Songs that go Dummm Dum Dummmm

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 06/15/2018 06:14
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Its just four descending quarter notes he thought of it himself LOL, and its not even the same phrase! My guess is the white band was copying swing Jazz music like Purple Hazel mentioned. If it makes you feel any better the swing Jazz likely borrowed to some extent from classical music who are white lol, but these 60s white bands seem to rip off of black music with impunity and no backlash, like Elvis, I love Elvis but he really got a lot of his music from the black music scene and was a hit like they couldn't be. That's why I like working with Female and Minority musicians... Rolling Eyes

"Just four descending quarter notes" but that have a thread of their own forty years later ! Lol yourself, my friend !

From your first reply, I sensed that it was too much to swallow that the great Issac Hayes (and I really think he's a great artist) borrowed from an obscure white band. But I didn't want to mention that, because skin color is not my main focus in life. Is it so important for you ?
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/16/2018 02:25
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
"Just four descending quarter notes" but that have a thread of their own forty years later ! Lol yourself, my friend !

From your first reply, I sensed that it was too much to swallow that the great Issac Hayes (and I really think he's a great artist) borrowed from an obscure white band. But I didn't want to mention that, because skin color is not my main focus in life. Is it so important for you ?

It is just four descending quarter notes. In your twisted world I would not be able to write a note without paying some shitty 60s white band who did nothing original. How old are you. If you're over 25 I'm surprised. Grow up.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 06/16/2018 06:33
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Yann wrote:

It is just four descending quarter notes. In your twisted world I would not be able to write a note without paying some shitty 60s white band who did nothing original. How old are you. If you're over 25 I'm surprised. Grow up.

Strange that you can't hear that those notes are extremely distinctive in both songs (and we could talk of the strings). Again, great artist sometimes steal from obscure bands, no big deal, but worth noticing (at least in this thread which is specifically about these old 4 notes).
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/16/2018 16:52
  • Post subject:
Can't hear it and I'm an expert. Also four descending quarter notes is an extremely basic construct people generally think of on their own. Also, I'm guessing you're parents told you skin color doesn't matter?
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 06/17/2018 13:39
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Can't hear it and I'm an expert. Also four descending quarter notes is an extremely basic construct people generally think of on their own. Also, I'm guessing you're parents told you skin color doesn't matter?

When I listen to a band I don't care if the singer is black or gay. Unless his lyrics are about than topic, then I find important to see from which point of view he/she is singing them. No race owns no music, and as Yann said before, it's usual for mainstream music to be based on previous underground music. Also, I don't like the "I'm an expert" argument, as if we have to bow on what you say just because you say you know about the topic and you can't be wrong. Especially when we're talking about something like race and music. The age of who writes is not an important argument either. Nor is his race.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/17/2018 19:04
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
When I listen to a band I don't care if the singer is black or gay. Unless his lyrics are about than topic, then I find important to see from which point of view he/she is singing them. No race owns no music, and as Yann said before, it's usual for mainstream music to be based on previous underground music. Also, I don't like the "I'm an expert" argument, as if we have to bow on what you say just because you say you know about the topic and you can't be wrong. Especially when we're talking about something like race and music. The age of who writes is not an important argument either. Nor is his race.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I very much care if an artist is from an oppressed and unfairly underrepresented group and I am very concerned when these groups are abused in the workplace like Chuck Berry and Little Richard were, but I guess this is probably a point you won't be moved on Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 06/18/2018 07:45
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:

You may have suffered personally from racism, but in that case I don’t think resentment will ever help you to move forward. Or you feel guilty towards people having suffered from racism, and you really should let go of that too, as you maintain them in the state of victim (and it makes you angry).
To me, unless you're faced with concrete cases and then may take action, anti-racism is patronising.

Back to the music, Daydream is not so obscure, in fact, and certainly not “shitty”. It was a hit in Europe in 1969, it’s been sampled many times (for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQjYPWDcmg, and other covers listed in the wikipedia page of the song)
Now I agree with you that one can hear these descending notes in a few other songs, for instance Babe I’m Gonna Leave You or While My Guitar Gently Weeps, both songs recorded in 1968, but I think the difference is how the bass line is showcased (notably by the strings) in the songs presented here.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/18/2018 21:16
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
You may have suffered personally from racism, but in that case I don’t think resentment will ever help you to move forward. Or you feel guilty towards people having suffered from racism, and you really should let go of that too, as you maintain them in the state of victim (and it makes you angry).
To me, unless you're faced with concrete cases and then may take action, anti-racism is patronising.

Back to the music, Daydream is not so obscure, in fact, and certainly not “shitty”. It was a hit in Europe in 1969, it’s been sampled many times (for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQjYPWDcmg, and other covers listed in the wikipedia page of the song)
Now I agree with you that one can hear these descending notes in a few other songs, for instance Babe I’m Gonna Leave You or While My Guitar Gently Weeps, both songs recorded in 1968, but I think the difference is how the bass line is showcased (notably by the strings) in the songs presented here.

If you're talking about me I have moved forward thank you very much. I'm doing quite well partly thanks to my success. As for letting go I will never let go. Why should I? It serves no benefit to me and will only lead me into traps. Also bringing up personal suffering is rude.
Also Isaac Hayes likely has similar resentment as me and would never copy a white band and probably hasn't listened to many, especially in the non streaming era.
Also anti-racism is not rude it is important.
  • Visit poster's website