About Russian Music

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NickGordons

Russia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 13:01
  • Post subject: About Russian Music
Hi) Do you know about russian artists and bands of modern music?
I know that russian music has collected by musical nerds in USA and Europe on vinyls and cds. Its rare soviet funk and dicso, more often russian VIA (vocal and instrumental band; translate)
Soviet music was splitted in two ways: artists on TV and radio (for working class and other peoples), and opposition rock music (they don't show on TV but peoples know it and listen to it).
Nowadays in Russia are so many music in different genres. But musicians has splitted in two ways: russian showbiz (pop music) and the other (same rock, classic music)
Its so difficult to play music in Russia, cause you will not be famous, and don't reach a money to be secured and take satisfaction.
It's a little bit sadly((
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 13:27
  • Post subject: Re: About Russian Music
NickGordons wrote:
I know that russian music has collected by musical nerds in USA and Europe on vinyls and cds. Its rare soviet funk and dicso, more often russian VIA (vocal and instrumental band; translate)
Soviet music was splitted in two ways: artists on TV and radio (for working class and other peoples), and opposition rock music (they don't show on TV but peoples know it and listen to it).
Nowadays in Russia are so many music in different genres. But musicians has splitted in two ways: russian showbiz (pop music) and the other (same rock, classic music)
Its so difficult to play music in Russia, cause you will not be famous, and don't reach a money to be secured and take satisfaction.

It does suck that these artists in different countries will have to work really hard to make ends meat. Maybe a revolt in the music scene might fix it? But what do I know.
  • Visit poster's website
NickGordons

Russia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 15:48
Luigii wrote:
NickGordons wrote:

It does suck that these artists in different countries will have to work really hard to make ends meat. Maybe a revolt in the music scene might fix it? But what do I know.

I think that there is some system, and if you fit in with it, despite talent, you'll win, before was better, so Russian music is not popular, cause lyrics are foreign, people don't understand Russian, its really hard for you if you just start to learn it, world speaks in English lol Confused
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 17:46
  • Post subject:
Very interested in this! Look forward to what this thread has to offer in the future! Thank you for your input. Do you have any lists/examples of your favorite Russian music, be it traditional or non-traditional or Soviet/non-Soviet era music.

I really only know classical music from Russia. I actually probably think the Russian composers are the best... Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev are amazing. For modern music I only know Pussy Riot because they made the news here.

So far this is what BEA has, but haven't spent anytime on it. This is likely the result of very few Russians, so hearing your feedback would be fantastic.

Top Ranked Russian Artists:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/bandstat...=0&y=0

Top Ranked Russian Albums:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/makechar...=RankScore
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:
Actually now that I think about it, I was shown this and liked it. I'm totally ignorant... is this in Russian language? Would you consider it Russian music or not so much? I think he's from Latvia technically, so I suppose it is technically Latvian, but I don't really know anything.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 18:05
NickGordons wrote:
Luigii wrote:
NickGordons wrote:

I think that there is some system, and if you fit in with it, despite talent, you'll win, before was better, so Russian music is not popular, cause lyrics are foreign, people don't understand Russian, its really hard for you if you just start to learn it, world speaks in English lol Confused

Is this true even in Russia? I remember being in Germany and thinking half the popular music actually sung in English, even if the artist was German.

And yes it's a weird dynamic/difficulty to overcome, but there are a good handful that make it even if they don't sing in English. I have some American friends who favor Scandinavian Metal over English speaking metal for example. I really like Sigur Rós, Madsen (German punk), Wyclef Jean (when he raps in Haitian Creole), etc. regardless of it not being in English. But no, I don't think a single Russian artist of modern pop music makes it to the top 100 on this site, even if there's likely many amazing Russian artists.

And I guess again, classical or jazz or instrument only music makes it really easy because there is no language barrier, but honestly, if the music is amazing, I don't care what language they are singing in. It's usually the lack of exposure that's preventing me from liking it.

Anyway, this is your journal... sorry for being so excited about it!
  • Visit poster's website
NickGordons

Russia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 19:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Very interested in this! Look forward to what this thread has to offer in the future! Thank you for your input. Do you have any lists/examples of your favorite Russian music, be it traditional or non-traditional or Soviet/non-Soviet era music.

I really only know classical music from Russia. I actually probably think the Russian composers are the best... Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev are amazing. For modern music I only know Pussy Riot because they made the news here.

So far this is what BEA has, but haven't spent anytime on it. This is likely the result of very few Russians, so hearing your feedback would be fantastic.

