A Deep Dive Into My Top 100 Albums ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 16:39
  • Post subject: A Deep Dive Into My Top 100 Albums ever
Greetings! I'm going to be creating a long thread that fully explains my infatuation with my top 100 albums.

I feel like when I'm reading a top 100 list, I just want to see the selections and a brief explanation. And in that selfish vein, I skip over a lot of lengthy descriptions most of the time.

So, assuming that everybody thinks exactly like me, I'm starting this thread to sort of ramble on my favorite albums, and keep my top 100 descriptions short (or nonexistent).

Like the top 100 lists, I'm gonna go from 1 to 100

In the words of my favorite plumber, "Lets-a-go!"

Edit: I started this in the "Music" section and was told this was a more suitable place. So, here we are.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 16:40
  • Post subject: #1: Hemispheres by Rush
#1: Hemispheres // Rush

Rush was the first band I ever fell in love with. My dad first introduced them to me in middle school, and after listening to their Chronicles compilation album, I was unimpressed the first time through. Back on the shelf the CD went, and there it sat for a couple years. I heard Rush on the radio once I started driving, and figured they were worth another shot. I started with Moving Pictures, and just kept buying CDs until I had every album. Needless to say, I was obsessed. My obsession got so intense that a friend I drove home everyday began singing along to Rush, despite the fact that he was only in my car for 5 minutes a day. After that, I toned it down a little bit, but the intense love for Rush is still there.

Hemispheres is Rush's 6th album, and the one that almost destroyed them. After putting out their two previous albums, 2112 and A Farewell to Kings, Rush was looking to top those two massive albums. Recorded in England over the course of June/July 1978, Hemispheres was to be a sprawling and ambitious continuation of A Farewell to Kings.

The album begins with Cygnus X-1: Book 2. It makes up the entirety of side one, and is a huge track that continues from Book 1 on AFTK, adding in a parable about Heart vs. Mind with a Greek mythology backdrop. Like most long Rush tracks, it goes through numerous tempo and style changes, and its shear magnitude is something to marvel at, especially when you realize that there's only 3 guys in the band. This swirling spiral of sound that surrounds my senses in this song shakes my soul. Alliteration aside, this massive track is truly one of my favorite songs ever, and one that I find something new with every listen. Rating: 10/10

Side two begins with two short songs, oddly enough. Circumstances, otherwise known as the one that Geddy Lee sings in french, is the first track. The Trees, Neil Peart's take on if trees had to worry about governing, is the second track. Both of these tracks highlight something that Rush does not get enough credit for, and that is making concise tracks that still rock hard as hell. Though they're stereotyped to have mammoth sized songs that seemingly never end, there are dozens of shorter tracks that don't get any love. Well, I love these two songs dearly, and I can't speak highly enough of them. Rating: Circumstances: 9.5/10. The Trees: 10/10

As we reach the conclusion of the album, we reach my favorite song ever. The song to end all songs, and the song that nearly destroyed Rush: La Villa Strangiato. Just thinking about this song gives me goosebumps. In an effort to prove to themselves that they could do it, Rush opted to record this live, in one take... at first. As days turned into weeks, it was clear that they would be unable to record it in one take. They then decided to record it in 3 big chunks, and then stitch it together. It took them two weeks to record this song, which was longer than it took to record their entire 2nd album. Think about that. They took over 2 weeks for a 9-minute song, and it took them less time to record a entire fucking album. God, I love Rush. This song is truly an amazing experience, and, if you're so inclined, give the isolated bass and drums a listen, it'll blow your skin off. Rating: 17/10.

In conclusion, Rush set out (presumably) to make their version of a Yes album. The only proof I have of this is the fact that they love Yes, and the album structure is really similar to Close to the Edge. Either way, a masterpiece of the ages came out of their ambition, and an album that I will always cherish and hold dear to me for all time. Now that you've sat through this whole thing, time to give it a listen, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kKFR_YCD0

Godspeed music junkies
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 16:42
  • Post subject:
#2: Songs in the Key of Life // Stevie Wonder

The first time I ever listened to this album, I was left completely speechless. I distinctly remember saying "Wow" more times than I had ever said it for other albums. I sincerely believe that it the single greatest musical achievement to ever be bestowed upon the world, and I will fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

What I love about this album is how amazingly diverse it is. The album covers many different genres and styles with all sorts of thematic elements in the lyrics, dealing heavily with God, social issues, struggles, and the joy of music.

This album, to me, represents what it feels like to be alive in the world. To experience all the love, joy, fear and pain that life brings us and keep singing the songs and praising God. The album is a snapshot of the human condition, and a testament to all of life's trials and tribulations.

