View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2018 13:00
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
You're a dangerous man Tilly.

for going to Chicago? Or a Mexican restaurant?

Chicago's mostly safe especially where I used to live - Ukrainian Village - and this place couldn't have been more kid friendly. Truly great experience for my kids.

Thanks for the synopsis, Hayden & AP!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/21/2018 14:24
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Or a Mexican restaurant?

I was just joking that Mexico didn't particularly have the odds in their favour Laughing Not terribly literal. Cool that they did that for your kids. It's great when something like this brings strangers together.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/22/2018 17:15
  • Post subject:
The 2nd half of the Nigerian/Iceland game was so much fun. I'm now a Nigeria fan.

...and Neymar should be ashamed of himself. He flops more than any other top player. You don't see Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Modric, Lewandowski, etc... doing that as much as him. Rolling Eyes
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2018 12:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Or a Mexican restaurant?

I was just joking that Mexico didn't particularly have the odds in their favour Laughing Not terribly literal. Cool that they did that for your kids. It's great when something like this brings strangers together.

Got ya. We actually went to route for Germany - my girlfriend's thinks she's German when really she's just american like me lol - but the crowd quickly swayed my two kids.

Went to a Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday for the game in the suburbs and the just not the same thing even though it was a good game.

What happens now? Does Mexico advance? Will definitely go back to the first place if I have my kids to watch the next game.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/25/2018 02:41
  • Post subject:
It's really rare as an England fan to see them dominate a game in the World Cup, even if it's against Panama (though as a Canadian soccer fan, I'm happy to see Panama lose. Long story.)

It's a sad testament to life as a an England fan that I'm still cynical, still hedging my bets. I think I'd be more convinced (but still not fully) if they beat Belgium.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2018 15:56
  • Post subject:
What was that holy twist
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2018 03:14
  • Post subject:
So here's one to ponder:

Group G matchup between Belgium and England. The winner of the match finishes first in Group G. As an England fan, this is what I noticed:

If England wins, they must play the 2nd place team in Group H. That puts them on the same side of the bracket as Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, France, Uruguay & Mexico. Quite the murderers row (even if some are under-performing).

If they lose, they must play the 1st place team in Group H. That puts them on the same side of the bracket as Spain, Russia, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark & Sweden. Much less daunting.

Personally, I want England to always play to win and maintain good form & momentum. However, I can see how strategically it would be an advantage to play on the easier side of the bracket. What have the pundits been saying in England or Belgium?

Thoughts?
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2018 04:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Or a Mexican restaurant?

It was an upset for sure (I think that's the sportsing term?)
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/28/2018 23:55
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
So here's one to ponder:

Group G matchup between Belgium and England. The winner of the match finishes first in Group G. As an England fan, this is what I noticed:

If England wins, they must play the 2nd place team in Group H. That puts them on the same side of the bracket as Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, France, Uruguay & Mexico. Quite the murderers row (even if some are under-performing).

If they lose, they must play the 1st place team in Group H. That puts them on the same side of the bracket as Spain, Russia, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark & Sweden. Much less daunting.

Personally, I want England to always play to win and maintain good form & momentum. However, I can see how strategically it would be an advantage to play on the easier side of the bracket. What have the pundits been saying in England or Belgium?

Thoughts?

I don't think these things ever work (unless we're talking completely dominant teams, like US basketball team at Olympics). England can realistically crash out to Columbia in the next round, and I don't think the gap between, say, Sweden and Brazil is that big. Elimination games are an entirely different kind of beast.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2018 05:04
  • Post subject:
Sweden has never beat Brazil. They never got closer than 2-5 in the 1958 World Cup title bout. Regardless, I invite all of you to root for Sweden against Switzerland on Tuesday. It is the fight you all secretly love.

And ultimately...the world cup has millions of people living and dying for something that has no relevance whatsoever. The glory of it all.
  • Visit poster's website