The only diary I have: jdenny2018

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2018 19:01
  • Post subject: The only diary I have: jdenny2018
Post Number 1

Well, I've been documenting my albums for almost a year on twitter, but I guess I'll continue the fun on here. The first one I'll post about is...

Hamburger Concerto // Focus

I found this album fairly recently via BEA. I found Moving Waves (another great Focus album) on here and really liked it, so I dove further into Focus and found this lush gem.

I've listened to it a dozen times over the past week and can't get it out of my head. The arrangements are intricate and succinct, while also having an air of delicacy thrown in there.

It's a great listen for those interested in the more orchestral side of Progressive rock, while not getting sucked deep down into the pit of condescension and overly complicated music.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with posting, perhaps with encouragement I'll keep after it.

Thanks!
jdenny2018

Overall Chart
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2018 19:36
  • Post subject:

I'm back! After waiting a mere 15 minutes, I'm gonna post my next album because why not?

Anyway, the next album I've recently listened to and enjoyed lately is.....

Made in Japan // Deep Purple

Truth be told, I've never been a huge fan of Deep Purple. I have Machine Head on vinyl and enjoy it from time to time.

*Stephen A. Smith voice* Howevah!

I only listened to Made in Japan once and it blew my shoes, socks, shirt and shorts off. Heavy, balls to the wall rock is something I can really get behind, and with Deep Purple turning it to 11, it was really easy to enjoy.

I usually like to keep my assessments short and concise so that's all. Lookout for a new forum thread I'm starting (soon) that will do a deep dive into my top 100 albums list. I'll link it eventually, anyway, peace![/url]
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2018 20:32
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:

I'm back! After waiting a mere 15 minutes, I'm gonna post my next album because why not?

Anyway, the next album I've recently listened to and enjoyed lately is.....

Made in Japan // Deep Purple

Truth be told, I've never been a huge fan of Deep Purple. I have Machine Head on vinyl and enjoy it from time to time.

*Stephen A. Smith voice* Howevah!

I only listened to Made in Japan once and it blew my shoes, socks, shirt and shorts off. Heavy, balls to the wall rock is something I can really get behind, and with Deep Purple turning it to 11, it was really easy to enjoy.

I usually like to keep my assessments short and concise so that's all. Lookout for a new forum thread I'm starting (soon) that will do a deep dive into my top 100 albums list. I'll link it eventually, anyway, peace![/url]

Yeah. Totally agree. That's Deep Purple's best album and I totally dig most of their stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2018 05:21
  • Post subject: Re: The only diary I have: jdenny2018
jdenny2018 wrote:
Post Number 1

Well, I've been documenting my albums for almost a year on twitter, but I guess I'll continue the fun on here. The first one I'll post about is...

Hamburger Concerto // Focus

I found this album fairly recently via BEA. I found Moving Waves (another great Focus album) on here and really liked it, so I dove further into Focus and found this lush gem.

I've listened to it a dozen times over the past week and can't get it out of my head. The arrangements are intricate and succinct, while also having an air of delicacy thrown in there.

It's a great listen for those interested in the more orchestral side of Progressive rock, while not getting sucked deep down into the pit of condescension and overly complicated music.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with posting, perhaps with encouragement I'll keep after it.

Thanks!
jdenny2018

Overall Chart

Trying to remember if this was the double album. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with something else. I know for sure that I like Moving Waves and Focus lll. And I can't say enough about Hocus Pocus. It's so great.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2018 20:23
  • Post subject: #3

Welcome back my friends to the thread that has yet to end! Today's album is....

Air Conditioning // Curved Air

I recently acquired this album on vinyl and listened to it for the first time today. I acquired Phantasmagoria in the same trip, and based on my established admiration for it, I decided to by Air Conditioning as well.

After the first listen, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Air Conditioning more. The songs seem to have more weight to them than Phantasmagoria. The string arrangements were very good, and the interplay between the strings and the other instruments was fantastic.

Random fun fact I just learned: this album was the first picture disk vinyl! But apparently it sucked because noone knew how to make a picture disk yet, so oh well.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this album and will probably seek out more Curved Air in the future.

P.S. I don't feel like I wrote this very well but I really don't care because I'm still figuring this whole forum thing out. So if you think I'm terrible now, just come back in a couple weeks when I get better.

Godspeed music junkies
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2018 16:34
  • Post subject:
#4: Before and After Science // Brian Eno

Brian Eno is slowly becoming one of my favorite musicians ever. I love his collaborations with Robert Fripp, Cluster, and the albums he produced for Bowie, U2 and Talking Heads. He's a master of soundscapes, and this album is just another example of his phenomenal gift.

Recorded with a revolving door of musicians from Can, Cluster, Roxy Music, Fairport Convention and Free, Before and After Science is split down the middle with one side dedicated to Eno's Art Rock and the other side as methodical and soothing ambient tracks.

