Why do you like Souvlaki better?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why won't cheeto face die in a fire?
Souvlaki by Slowdive
73%
 73%  [14]
Slowdive by Slowdive
26%
 26%  [5]
Total Votes : 19

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2018 17:26
  • Post subject: Why do you like Souvlaki better?
Which is better and why? I can't get into the former but love the latter...yet the former seemed to have been a classic for some ya'lls.

Souvlaki by Slowdive

Slowdive by Slowdive

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/22/2018 21:53; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2018 17:56
  • Post subject:
Anyone have any insight on why they like one over the other more?

For me, I was able to connect with the songwriting and musical landscapes way better with the self titled album.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/22/2018 20:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

For me, I was able to connect with the songwriting and musical landscapes way better with the self titled album.

Slowdive has beautiful musical landscapes indeed, but the songwriting..
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2018 21:51
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Do you feel it's not great compared to other artists or other Slowdive albums like Souvaki?

What I meant wasn't that I think Slowdive are fantastic songwriters (I don't think I could really say that, not that they are bad, but definitely not top 20 songwriters of all time or whatever), rather that the songwriting seemed much better on their self titled album than Souvaki. Of course there's a bunch of people who disagree with me, but I'd love some context to an album I've yet to understand. Yes Souvaki is a classic shoegaze album... but is it any good and, if so, what attracts you to it?
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 02:28
  • Post subject:
for me, i got into slowdive quite a few years back and had exhausted their discography long before the self-titled album came out. i was pleased enough with it in that it's definitely a good record. but i also felt it was rather superfluous, which is unfair to say. to be honest, i've only listened to it half a dozen times. i've listened to each of souvlaki, pygmalion, and just for a day at least 50 times a piece. but i guess the self-titled lp came out after my shoegazing phase of life.

souvlaki is a really great breakup album though and has way more depth lyrically than any other shoegazing album i'm aware of. it came right on the heels of a breakup inside the band between halstead and goswell, and the songs are all tinged with that heartbreak. it's interesting how well the two play together musically considering their apparent lack of chemistry relationally. i mean, they're singing these tracks together and everything.... just kind of wild and beautiful in its own right. i've never experienced a breakup like that.

i don't really know the background to the self-titled record, but it can't possibly eclipse the magic of Souvlaki. it can't.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 03:34
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
for me, i got into slowdive quite a few years back and had exhausted their discography long before the self-titled album came out. i was pleased enough with it in that it's definitely a good record. but i also felt it was rather superfluous, which is unfair to say. to be honest, i've only listened to it half a dozen times. i've listened to each of souvlaki, pygmalion, and just for a day at least 50 times a piece. but i guess the self-titled lp came out after my shoegazing phase of life.

souvlaki is a really great breakup album though and has way more depth lyrically than any other shoegazing album i'm aware of. it came right on the heels of a breakup inside the band between halstead and goswell, and the songs are all tinged with that heartbreak. it's interesting how well the two play together musically considering their apparent lack of chemistry relationally. i mean, they're singing these tracks together and everything.... just kind of wild and beautiful in its own right. i've never experienced a breakup like that.

i don't really know the background to the self-titled record, but it can't possibly eclipse the magic of Souvlaki. it can't.

Thanks mate. That's great insight I haven't taken the time to find out and will probably help me see that album in a different light.

I can only speak from my experience and say that their self titled album immediately clicked for me and Souvlaki didn't. Sometimes growers are the best though. After about 10 listens I consider their self-titled album a top album of 2017 and really glad I got into it, whereas Souvlaki I listened to about 3 times and had no interest to listen to it again. Idk... sometimes stuff grows on you/you aren't in the right mood to listen to a certain type of music, etc. and sometimes it just isn't your thing. I haven't dismissed Souvlaki completely, but looking for reasons to listen to it again considering my experience with their self titled album. Thanks again for the insight!

Anyone else care to explain why they love it/find interesting value in it (other than it's good shoegaze).
  • Visit poster's website
syptixed

• Posted: 07/23/2018 15:06
  • Post subject:
the one with in mind is the best

just joking but that track is 1337
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 07/23/2018 16:09
  • Post subject:
I mean I love it.

It just makes me feel good with myself

Shoegaze and dream pop in general do that. Jah bless
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/23/2018 17:34
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Do you feel it's not great compared to other artists or other Slowdive albums like Souvaki?

What I meant wasn't that I think Slowdive are fantastic songwriters (I don't think I could really say that, not that they are bad, but definitely not top 20 songwriters of all time or whatever), rather that the songwriting seemed much better on their self titled album than Souvaki. Of course there's a bunch of people who disagree with me, but I'd love some context to an album I've yet to understand. Yes Souvaki is a classic shoegaze album... but is it any good and, if so, what attracts you to it?

I was talking of Slowdive in general. I mean, this summer, on the beach, at sunset, will people play some Slowdive song with a guitar around the campfire ? : ) Whereas I know a few MBV or Ride songs suitable for that.
I like Slowdive because of their classic shoegaze sound. That scene really invented a very distinctive sound and this alone is an achievement. But it's even better if you have tunes.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 18:16
  • Post subject:
Both are solid but Souvlaki is more transcendental and provides mores of that wonderful atmosphere

Souvlaki is like an 8-9
Slowdive is a 6-7
  • Visit poster's website