47%  [10]
Classic
52%
 52%  [11]
Total Votes : 21

jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2018 23:59
  • Post subject: Electric or Classic Miles Davis?
Which period of Miles Davis is better? His classic period, or his electric period?

I've always leaned more towards his electric stuff, but I want to know what other people think.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 06/03/2018 00:53
  • Post subject:
Probably depends which perspective you take. 3 of my top 10 Miles Albums (Jack Johnson, On The Corner, Bitches Brew) and considering you're basically looking at 1970 - 1975 in his career you can argue that period punchs above it's weight . Having said that check 1957 - 1959 it includes Round About Midnight, Cookin with the MDQ, Relaxin with the MDQ, Miles Ahead, Milestone, Kind of Blue, L'Ascenseur, Porgy and Bess etc. Little doubt in my mind which was his most fruitful period.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 02:56
  • Post subject:
I kinda feel like the jazz purist would go early and the hey that's cool music types, but not necessarily jazz enthusiasts, go electric period. But that's just a wild guess.

As a Jazz beginner I'm stuck between both - I feel Kind of Blue is the jazz in a box album (all things beginner jazz), whereas In A Silent Way musically speaks to me more. It's got this beautiful ambient thing that I barely would consider Jazz.

On the Corner is like soul/funk meets jazz... idk - Bitches Brew is clearly more jazz than "rock", so I won't say that his later stuff is less than 50% "traditional jazz", whatever that means.

Anyway, I'll stop my incoherent ramblins.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/03/2018 04:48
  • Post subject:
electric
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 06:23
  • Post subject:
DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!

Gun to my head, I'd pick Electric, but that's because it has a slight sentimental edge on Acoustic for me. I got into fusion from rock and mainstream jazz from fusion, so Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Live-Evil (even better, the Cellar Door Sessions box set) and Jack Johnson were in regular rotation during my late teens, a very formative age for me (my mind made more formable by mind-altering drugs). I love them all.

But I also love Miles Smiles, E.S.P., Kind of Blue, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Sketches of Spain.

Abstain Not talking

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 06/05/2018 05:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 06:57
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I kinda feel like the jazz purist would go early and the hey that's cool music types, but not necessarily jazz enthusiasts, go electric period.

There are jazz purists who don't like the electric period, though their numbers are dwindling, but there are plenty of serious jazz fans who embrace both. Electric Miles does have an appeal beyond jazz fans; then again Kind of Blue is unique in being the one jazz album many non-jazzers like.

Quote:
In A Silent Way musically speaks to me more. It's got this beautiful ambient thing that I barely would consider Jazz.

"Ambient" isn't a bad word for it. Very much an atmospheric piece that eventually builds to something more assertive on the second side. Unique electric jazz album.

Quote:
Bitches Brew is clearly more jazz than "rock"

Agreed. George Grella argues, in his 33 1/3 book on Bitches Brew, that the album actually doesn't have rock elements. As a musician, he analyses the components and points out that the drums' rhythms come from funk and even parade music, but not rock. McLaughlin's guitar, while a little more distorted than the average traditional jazz guitarist, is still more jazz. His playing is experimental as much as anything else.

On the Corner is an interesting beast. It's a paradox, because on the surface it appears to be a commercial heavy jazz-funk album -- though there's something unsettling about it, it defies you to have too much fun -- but it's simultaneously quite radical and experimental for its time. It was influenced by Karlheinz Stockhausen, Ornette Coleman and Indian music. There's sitar and tabla on the album. The lead instruments, including McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock and Dave Liebman, were buried in the mix and drift in and out, going against the hierarchical structure of most jazz. And Teo Macero did the same type of tape editing he'd been doing on Miles' albums since In a Silent Way, sometimes repeating sections.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2018 01:36
  • Post subject:
Pretty much - well said.
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 06/04/2018 17:46
  • Post subject:
Kind of Blue is interesting largely for its formal innovations but nothing compares to Bitches Brew. It's sitting in my top 5 so I would say that, but even compared to In a Silent Way the difference is night and day. I like IaSW but it seems tentative and transitional when considered alongside the follow-up along similar formal lines.

As said above, I never really bought the rock part of jazz-rock. Unless critics who label it as such are hearing very different rock music from me. Davis has claimed to be inspired by Hendrix but that doesn't mean it necessarily emerges in the composition in any identifiable way. I'd wager that rock was influenced by Davis far more so than the reverse.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 06/04/2018 23:39
  • Post subject:
I definitely prefer Miles up to the late 60’s. I’m not a purist. I probably prefer Weather Report in the early 70’s over Miles at that time. Wayne Shorter is the connection between the two. In the 70’s I lean more toward the atmospheric and avant-garde of the ECM label jazz, over the funky electric jazz of Miles, Herbie Hancock etc. I also like the spiritual jazz of Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane of the late 60’s and early 70’s. For me, Miles holds less interest once I get to the 70’s.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2018 16:23
  • Post subject:
For me, definitely electric.

I've always found his classic stuff rather uninspiring relative to the other greats of the time. Give me Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Wes Montgomery, or John Coltrane any time. Don't get me wrong, he put out a lot of great music back then, I just think a little less of it than many of his contemporaries.

But when he got around to the likes of In a Silent Way or On the Corner, he was not only changing the shape of jazz, but changing it in a way that was genuinely exciting and truly shone against the backdrop of everything else that was going on in jazz, and even music in general at the time.
  • Visit poster's website