Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/03/2018 14:49
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Ok I'm really confused. How can To Pimp A Butterfly fall from #60 in the overall to #74 in a custom chart with a five year expiration date when it was released less than five years ago? 100% of its points are from the last five years, so going down in rank should be impossible. Something must be wrong here.

sounds like a bug in the custom chart feature which might also explain Puncture's findings. I need to check into (EDIT: excluding recognised charts seems to yield better results - I don't think the year filter is being applied to recognised charts.).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2018 09:35
  • Post subject: Re: Chart Formula Suggestions
baystateoftheart wrote:
I propose that once a member chart goes five years without being updated, it should no longer apply toward the overall rankings.

Playing devil's advocate a little bit, what if a member doesn't update a yearly, decade or overall chart for five years because they're happy with it, but have revised most of their yearly and decade charts in the last five years and are active, contributing members? I could see decaying it after five years, but to discount someone's yearly chart from the previous century completely because they haven't had a chance to revisit it and are active members seems a tad harsh.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 01/03/2020 19:55
  • Post subject:
The new implementation of decaying overall chart scores over time as announced by albummaster recently seems to have a fairly big effect on scores although I can't really capture the real effects yet. I suppose not for the worst.
Maybe I'll try to see the effects on the overall top 2500 chart I recently finished listening to (I think on time otherwise I'd have to do the whole thing again Brick wall Not talking Wink Laughing )
At first view about 100 new albums have entered the overall top 2500 chart of which of course also some 2019 albums and many albums of the naughts. But also older surprise ex Come Fly With Me, a 1958 Frank Sinatra album rising from rank 2587 (ie outside the top 2500) to 2162; or The Atomic Mr. Basie also from 1958 rising from 2515 to 2148.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/04/2020 10:55
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
The new implementation of decaying overall chart scores over time as announced by albummaster recently seems to have a fairly big effect on scores although I can't really capture the real effects yet. I suppose not for the worst.
Maybe I'll try to see the effects on the overall top 2500 chart I recently finished listening to (I think on time otherwise I'd have to do the whole thing again Brick wall Not talking Wink Laughing )

Hi, sorry for that Smile (and for anyone else here that may have been using the list) you can use the 'View chart at point in time' toolbar (on the overall chart page) to view previous versions of the chart before the algorithm change.
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 21:24
  • Post subject:
AM,

Do scores now depreciate continuously or stepwise (every month/year/etc.)?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/30/2020 08:38
  • Post subject:
Scores depreciate daily over ten years instead of using a cliff-edge (from start of 2020).
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 07/30/2020 08:44
  • Post subject:
So the trigger for that depreciation is the last date the chart was changed (or reconfirmed)? So it makes sense to regularly reconfirm a chart (even if it doesn't change) to keep it relevant... (doesn't really apply to me because I change them all the time Wink )
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/30/2020 09:37
  • Post subject:
Yes, it's the date the chart was last updated (but only for overall charts). Year/decade charts are not affected.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2020 20:56
  • Post subject:
I just checked my overall chart and found my #1 album gets 99 points instead of 100; my #2 album gets 98, and so on. And I just updated it last month, so recently, and it's already started to depreciate. BEA, ya'll gotta stay on top of your overall list. Like dihansse said, reconfirm your list periodically even if you don't change any rankings.