guess, but the music sounds similar. I don't know French so I didn't understand what this guy was saying though.

I only know a couple French songs. I bet you know these ones. Even though I don't speak French I kind of learned to sing along with them just by faking It. I even looked up the translation.

Comme Un Oiseau Qui S'envole ......Grace Jones
https://youtu.be/vkooy12R-z0

Soleil D' Egypte.....Natacha Atlas
https://youtu.be/MNofsy-1R4Y
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/20/2018 09:02
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
That was fun. The music sounds like one of those ones that Lotte Lenya used to sing. Like in the thirties or forties or something, they were like theater songs or something. I guess Cabaret. But those were in German I guess, but the music sounds similar. I don't know French so I didn't understand what this guy was saying though.

The lyrics ? It’s basicaly Thriller (the song) before its time, i.e not so interesting in itself, but good as a song ensemble.
Thanks for the Lotte Lenya reference. Well spoted. Indeed it made me think of some old theatre song but didn’t have any names in mind.

Last edited by Yann on 05/21/2018 21:10; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/20/2018 09:13
  • Post subject: Classic french songs (sung in french) Un Autre Monde
# 2 Un autre monde (1984) Téléphone

The importance of the producer: given this song’s birth date, it could have had some heavy 80’s attributes, but the producer, Glyn Johns (The Who, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, etc) made it a timeless classic rock, especially with the drums (Johns’ specialty)
Speaking of which, Un Autre Monde was originally composed as an atmospheric track by Louis Bertignac (who was then convalescing after a fracture of his collarbone on stage). But Richard Kolinka, the drummer, disagreed with this, and suggested to add his affirmed touch.

Link

Last edited by Yann on 05/21/2018 21:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/21/2018 14:49
  • Post subject:
The whole discography of Téléphone is definitely worth checking out: good old punk but with an interesting French twist: their best song to me is La Bombe Humaine.

Another really nice one is:
Puta's Fever by Mano Negra which was one of the first band of Manu Chao. I don't really like his later work but this album is top notch.

And then two similar artists: Renaud and Cali: they both have a bit a spoken word voice but really good songs.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 18:18
  • Post subject:
The "Flower Duet" from Lakme by Delibes is famous and also great. You should check out French classical music....
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/21/2018 21:05
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
The whole discography of Téléphone is definitely worth checking out: good old punk but with an interesting French twist: their best song to me is La Bombe Humaine.

Another really nice one is: Puta's Fever by Mano Negra which was one of the first band of Manu Chao. I don't really like his later work but this album is top notch.

And then two similar artists: Renaud and Cali: they both have a bit a spoken word voice but really good songs.

Puta's Fever is definitely a good, kaleidoscopic, energetic, "latin" album.
Renaud has good songs indeed (and a strange thug accent): Mistral Gagnant will be in this diary : )
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 05/21/2018 21:07
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
The "Flower Duet" from Lakme by Delibes is famous and also great. You should check out French classical music....

you're right, I could search for classic classical songs like that !

edit : Actually, the Flower Duet is more popular internationally than most of the track that will appear in this diary (with a few exceptions)
(So in most cases “classic french songs” mean classics in France or in french-speaking countries)

Last edited by Yann on 05/22/2018 20:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 03:17
  • Post subject:
I just thought of an entire album that I have that's sung in French. Even a really good version of the famous "Je T'Aime".

Je T'aime by Saint Tropez
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 03:29
  • Post subject: Re: Classic french songs (sung in french) Un Autre Monde
Yann wrote:
# 2 Un autre monde (1984) Téléphone

The importance of the producer: given this song’s birth date, it could have had some heavy 80’s attributes, but the producer, Glyn Johns (The Who, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, etc) made it a timeless classic rock, especially with the drums (Johns’ specialty)
Speaking of which, Un Autre Monde was originally composed as an atmospheric track by Louis Bertignac (who was then convalescing after a fracture of his collarbone on stage). But Richard Kolinka, the drummer, disagreed with this, and suggested to add his affirmed touch.

Link

That was cool.
  • Visit poster's website