Religious music and country music is the worst

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benfitzuk

• Posted: 06/03/2018 17:09
  • Post subject: Religious music and country music is the worst
I cannot cannot cannot stand religious music at all. i just hate it so so much. i mean it is a little biased coming from a strong atheists point of view but seriously. someone back me up here. I can't stand all that 'I love Jesus' shit and I seriously think it just needs to get shut down really. Spiritual music is fine, because it's different, and we let George Harrison off as a spiritual musician, but people like TobyMac and Mercy me are just plain bad.
Also whilst I'm here, Country music is very very very close to being as bad as religious music. Bland overused vibe and no talented singers and it seriously shocks me how big some of them are. Again johnny cash gets let off becasuse he's original.
But yeah there's my little rant
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 17:16
  • Post subject:
People giving blanket dismissals of large genres of music is the worst.

I'm not a big fan of most CCM, but gospel music can be good. And that's just within the realm of Christian music, because lots of different religions have religious music, leading to great musical diversity within religious music. Which leads me to argue that as a representation of unifying musical characteristics, religious music is about as useful a term as world music - not very.

As for country, I feel most dismissals of country have to do with reducing the music to what's currently on country radio, which is not representative of the diversity and quality within the genre. There are tons of good country artists past and present.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 17:19
  • Post subject:
music's capacity to do things you dislike is so much greater and you are not giving enough credit to all of the incredible horrible possibilities there are.

and while people are capable of doing bad things with religion, just like they are with anything, there's no reason to be this upset about anyone loving Jesus, unless you're some lame edgelord. you should take this fight elsewhere.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/03/2018 17:32
  • Post subject:
Try Verdi's Requiem.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 17:53
  • Post subject:
What's this trash? Get that bias outta here mate, and listen to this.

Newport 1958 by Mahalia Jackson

At least the shitpost i just made was based on a real experience I observed.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 18:37
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Try Verdi's Requiem.

And Mozart's.

And I'll have to agree with Tap and baystate on this.

But I think I can understand where you are coming from. As a fellow athiest and former Christian I have two responses to how you could have said this more respectfully.

1) the music you likely are referring to is insincere (atheist)
2) Jesus himself likely would be building his own whip as he did at the temple on 80% of this stuff (Christian)

But saying any and all sincere efforts of religious/spiritual music is shit, well that is equally a shitty thing to say.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 19:21
  • Post subject:
I think you should distinguish between the actual music in religious music from the lyrical content of it. The lyrical content means nothing to me either, but I can think of plenty religious songs with really good music or melodies or even singing to go along with it.
As far as country music, there's plenty that I thought was really wonderful over the years, but not so much nowadays. Although I must admit I don't look very hard to find the good stuff. There's probably no higher a percentage of bad stuff in country than in other styles of music. We just tend to find more good stuff in the styles of music that we prefer. If you like rock, then you're going to find more good stuff in Rock than in styles that you don't prefer. That's because you look for it harder.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 19:36
  • Post subject: Re: Religious music and country music is the worst
benfitzuk wrote:
I cannot cannot cannot stand religious music at all. i just hate it so so much. i mean it is a little biased coming from a strong atheists point of view but seriously. someone back me up here. I can't stand all that 'I love Jesus' shit and I seriously think it just needs to get shut down really. Spiritual music is fine, because it's different, and we let George Harrison off as a spiritual musician, but people like TobyMac and Mercy me are just plain bad.
Also whilst I'm here, Country music is very very very close to being as bad as religious music. Bland overused vibe and no talented singers and it seriously shocks me how big some of them are. Again johnny cash gets let off becasuse he's original.
But yeah there's my little rant

I am not a religious man by any means. But gospel music is awesome. And there is Christian rock that, if you took the time to listen instead of simply throwing a giant tarp over a universe of music you have not even heard and showing how seriously closed minded you are, you just might find enjoyable. There is music out there by people singing praises to gods and religions that I have never even heard of or have zero interest in. And a lot of that music is amazing and beautiful.

As for country music...your statement is simply ridiculous. I hope that if you pick up nothing else from being here at BEA, you will learn to open your mind to every bit of music in the world. Every bit of it. Because there is something to like in every type of music. I happen to be a very big fan of a lot of country music. There are parts of it that I do not particularly care for...but if I let that close the door for all country music in my life, then I would be missing out on some of my absolute favorite songs and artists and albums. I could let your statement piss me off. I'm just going to feel a little bad for you instead, and hope you shake off that huge blanket you are hiding behind and learn to really listen.

THEN you will be able to really enjoy music.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
benfitzuk

• Posted: 06/03/2018 20:08
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Because there is something to like in every type of music.

What about nazi music?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2018 20:17
  • Post subject:
benfitzuk wrote:
Quote:
Because there is something to like in every type of music.

What about nazi music?

Unfortunately, yeah. Not only music but there were plenty of talented artists who worked under the Nazis. This is not surprising actually because their underlying talents were unrelated to Nazism. They would have been talented no matter where they were. Of course it's disgusting that they put their talents to use that way. But there were great musicians and artists and movie directors at that time. We don't think very highly of these people, but they were there.
  • Visit poster's website