At one point, I would listen to the album in its entirety every morning at work. It worked as a catch-all for my emotions, perfectly reflecting my mood, no matter how I felt. That's the amazing power of this album. These songs can be sung joyfully or heart-broken, rendering internal emotions outward.

The shear scope of this album is another thing I marvel at. There are 21 songs on this album, and all of them are certifiable masterpieces. There is not a weak, dull, or underwhelming note in Wonder's magnus opus.

So please, come, sit, and have a talk with God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFam9Tkm...fYjEcDWQJO

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:
#3: Bitches Brew // Miles Davis

If there is a better album to listen to at night, I have not found it. This masterwork of a musical genius is an enthralling and mind-altering journey into pure unadulterated creativity.

Miles Davis had been working toward this moment with his previous releases, notably with George Benson on a track on his underrated 'Miles in the Sky' LP, culminating in a Jazz album the likes of which had never been seen before.

What I love about this album is the atmosphere that surrounds you as you consume this album. Sitting in a dimly lit room in the wee hours of night is the place where this album belongs, where the shadows dance on the walls and the dark permeates your soul leaving you with an unquestionable feeling of uneasiness. This is an album for contemplation and solitude, not your typical dinner party jazz.

Despite playing trumpet all throughout school, I have only become a hardcore Miles Davis fan in the last 2-ish years. But the breadth of music I've been introduced to in that time is truly incredible. I started with his "Classic" period, which re-introduced me to John Coltrane (stay tuned for my meditations on Coltrane), Cannonball Adderly, Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie (stay tuned). As I moved through his albums, I eventually found myself to Bitches Brew, where I was introduced to John MacLaughlin (stay tuned), Herbie Hancock (Stay tuned), Wayne Shorter and Chick Corea (Stay tuned).

I could take this time to talk about the true majesty of Bitches Brew, but the best speaking I can do is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCt-iXIXlQ "ring ring ring ring"

Godspeed Music Junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2018 21:23
  • Post subject:
Loving this journey so far. Great, very personal notes.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2018 01:29
  • Post subject:
#4:Close to the Edge // Yes

We have reached the point in the album countdown where we get into the deeply emotional chunk of albums. The next few albums will be deeply personal for several reasons, including the pure joy of music, nostalgia, introspective listening, inner peace, and how the album relates to those I interact with in the world around me

Close to the Edge falls into the joy of music portion above.

The big draw to this album is the intricacy of the music being brought to your ears. As the album begins, a light swirling begins low and moves all around you. Before long, your thrust into a break neck speed album of fierce melodies and lovely interplay between instruments, before it just stops for a split second to introduce a 3 (4?) part vocal harmony that stops you dead in your tracks. Then it begins again and keeps going.

Every song on this album is an emotional whirlwind that isn't emotional because of the lyrics (mostly because they're too strange to fully comprehend) but because of the beautiful music cascading through your body. This entire album is like a dopamine shot straight to the heart for all of the truly beautiful moments packaged in this LP. Every song has a musical moment that crescendos and crescendos that build to a monumental musical apex that when it finally comes you feel as though you've been thrown off the top of a mountain and are gliding high above the trees marveling at the magic that you had just experienced.

There are only three songs on this album. If you read my Hemispheres breakdown (which I'll assume you did. After all, what kind of sociopath would skip to number 4 without reading number 1? I mean, seriously, you had to scroll past Hemispheres to get here, so I'm just gonna assume you read Hemispheres............... Okay go read my entry for Hemispheres you liar, and come back when you wanna follow the rules (ambiguously) laid out in my first post. And yes, I just used parentheses inside of parentheses, deal with it. Anyway, where was I?) you'll know that, I claimed, that Hemispheres is essentially Rush trying to make a Yes album with 3 people. This is the album they were emulating.

It begins with a side long composition entitled "Close to the Edge." This passage weaves seamlessly through sound landscapes and lightning fast musical passages that guide through a land of sheer insanity. Tempo changes are constant, instruments drop out only to spring up somewhere completely unexpected, until there's a lengthy section with only droning keyboard and vocal harmonies. You're then thrown back into the middle of a chaotic collection of clashing clanging sounds (Punctuated by an amazing Rick Wakeman solo). These sounds build and build until you're thrown upward into a moment that will enthrall you and bring an immense feeling of unadulterated joy and splendor at the beauty of life, love, and music. At least, that's how I feel about it.

