craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 17:29
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
YoungPunk wrote:

I'm not surprised you are so young because you do not realize that unlike Tupac and Biggie, these rappers are talking like real men. Also there music is artsy. I thought you were a prog person... Unless black people do it I guess.....

lol wut

I am going through a quarter life crisis and was sober all weekend (I even went to church where everyone was wearing red for some reason...) and had to make up for it... Still feeling it so...

People murdered because of The Beatles Maxwell's Silver Hammer: 0

Girls Turned into Strippers because of Elvis' dancing: 0

Get over it!!!

...and The Beatles' Helter Skelter?

ETA: I don't think we're on the same page, and I'm quite sober, but I've lost all sense of what you're talking about. I meant, how many people were murdered on account of Helter Skelter? But I have no clue what you're talking about now, and I suppose it's likely I misinterpreted you all along.... so there's that.

Last edited by craola on 05/22/2018 17:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/22/2018 17:33
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
YoungPunk wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
YoungPunk wrote:

I'm not surprised you are so young because you do not realize that unlike Tupac and Biggie, these rappers are talking like real men. Also there music is artsy. I thought you were a prog person... Unless black people do it I guess.....

lol wut

I am going through a quarter life crisis and was sober all weekend (I even went to church where everyone was wearing red for some reason...) and had to make up for it... Still feeling it so...

People murdered because of The Beatles Maxwell's Silver Hammer: 0

Girls Turned into Strippers because of Elvis' dancing: 0

Get over it!!!

...and The Beatles' Helter Skelter?

If the Beatles were as good music as Migos I would've heard that, but they aren't...
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 18:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
An important thing to note is that the album is all produced and written by Max Tundra, except for the Captain Beefheart cover at the end.

I'll try to be succinct (edit: lol), but it's an 18 year story for me now I guess, going back to high school and getting obsessed with Max Tundra - Some Best Friend You Turned Out To Be (technically it really got going 17 years ago, sophomore year photo class I had the development chemical process timed out based on where I was at in the album). Then 2 years later, Mastered By The Guy At The Exchange started off his whole synthpop sound (though I guess the Paul McCartney cover is the real start, a version of it without vocals is on SBFYTOTB), and at the time I was actually a little miffed because I saw it as a part of a trend that was bothering me. All these musicians I liked from their instrumental work started adding vocals, probably so that they'd actually be able to play live and survive as musicians now that everyone was done paying for recorded music. Which of course is fair and all but I didn't really see it that way at the time.
And then on top of that the style of the vocals was weirdly proper sounding, like Tundra and the sister he enlisted to do some vocals had an approach where it was sort of like emphasizing pitch like a choir singer instead of bringing out the idiosyncratic vocal character. He has a cover of So Long, Farewell, from the Sound Of Music, and I guess it gets at the cognitive dissonance I feel because I really do hate musical singing and how there's something about how deliberate it is, and there is a connection to this and Tundra's approach to vocals. But yeah, these vocals would sound sort of thin and vanilla in comparison to the vocals that I was all \m/ about. But eventually I came around to enjoying the sound of it and appreciating that he wasn't just going for popularity, but using the synthpop style to push into even weirder and more elaborate compositions than his first one

So then 6 years pass, and he comes out with his next step forward with synthpop. It's just him singing, without any family assistance, but he's gotten a lot better at doing it. It's still kind weird but it's less thin and more confident, more able to nail the hard parts. This step up isn't just limited to the vocals, everything about the album seems improved, more exciting, more details, even more unexpected detours. I'm blown away and left wondering how he could possibly follow it up. The last track's lyrics reference a production of The Holy Mountain on Ice, like the movie, but performed by people on ice skates, presumably singing. Something on that level seemed like the only possible next step, and even though I will always now and forever dislike musicals, I feel like that is something I could get into.

7 years pass. It's 2015, Tundra puts out an album of old stuff from the archives, but there hasn't been anything new. And then I see that there's a video for a Daphne & Celeste song, You & I Alone, written and produced by Tundra. I get super excited! There's a sort of maturity to it, everything has plenty of room to breathe but there's still so much going on. I think "hey maybe now he can actually get at a level of popularity where his art can be done in collaboration with capitalism instead of in spite of it" but it doesn't leave me thinking he's going to be topping Parallax for synthpop. But then enough time passes and the song doesn't really seem to make waves and I think "well that's probably it then".

