The only diary I have: jdenny2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2018 16:45
  • Post subject:

Haven't posted in while, been feeling lazy for the most part, but now I'm back! Today's album is...

Drunk // Thundercat

Damn, this was a jazzy album.

I'd been recommended this album after it initially came out last year, and just kind of ignoring it. I knew that Thundercat was involved in To Pimp a Butterfly, but even that wasn't enough to get me to listen to Drunk.

Finally, almost an entire year later, it popped up in my recommended albums tab, and figured "eh, why not?" and gave it a listen. I gotta tell you I enjoyed myself.

With guests ranging from Kendrick Lamar to Kenny fuckin Loggins, the album has a diverse and constantly changing sound that kept pulling me in further and further. I'm sad that I didn't listen to this earlier, because my laziness was the only thing preventing me from listening to it.

Anyway, Drunk is a great listen, and I can't wait to check out Drank, the remixed version of Drunk.

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2018 22:29
  • Post subject:
Howdy there folks, it me again. Back with yet another music diary entry. Today's entry is:
Unbreakable Smile // Tori Kelly

Hot damn did I enjoy this album.

I threw this on while at work today, and, like the title suggests, was smiling ear to ear throughout the entire album. This is an album with some extremely catchy beats, some poignant and meaningful lyrics, and an undeniably fun feel.

I remember sitting on my couch in 2015 with my roommate flipping between sports and the VMAs, and we heard "ladies and gentlemen, Tori Kelly!" and almost simultaneously said "who the fuck is Tori Kelly?" Well, on that night this was Tori Kelly.

Link

After we picked our jaws up off the floor, I remember saying I should check out her music, and proceeded to ignore her music for almost three years. Damn me and my laziness!

Anyway, this is a great album, so listen to it.

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2018 00:35
  • Post subject:
Once again, I haven't posted in a couple days. Once again, I apologize. Today's album is
Illusions On A Double Dimple // Triumvirat

This album had been sitting on my iPod for about two years and I finally got around to listening to it today.

I liked it. A lot.

The only other Triumvirat album I listened to was Spartacus and though I enjoyed it, I wasn't necessarily blown away by it.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed Illusions on a Double Dimple. The instrumentation is intricate and relentless, the lyrics are (somewhat) comprehensible, and the flow of the album was outstanding.

If you enjoy wildly overblown progressive rock that never ends but manages to keep its momentum up for 50 minutes, you'll enjoy the shit out of the album. If the previous sentence doesn't describe you, give it a try anyway. You'll never know if you don't try it!

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2018 00:43
  • Post subject:
Two days in a row for a post? Look at me go! Anyway, today's album is
Romantic Warrior by Chick Corea & R...to Forever

I've been a fan of RTF since I found Light as a Feather and realized they recorded my favorite version of "Spain." I happened to play the RTF version of Spain in high school jazz band and it was lit as shit.

This album is a little more avant-garde than their usual stuff, but it's a great and cohesive album that may be my favorite RTF album now.

If you like anything in the vein of Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra or electric Miles Davis, you will enjoy the hell out of this album.

Fun fact: Chick Corea dedicated this album to L. Ron Hubbard.

Anyway... Give it a listen!
  • Visit poster's website