I'm not the hugest fan of the Art-Rock portion of Eno, I much prefer his Ambient works, but I was still floored by both parts of this album. This album is a perfect segway into Eno's ambient works, starting with Music for Airports directly after this.

Though not my favorite solo Eno (Music for Airports) or my favorite project of his ((No Pussyfooting)) it is definitely an album I plan on revisiting in the future.

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/31/2018 20:38
  • Post subject: Re: #3
jdenny2018 wrote:

Welcome back my friends to the thread that has yet to end! Today's album is....

Air Conditioning // Curved Air

I recently acquired this album on vinyl and listened to it for the first time today. I acquired Phantasmagoria in the same trip, and based on my established admiration for it, I decided to by Air Conditioning as well.

After the first listen, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Air Conditioning more. The songs seem to have more weight to them than Phantasmagoria. The string arrangements were very good, and the interplay between the strings and the other instruments was fantastic.

Random fun fact I just learned: this album was the first picture disk vinyl! But apparently it sucked because noone knew how to make a picture disk yet, so oh well.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this album and will probably seek out more Curved Air in the future.

P.S. I don't feel like I wrote this very well but I really don't care because I'm still figuring this whole forum thing out. So if you think I'm terrible now, just come back in a couple weeks when I get better.

Godspeed music junkies

Your notes on this album tempted me to listen to this album as well mainly also because I never really troubled to get into Curved Air.
And I must say I Quite liked it. There's not really one song which is outstanding but overall the tone of the album was very pleasing though a teeny bit dated.

Anyway from these entries I assume you like the cross-overs from classic to rock and since you already discussed Deep Purple I cannot recommend this one enough
Concerto For Group And Orchestra by Deep Purple
Many people find it pretentious but I love it: one of the best blends between a rock group and a classical orchestra.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2018 16:51
  • Post subject:

Well hey there folks, sorry about missing yesterday, I didn't feel like doing one of these. I did, however, continue my thread breaking down my favorite albums ever. You can see my latest edition in the hyperlink labeled 'Rantings on my top 100'. Anyway, staying on topic, today's album is....

Tusk // Fleetwood Mac

I've always been a passive fan of Fleetwood Mac. Meaning that I liked their songs that would come on the radio, but wouldn't go any deeper than that.

Eventually, my girlfriend expressed her love of Rumours, and basically forced me to listen to it. Well I was blown away by the intricacy and delicate nature of all the songs, as well as the stories surrounding the recording of Rumours.

I have listened to a couple of other FM albums, namely Then Play On and their second self-titled. I never got around to Tusk because I heard it was weird and different than Rumours. That, and I'm generally a lazy person.

But I finally got around to listening to Tusk, and I must say I enjoyed it very much. The production reminded me of Rumours, but the songs sounded like the anti-Rumours album, which I believe was the objective. Their is a great variance in the song styles, combined with the lovely vocals of the group that delight and perplex at the same time.

It's a great long listen, and though I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy Rumours, I will most definitely come back around to this album for more listens.

Well, that's all I got. Like I said, these will be short, but my top 100 breakdowns will be more in depth. I posted about Dark Side of the Moon last night and it was excessively long.

Godspeed Music Junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2018 16:54
  • Post subject:

I'm back again, friends. Hopefully I'll get to post another one of these tonight, but for now, today's album is....

Amazing Grace // Aretha Franklin

My first reaction? Holy shit.

This album was AMAZING. It may already be in my top 100 the next time I decide to update it. Aretha Franklin going all out on this phenomenal double live album was the highlight of my day.

The album feels like the Holy Spirit coming through my body and washing away all my sins, all while making me wanna jump out of my chair with the joyous tunes.

I'd never really listened to Aretha Franklin before this, but now I have to start diving head first into her entire catalog. If the rest of her work is even half as enjoyable as this album it will be a joy to listen to everything she put out.

I may start a tradition of listening to this on Sunday's while I'm driving, that way I can take a whole church with me on the Lord's day.

That's all I got for y'all folks, be sure to check out my top 100 rantings in the link below.

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2018 18:00
  • Post subject:

Kind of a different kind of post today. I was discussing music with some friends and we got on the topic of best albums to listen to on the way home from work on a Friday afternoon. Without further ado, here we go.

Sheer Heart Attack // Queen

Heavy guitar that rocks hard as hell and is a fast and fun way to run out of work.

Born Under a Bad Sign // Albert King

Great bluesy tunes and a good way to blow off some steam.

Jack Johnson // Miles Davis

Hard jazz and mysterious music that starts strong, slows up, and then roars back and parties hard.

Melodrama // Lorde

Solid pop jams from an album that I love more with every listen.

Off the Wall // Michael Jackson

Need I say anything? It's Michael Jackson! So its a instant party starter.
  • Visit poster's website