Hello, My Musical Journey, and Questions!

View previous topic :: View next topic
thisishaam

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2018 20:44
  • Post subject: Hello, My Musical Journey, and Questions!
Hey everyone! I've been lurking around this site since the summer 2016 when my roommates and I decided we wanted to work our way from 1950 to the present and pick a few select albums from each year to listen to.

A little bit about myself and music:

I'm a 23 year old living out in Colorado. Been out here for 6 years now, originally from the east coast. Growing up my parents rarely played any music in the house, the most musical thing that would happen would be my dad whistling some old country western music. I had an older sister who was listening to a lot of pop, hip-hop (Eminem, Jay-z, Kanye), and the occasional pop punk. Whatever was on the charts really. Once she left the house I kind of focused into the whole hip-hop world. Eminem and Immortal Technique were my go-to's.

I find Spotify my final year of high school and I begin to branch out a bit with the new found freedom, indie, folk, electronic music. Next thing I know I'm getting shipped off to college where a few pretty important things happen when it comes to my eventual infatuation with music.

First, I go to my first concert ever at 18, and holy shit that was absolutely life changing. Live music is a completely different monster.

Second, I was introduced to weed, being in Colorado it was just a matter of time until I gave in a tried some.

Third, one of my lady friends convinced me to go to a Bonnaroo (2013). I even tore my ACL two weeks before the fest and was very close to calling it off, but she was persistent and didn't let me say no. I'm forever grateful for that.

Fourth, I met one of closest friends to this day and future roommate. He grew up in the exact opposite way as I did. Music was literally always playing, his parents would bring him to concerts, they'd watch concerts on TV. He opened the door for me into non-chart-topping music, weird music, beautifully soft music, intensely energetic music, and older music.

These things all came together in the span of 6 months and it just propelled me the music obsessed person I am now.

To do a quick jump to present day. I'm a web developer, and someone who loves a good set of data.

I've challenged myself to listen to 1000 albums this year (June 2018 - May 2019). Obviously, I'm keeping track of a bunch of random data about each of them. I'm going to create a little site where I can filter through them in any way I please, It'll give me statistics about whatever subsection of albums have been filtered, there will be graphs plotting album length vs. rating, or day of the week I listened to it vs. rating. A bunch of really dumb graphs to find really dumb trends, It'll be fun!

The first 100 albums I listened to were mostly 2018 albums.
For second 100 albums I'm using random year generator to get a random year and then listening to 3 albums from that year. (using this site of course) But I'd like to get some suggestions from you guys instead of a generator.

My question:

Which section would be best to ask for a random year and 3 album suggestions? My guess is Music Diaries section?
Because of the way I was brought up I'm not very knowledgable about older music.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2018 22:03
  • Post subject:
Now, that's interesting! Since you can't make a chart yet, could you give me an idea of what you like to listen to? A top 10 or something? I'd be happy to try and give some recommendations.

The random 3 albums thing could work as a diary I think. You'd be reviewing whatever albums were randomly generated that week or whatever.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2018 22:33
  • Post subject:
For suggestions, I'd say go to the forums section and create a post for more older music depending on year as well as genre. But for more of a viewpoint of music you like, I would say make a diary post.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/19/2018 22:54
  • Post subject:
Welcome to the site my friend, I feel a diary might be apt, allowing you to relay your thoughts on the albums you've listened to, which in turn can lead to other members reccing albums based on those you've enjoyed the most. Probably something along that line is a good way to start!

• Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2018 23:02
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Welcome to the site my friend, I feel a diary might be apt, allowing you to relay your thoughts on the albums you've listened to, which in turn can lead to other members reccing albums based on those you've enjoyed the most. Probably something along that line is a good way to start!

Second this thought 100%
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/20/2018 08:54
  • Post subject: Re: Hello, My Musical Journey, and Questions!
Quote:
Which section would be best to ask for a random year and 3 album suggestions? My guess is Music Diaries section?

There's also a random album feature on BEA which will display a random album from the top 1,000 (the top n is configurable from your profile page). Unless you are in a hurry, I'd set a longer time period to do this. 1,000 albums in a year is quite a big ask (over 3 a day without taking into account re-listens & many albums need to be heard a few times to really appreciate them).

(If you want a random year, you could use a tool to do this ( e.g. https://www.random.org/integers/?num=10...amp;rnd=ne w ) unless you are particularly interested in a certain time period)
  • Visit poster's website
thisishaam

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2018 14:44
  • Post subject:
Thank you for the replies, I think I'll start up a Music Diary post in the coming days.

Quote:

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd set a longer time period to do this. 1,000 albums in a year is quite a big ask (over 3 a day without taking into account re-listens & many albums need to be heard a few times to really appreciate them).

Hitting 1000 isn't too important to me I just want to listen to enough so that this site I eventually build out will have sufficient data to do cool (dumb) things with. At work, if I'm busy, its pretty easy to just put on headphones and crank out 4-5 albums in a day.

I totally agree that I should re-listen to some of these albums and thats where this experiment kind of falls short. I have been re-listening to my favorites/any standouts so far. But, for example, The Wall probably deserves a few more play throughs to fully appreciate it but since its 80 minutes long I moved on to the next. For now I think I'm okay with that sacrifice, I'll have plenty of time in the future to revisit.

random . com is what I've been using, neat little website.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2018 18:34
  • Post subject:
oh hey welcome! your project sounds cool, I've been keeping a spreadsheet of every time I listen to an album (including relistens) for a while https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...8mg/edit?u sp=sharing it's a bit messy in there but if you look in the 2018 log and scroll over to the right and down a little bit you can see some of the stats and graphs I've been looking at. I think it's a fun way to get a closer look at what you're doing. looking forward to seeing what you put up

also I would say it's ok if you don't end up really appreciating everything you hear. I'm going at a slower intake rate than what you're shooting for, but I still have only listened once to 133 out of the 266 things I've heard for the first time this year. And some of those I'm just taking a long road with, but some of them I'll never appreciate as an individual thing. But I think it's fine to have that pile of unappreciated albums at the bottom so long as you have some stuff rising above that pile.
  • Visit poster's website