I guess there's no accounting for taste...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 06/13/2018 06:54
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
You could actually single-handedly blame me.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2018 08:36
  • Post subject: Re: I guess there's no accounting for taste...
YoungPunk wrote:
Why are all the 70s artists on the current Billboard charts boring Vanilla rock artists like AC/DC, Stones, and the Eagles when there's so much exciting progressive rock from that decade to stream. Tull, Floyd, Santana, Rush Genesis, ELO, Styx, Supertramp, Foreigner, Kansas, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson (How do I listen to this one, seems they hate the internet Sad )

Those current charts reflect to some extent the how much the artists' songs were played on the radio back in the 70s. On rock radio, at least in the late 70s, the only Floyd song I heard prior to The Wall was "Money." No King Crimson, no Genesis (pre-1981). The only ELP songs were "Lucky Man" and occasionally "Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt.2.)" The only Yes was "Roundabout" and less often, "I've Seen All Good People" (not counting "Owner of a Lonely Heart" Tull had three songs that got a fair amount of play. Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" was a big hit and "Point of No Return" did well too.

I wouldn't lump ELO, Supertramp, Foreigner and Styx with those other bands. I like ELO a lot, but at their popular peak were more influenced by the Beatles than Crimson. Supertramp's Breakfast in America was a big hit, but nothing else. Styx is watered-down prog and sucks except for "Renegade." Foreigner ain't prog.

LOL at you ranking Styx and Foreigner over The Stones and AC/DC.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2018 12:23
a
YoungPunk wrote:
Why are all the 70s artists on the current Billboard charts boring Vanilla rock artists like AC/DC, Stones, and the Eagles when there's so much exciting progressive rock from that decade to stream. Tull, Floyd, Santana, Rush Genesis, ELO, Styx, Supertramp, Foreigner, Kansas , Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson (How do I listen to this one, seems they hate the internet Sad ), I'm still acclimating to Yes but I'm sure I'll understand them someday. Why aren't some of these guys on billboard instead of Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Stones. Explanations?

The Billboard charts are determined by the people. They don't have a staff that decides which albums are deserving and which are not. The Billboard charts are determined by sales and radio play, including streaming and downloads. That's it. Of course, sales are determined in large part by which bands and albums the record companies choose to promote. Which is why Billboard is nothing more than a tool to see what sells the most, and really not much more. Want to see what the masses like? Go look at a Billboard chart. Has nothing to do with which albums are better.

And if "boring vanilla artists" is how you want to categorize an entire decade of music that a whole lot of people happen to find enjoyable, and that an entire generation grew up with and has real connections with, and that in one way or another influences pretty much everything you do happen to like, then the level of respect your musical opinions are going to have in this world are going to be pretty much diminished to not much. How valid is what you have to say about music when you blindly turn away from an entire decade of music that a lot of people love and simply dismiss it as "boring vanilla"?

Like what you like...but at least have some respect for the stuff you do not understand instead of insulting everyone else with a blind blanket dismissal. Open your mind...or your window of music you are able to really enjoy is going to be very, very small.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2018 00:30
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
hm they must have been listening to an early demo or something because the song goes

"you can always get what you want
you can always get what you want
you don't gotta try
you'll just find
that you get it"

and so it makes sense why someone would listen to that and then whine about why the specific 40 year old albums they like aren't in the current billboard top 200

Not sure if serious...

https://genius.com/The-rolling-stones-y...ant-lyrics
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2018 00:30
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:

This is single handedly the best response ever on BEA.

I love that movie.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/14/2018 00:34
PurpleHazel wrote:
Those current charts reflect to some extent the how much the artists' songs were played on the radio back in the 70s. On rock radio, at least in the late 70s, the only Floyd song I heard prior to The Wall was "Money." No King Crimson, no Genesis (pre-1981). The only ELP songs were "Lucky Man" and occasionally "Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Pt.2.)" The only Yes was "Roundabout" and less often, "I've Seen All Good People" (not counting "Owner of a Lonely Heart" Tull had three songs that got a fair amount of play. Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" was a big hit and "Point of No Return" did well too.

I wouldn't lump ELO, Supertramp, Foreigner and Styx with those other bands. I like ELO a lot, but at their popular peak were more influenced by the Beatles than Crimson. Supertramp's Breakfast in America was a big hit, but nothing else. Styx is watered-down prog and sucks except for "Renegade." Foreigner ain't prog.

LOL at you ranking Styx and Foreigner over The Stones and AC/DC.

I love Styx and Foreigner javascript:emoticon('Evil or Very Mad') (why is there no crying emoticon, too manly here?) So thanks. I guess they'll only be listening to radio hit albums on the billboard 200 40 years from now... This actually explained a lot. Thanks...
  • Visit poster's website