Yep, thx)) I can give you the several good examples, find it at Wikipedia)
Alla Pugacheva - she's like Areta Franklin in USA, she is soviet and russain pop singer, at the 70's or 80's she was the best, sometimes was like Madonna, she made up our russian showbiz, like the Queen of Pop.
Valery Leontiev - he's like Michael Jackson, pop singer (the best song Deltaplan, disco funk), now its a truly sh*t.
Muslim Magomaev - he was an opera singer, but his genius voice can sing everything, old artist, now dead(
Kino (Film) (Viktor Tsoi) - legend of russian rock (post-punk), now dead, one of the best artists of Russia.
Vladimir Vysotsky - bard music (like Johnny Cash, all USSR listen to him, also actor, poet, singer with harsh voice, reeeal man, must know russian for listen to him truly, now dead.
Pesnyary (The Singers) - Belarus band by Vladimir Mulyavin, one of the greatest band (VIA) of USSR, sometimes they like a traditional slavic folk (So Russian Led Zeppelin)
Bravo - surf, rockabilly and twist band, has a different marks, except leader (So in every russian rock band).
Nautilus Pompilius (Vycheslav Butusov) - post-punk and new wave band.
Mashina Vremeni (Time Machine) - rock band (one of the first) by Andrei Makarevich, great fans of The Beatles (analogy?)
Akvarium - "russian Pink Floyd" - spiritual and psychedeic folk band by Boris Grebenschikov (BG)
Alisa (Alice) - hard rock band (old albums post-punk) by Konstantin Kinchev.
Aria - metal band, little bit copy of Iron Maiden.
Agata Kristie - depressive and gothic post-punk band by brothers Samoilov, sometimes like The Cure
Splean - alternative band by Alex Vasiliev, sometimes like Raidohead
Tarakany - pop-punk band
Korol i Shut (King and Jester) - great horror-punk band by Mikhail Gorshenev (Gorshok), now is dead.
Zemfira - Indie-rock singer, one of the best))
Oxxxymiron - rap artist, no comments, check out rap battles with him
Little Big - funeral-rave band, sometimes its like the Die Antwood
This list is not finish, you can take information from Wikipedia
  • Visit poster's website
NickGordons

Russia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 19:28
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Actually now that I think about it, I was shown this and liked it. I'm totally ignorant... is this in Russian language? Would you consider it Russian music or not so much? I think he's from Latvia technically, so I suppose it is technically Latvian, but I don't really know anything.

Link

His name is Vitas, he's very popular in China (like a god, you know?), russian pop singer with a meme angel voice))
  • Visit poster's website
NickGordons

Russia

• Posted: 09/02/2018 19:38
sethmadsen wrote:
NickGordons wrote:
Luigii wrote:
NickGordons wrote:

Is this true even in Russia? I remember being in Germany and thinking half the popular music actually sung in English, even if the artist was German.

And yes it's a weird dynamic/difficulty to overcome, but there are a good handful that make it even if they don't sing in English. I have some American friends who favor Scandinavian Metal over English speaking metal for example. I really like Sigur Rós, Madsen (German punk), Wyclef Jean (when he raps in Haitian Creole), etc. regardless of it not being in English. But no, I don't think a single Russian artist of modern pop music makes it to the top 100 on this site, even if there's likely many amazing Russian artists.

And I guess again, classical or jazz or instrument only music makes it really easy because there is no language barrier, but honestly, if the music is amazing, I don't care what language they are singing in. It's usually the lack of exposure that's preventing me from liking it.

Anyway, this is your journal... sorry for being so excited about it!

Sorry man, such as you are a little sand on this earth, bad monetary music and our governments makes crowds of people not interested in anything else, thank you so much
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 20:35
  • Post subject:
NickGordons wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Yep, thx)) I can give you the several good examples, find it at Wikipedia)
Alla Pugacheva - she's like Areta Franklin in USA, she is soviet and russain pop singer, at the 70's or 80's she was the best, sometimes was like Madonna, she made up our russian showbiz, like the Queen of Pop.
Valery Leontiev - he's like Michael Jackson, pop singer (the best song Deltaplan, disco funk), now its a truly sh*t.
Muslim Magomaev - he was an opera singer, but his genius voice can sing everything, old artist, now dead(
Kino (Film) (Viktor Tsoi) - legend of russian rock (post-punk), now dead, one of the best artists of Russia.
Vladimir Vysotsky - bard music (like Johnny Cash, all USSR listen to him, also actor, poet, singer with harsh voice, reeeal man, must know russian for listen to him truly, now dead.
Pesnyary (The Singers) - Belarus band by Vladimir Mulyavin, one of the greatest band (VIA) of USSR, sometimes they like a traditional slavic folk (So Russian Led Zeppelin)
Bravo - surf, rockabilly and twist band, has a different marks, except leader (So in every russian rock band).
Nautilus Pompilius (Vycheslav Butusov) - post-punk and new wave band.
Mashina Vremeni (Time Machine) - rock band (one of the first) by Andrei Makarevich, great fans of The Beatles (analogy?)
Akvarium - "russian Pink Floyd" - spiritual and psychedeic folk band by Boris Grebenschikov (BG)
Alisa (Alice) - hard rock band (old albums post-punk) by Konstantin Kinchev.
Aria - metal band, little bit copy of Iron Maiden.
Agata Kristie - depressive and gothic post-punk band by brothers Samoilov, sometimes like The Cure
Splean - alternative band by Alex Vasiliev, sometimes like Raidohead
Tarakany - pop-punk band
Korol i Shut (King and Jester) - great horror-punk band by Mikhail Gorshenev (Gorshok), now is dead.
Zemfira - Indie-rock singer, one of the best))
Oxxxymiron - rap artist, no comments, check out rap battles with him
Little Big - funeral-rave band, sometimes its like the Die Antwood
This list is not finish, you can take information from Wikipedia

Thank you very much! And yes, you are right, I can just go to wikipedia or research the Russian artists on this site, but so nice to have your input/letting me know what it is comparable to, etc.
  • Visit poster's website