Side two begins with "And You and I", a slow acoustic ballad that doesn't get above a tempo of 80 (I'm guessing) to help you recover from the musical adventure you have just taken. It's a soft and sweet ballad that perfectly displays the lighter side of Yes that people kind of ignore, thinking that "Roundabout" is the only good progressive rock song ever put out. The album concludes with another up-tempo jam piece, this time entitled "Siberian Khatru" and is an excuse to show off how immensely talented every member of Yes is. The song cascades down a Rainbow Road on 150cc difficulty song that never slows up for a moment, even when the only instruments are a bass guitar and the voices.

And just like that, the album fades out, leaving you with a feeling of unbridled bewilderment but immense pleasure.

Story time! When I was in college, I was part of a music appreciation club (that I later became President of) that listened to an album every week that was deemed "significant" in music history. One week out of the month, members got to vote for an album to listen to at the next meeting, and "Close to the Edge" was picked. Knowing my love for the album (and the fact that I'd been telling everybody to listen to it for the entire time I'd been part of the club) I was allowed by the President to present the album to the group. My biggest worry was that, since it was Progressive rock, people would think it was nerdy and stupid, and that everybody would hate it and secretly think I was stupid for liking weird music. Well if I wasn't damned when the executive board (none of whom had ever listened to the album) told me afterwards that they had thoroughly enjoyed the album. The President (Hi Andy!) even bought the album on vinyl and encouraged me for the next year to embrace my tastes and share them with others, despite the fear of invalidation of my peers. For those of you wanting to hear more about this club, stay tuned for future posts.

So, in essence, this album makes me think about the sheer majesty that music holds for individuals. We don't have to all like the same thing or even like each other, but what we can do is bond over the shared love we have of music and use that to grow closer to one another and form deeper bonds of love that last throughout time. For the few people that are actually still reading this, continue to love music, love one another, and love one another's love of music.

Thanks for reading. Stay a while, have a listen. Enjoy yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkWac-Nm0A

Godspeed Music Junkies
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/31/2018 02:38
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
My biggest worry was that, since it was Progressive rock, people would think it was nerdy and stupid, and that everybody would hate it and secretly think I was stupid for liking weird music. Well if I wasn't damned when the executive board (none of whom had ever listened to the album) told me afterwards that they had thoroughly enjoyed the album. The President (Hi Andy!) even bought the album on vinyl and encouraged me for the next year to embrace my tastes and share them with others, despite the fear of invalidation of my peers. For those of you wanting to hear more about this club, stay tuned for future posts.

Great posting, I especially like this bit here. It can be vulnerable sharing something you're interested in like that, so it's very great to see it work out so well!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2018 00:52
  • Post subject:
#5: How the West Was Won // Led Zeppelin

Although I mentioned in my previous post that we were in the midst of deeply emotional and personal albums at this point in the countdown, this album doesn't really fit into either of those categories.

It does, however, rock.

The superior live Zeppelin album, recorded in 1972 but not released until the early 2000s, How the West Was Won is a benchmark in how to do a live album. Had this been released back during their peak, I'm positive that it would be hailed as one of the all-time great live albums. Zeppelin's full range is on display during this show, seamlessly going from their standards like Stairway to Heaven to their folk set which included Going to California, That's the Way, and Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp.

I love all of Zeppelin's studio albums (not counting Coda) and I was surprised that it took me so long to find this phenomenal display of their musical prowess. The energy in all the songs is what keeps drawing me back to the album listen after listen after listen. There is nary a dull moment in the album, not in the acoustic set, not in the massive Dazed and Confused or Whole Lotta Love or Moby Dick. An album that sustain such energy at such a long run time is rare to come by, and Zeppelin knew what they were doing when they put this together.

Since I don't really have any extreme emotional connection to this album per se, I'll just have another Story Time! My girlfriend's favorite bands are Eagles, Zeppelin, Supertramp, and the Who. Before I had met her, I wasn't super into Zeppelin. But over the course of dating, she indoctrinated me with all of the Zeppelin she knew, and soon enough, she had made me a Zeppelin maniac. Now I should mention one thing. She prefers The Song Remains the Same over How the West Was Won. I don't know how someone could have such a disturbed point of view, but alas, we've made it work.

I guess this one will be a short post since there's no real emotional connection. That, and I kinda burned myself out writing the summary for Close to the Edge last night. Plus, why talk about Zeppelin when you can hear them for yourself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3110Efe-...fmn37DPOw9

Note: For best listening experience, turn stereo up to highest volume

Godspeed Golden Gods of Music!
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/01/2018 01:23
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
#3: Bitches Brew // Miles Davis

If there is a better album to listen to at night, I have not found it.

I'll second the hell out of that! Probably my favourite jazz record in all honesty. It's at least the highest one in my top 100. This diary is fantastic man. So glad you ported it over.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/01/2018 01:29
  • Post subject:
Good taste in music. I am enjoying reading your notes man.
  • Visit poster's website