3 years pass and then this album actually happens and You & I Alone turns out to be an outlier and actually the tracks are crazy busy and make no accommodations for anyone who needs space. It takes the elaborate style of composition in Parallax and brings it into even greater focus, where there's so much stimulation constantly but still a clarity in structure so that with something like 16 Stars, when you get the little bit that happened around 21 seconds in, and then when it comes back in at 1:13, every part of the music that is different on this repetition, the quality of the synths and drums and singing that have changed, that's all completely earned by what the song did to get thru all the 40 seconds between there. And then when it's revealed that the first one was just a tease and this part holds on to the consistency longer, it feels like I'm just slamming down on my brain's dopamine button and it is so amazingly satisfying. And that kind of thing happens a lot on this album. I could go on and on about this like I haven't even talked about how great Daphne & Celeste are at doing Tundra's approach to vocals, but I've already written a lot.

TL;DR, I think this is the high point of a musician I've been paying attention to for more than half of my life and I can totally get how people wouldn't be into this but I've listened to this 18 times since it came out, most recently last Wednesday, and my appreciation for it is only continuing to grow. For reference, my next most listened to thing is 11 times with Jay Glass Dubs & Leslie Winer - YMFEES, which is another thing that a lot of people don't care for but actually is totally amazing. But yeah even with Autechre's NTS Sessions coming out this year, putting Daphne & Celeste at the top of my 2018 list here is an easy call for me and if anything gets above it then this will end up as my favorite year of the decade probably. I've listened to each NTS Session at least 4 times too so it's not like that's not a big deal too because it is.

edit: 19 times now with D&C, writing this up made me want to listen to it again. also I should note that I'm not without complaints on this album. in the skit that opens BB, the part where they say "this is the first thing you figure out when you get a guitar", the end gets cut off a little. that's it tho.

Thank you for writing this out. The context helps a lot. I'm planning on listening to the album again this afternoon, so we'll see how this goes.

A note on musicals - I believe musicals can be done in a "right" way that wouldn't be so tacky... I'm not holdling my breath for it, but I'd love to see one that went a little bit abstract and used the music less literally, more poetically, etc. ... and, well, I guess what I envision isn't necessarily a "musical" anymore. but it can be done better.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 18:09
  • Post subject:
your mother.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/22/2018 18:28
  • Post subject:
Takeoff's verse on Night Call was so fire it legit made me kill a man.
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 05/22/2018 18:31
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Good thing we survived comic books and violent video games, but cover your ears kids - now Cardi B is on the radio.

lol when you put it like that you make me sound like an old fart..

But man neither of those endorsed heavy drug use the way it does today. I know there's always been some of that in hip-hop but it's become a bit overkill if you ask me, especially in the mainstream.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/22/2018 18:45
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:

But man neither of those endorsed heavy drug use the way it does today. I know there's always been some of that in hip-hop but it's become a bit overkill if you ask me, especially in the mainstream.

The mere fact that you're 22 has no relation to what people choose to listen to in music. (Also I do think you have double standards when it comes to Black/White music, but maybe your taste just has to develop. Even modern Metal bands are starting to incorporate a lot more diverse classical influences that make the music more varied and therefore interesting than in the past (as well as still being well written from a western music standpoint) Lack of creativity was what really drove the prog bands and maybe even Jazz underground, resulting in awful commercial punk type music.)

@Puncture Repair

I'm actually one of those "fake" Migos fans that are ruining their music because Takeoff is my least favorite (His verses are more controversial than creative to me...) But I do nevertheless like him like all the Migos
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/22/2018 19:36
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Lachapelle wrote:

The mere fact that you're 22 has no relation to what people choose to listen to in music. (Also I do think you have double standards when it comes to Black/White music, but maybe your taste just has to develop. Even modern Metal bands are starting to incorporate a lot more diverse classical influences that make the music more varied and therefore interesting than in the past (as well as still being well written from a western music standpoint) Lack of creativity was what really drove the prog bands and maybe even Jazz underground, resulting in awful commercial punk type music.)

@Puncture Repair

I'm actually one of those "fake" Migos fans that are ruining their music because Takeoff is my least favorite (His verses are more controversial than creative to me...) But I do nevertheless like him like all the Migos

Also if my race comments are getting tiring to some of you I apologize. I'm afraid I'm more of a Malcolm X person like Kendrick Lamar than a Booker T. Washington person like most other minority intellectuals I've known. I guess we should all be lucky I don't own a gun and have only done target practice at the range lol.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 05/22/2018 22:04
  • Post subject:
Before my newest favorite singer became a member of the group, I don't see what was so great about the Oak Ridge Boys, I love my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders SO much!!!

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Steve is the one at the top of the photograph.

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/22/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
A while ago I would have said Radiohead but I like them loads now

For me its Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull. Totally overrated.

Many prog bands in general but particularly those three
  • Visit poster's website