Get To Know A Top 10: June 2018 Thread - Jimmy Dread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2018 16:08
  • Post subject: Get To Know A Top 10: June 2018 Thread - Jimmy Dread
By one vote, Jimmy Dread has won the third poll. Here are the ten albums up for discussion during the month of June:

1. Bryter Layter - Nick Drake
2. Stargazer - Shelagh McDonald
3. Teulu Yncl Sam - Sidan
4. The Blue Trees - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
5. Morning Way - Trader Horne
6. Frost And Fire: A Calendar Of Ritual And Magical Songs - The Watersons
7. Just Another Diamond Day - Vashti Bunyan
8. Visions Of The Country - Robbie Basho
9. Songs For The Gentle Man - Bridget St. John
10. Death And The Lady - Michael Raven & Joan Mills

Again, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. And where possible, interact with what other people have been saying for a more interesting discussion.

Last but not least, here are the past threads if you want to go back and listen to / talk about stuff you missed.

April thread (Luigii): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20004
May thread (Tilly): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20126

Last edited by baystateoftheart on 06/01/2019 00:49; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2018 16:18
  • Post subject:
Well, Vashti, Drake, Basho, and Sidan get my backing. Gotta listen to the rest. Death And The Lady's probably first up.

Plenty to dig through Smile

Also rec people go through the 15-35 range on the chart, cause it's necessary.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/31/2018 17:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Death And The Lady's probably first up.

Cheers pal. Would have been equally happy if this were your thread as your chart’s ace.

The Death And The Lady album may not be the easiest to find - I’m assuming you can stream it via Spotify or Apple Music, if not let me know and I’ll hit you up with a copy.

So some background to this chart: my love of ‘folk’ is driven by two major factors. First is my love of the countryside, which thanks to my job has taken me all over the UK and seen me discover many a rural record shop, village pub, stunning scenery, etc. The second was a ‘folkie phase’ which probably started when I split up from my ex, decided to dress like a hippie for a year and culminated with a trip to the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge with some pagans, where within a month of touching one of the stones (I could definitely feel the energy) I met my wife. Suffice it to say that music that conjures up mental images of people, places and tImes (even, as with the Watersons LP, those I’d wish I’d experienced) will always strike a chord with me, and hence whilst hardly a definite ‘best of folk’ list that some might be expecting this is more a window into the mind of a wannabe country bumpkin than an objective list of folk classics.

A word on my no.1: Nick Drake’s music has been a constant in my life since I heard ‘Northern Sky’ on a Melody Maker compilation in the mid-90s. I used to make this little promise to myself that if I ever met a female Nick Drake fan I’d propose to her on the spot - alas this never happened, so instead I used to make girls I fancied mixtapes (remember them?) with Nick’s tracks on. It never quite worked sadly, although in retrospect life turned out pretty peachy in spite of not meeting my dream girl with a long flowing gypsy skirt and flowers in her hair.

Of the albums featured, I’d imagine most have heard both Bryter Layter and Just Another Diamond Day, but I’d love to hear what people think of the rest. There’s a fair mix - from acapella traditional folk (Watersons) to Welsh folk/funk/psych pop (Sidan) to true British folk angels (Trader Horne/Bridget St.John/Shelagh McDonald) to the most moving American Primitivism (Robbie Basho - thanks to Meccalecca for the initial rec).

Folk isn’t for everyone - I get that (as I do with ‘reggae’). But hop in your time machine, flop on a bean bag, stick one of these on and imagine dawn breaking over a Cornish bay or Lake District campsite and step into my mind’s eye for a while. Just don’t forget to tidy up after yourself once you’re done.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2018 19:08
  • Post subject: Re: Get To Know A Top 10: June Thread - Jimmy Dread
Already had:

Bryter Layter - Nick Drake
Just Another Diamond Day - Vashti Bunyan

Found on Apple Music:

Stargazer - Shelagh McDonald
The Blue Trees - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Morning Way - Trader Horne
Songs For The Gentle Man - Bridget St. John
Death And The Lady - Michael Raven & Joan Mills

Found a download:

Visions Of The Country - Robbie Basho

Found on YouTube:

Frost And Fire: A Calendar Of Ritual And Magical Songs - The Watersons

Can't find anywhere:

Teulu Yncl Sam - Sidan

Can anyone provide assistance on the Sidan album? Or should it be replaced with #11 on the chart instead?
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/31/2018 19:40
baystateoftheart wrote:
Can't find anywhere:

Teulu Yncl Sam - Sidan

Can anyone provide assistance on the Sidan album? Or should it be replaced with #11 on the chart instead?

Hopefully available outside the UK (I think I might have given Hayden and some Aussie chap this link already), but it’s part of the Sain y 70au compilation on Spotify - track 25 onwards (LP plays sequentially). If not available in the US let me know and I’ll sort out a link.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2018 19:43
Jimmy Dread wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Can't find anywhere:

Teulu Yncl Sam - Sidan

Hopefully available outside the UK (I think I might have given Hayden and some Aussie chap this link already), but it’s part of the Sain y 70au compilation on Spotify - track 25 onwards (LP plays sequentially). If not available in the US let me know and I’ll sort out a link.

Great thanks! That comp is also on Apple Music and is available in the US.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2018 04:30
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Cheers pal. Would have been equally happy if this were your thread as your chart’s ace.

The Death And The Lady album may not be the easiest to find - I’m assuming you can stream it via Spotify or Apple Music, if not let me know and I’ll hit you up with a copy.

So some background to this chart: my love of ‘folk’ is driven by two major factors. First is my love of the countryside, which thanks to my job has taken me all over the UK and seen me discover many a rural record shop, village pub, stunning scenery, etc. The second was a ‘folkie phase’ which probably started when I split up from my ex, decided to dress like a hippie for a year and culminated with a trip to the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge with some pagans, where within a month of touching one of the stones (I could definitely feel the energy) I met my wife. Suffice it to say that music that conjures up mental images of people, places and tImes (even, as with the Watersons LP, those I’d wish I’d experienced) will always strike a chord with me, and hence whilst hardly a definite ‘best of folk’ list that some might be expecting this is more a window into the mind of a wannabe country bumpkin than an objective list of folk classics.

A word on my no.1: Nick Drake’s music has been a constant in my life since I heard ‘Northern Sky’ on a Melody Maker compilation in the mid-90s. I used to make this little promise to myself that if I ever met a female Nick Drake fan I’d propose to her on the spot - alas this never happened, so instead I used to make girls I fancied mixtapes (remember them?) with Nick’s tracks on. It never quite worked sadly, although in retrospect life turned out pretty peachy in spite of not meeting my dream girl with a long flowing gypsy skirt and flowers in her hair.

Of the albums featured, I’d imagine most have heard both Bryter Layter and Just Another Diamond Day, but I’d love to hear what people think of the rest. There’s a fair mix - from acapella traditional folk (Watersons) to Welsh folk/funk/psych pop (Sidan) to true British folk angels (Trader Horne/Bridget St.John/Shelagh McDonald) to the most moving American Primitivism (Robbie Basho - thanks to Meccalecca for the initial rec).

Folk isn’t for everyone - I get that (as I do with ‘reggae’). But hop in your time machine, flop on a bean bag, stick one of these on and imagine dawn breaking over a Cornish bay or Lake District campsite and step into my mind’s eye for a while. Just don’t forget to tidy up after yourself once you’re done.

Thanks for this write up - it helps "set the mood" diving into it. Seriously. Just imagining all that made it a submersible journey instead of a "clinical study" of folk (which is ridiculous, but I was made in a factory).

Also the mix tape made me chuckle a bit (likely cause I did the same thing but with other music).
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/05/2018 11:27
  • Post subject:
Hope those who've decided to have a listen to these selections are getting something out of them.

Anyway, I did a little write-up in my diary of the 10th album on the list - a relatively recent discovery - which might shed some light as to why some of this music tends to have the effect on me it does. In case you're interested, like...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2018 12:59
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Hayden wrote:

A lesson for all of us right there!!! Thanks, Jim!

Love reading your autobiography. Just put on that Sidan album an hour ago and it won't be going out of the rotation for some time. great stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/05/2018 16:27
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Love reading your autobiography. Just put on that Sidan album an hour ago and it won't be going out of the rotation for some time. great stuff.

Glad to hear it, my friend. It's a lovely album, and one which resonates a lot more if you play it whilst driving through the North Wales countryside.

It's amazing how much some of these records fetch, coincidentally. Folk's a very collectible commodity among us record heads considering there's a lot of 70s albums that were released in small quantities and haven't been repressed since.Stargazer on its own goes for ridiculous money. Thankfully I've got the lot - and bloody gorgeous they all are too...

• Visit poster's website