Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/02/2018 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2819): Abbey Road by The Beatles
Today's album of the day

Abbey Road by The Beatles (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1969.
Overall rank: 3
Average rating: 91/100 (from 3466 votes).

Tracks:
1. Come Together
2. Something
3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus's Garden
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Because
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 20:02
  • Post subject:
Solid album...for sure.

3rd best album of all time...bullshit.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 21:46
  • Post subject:
I agree third is too high but calling that bullshit is far from appropriate. i think its better than whats ahead of it on our chart.but its all opinion anyways.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 21:57
  • Post subject:
This and Sgt Peppers easily tie for me as their best works. I think George Martin said that Come Together was John Lennon's best performance. Harrison adds some of his best work as well.

Best ever album? Well it's pretty close for me. It's holistic approach. The medley. Hell even the silly/psychedelic/surreal experience of Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Is it the most innovative or experimental music ever - no. Is it full of complex, yet beautiful melodies and fantastic arrangements, yes. Does it have some of my favorite bass/drum work, yes. Are the lyrics clever, sometimes. Does it make me feel human, always.

Anyway, like it's been stated, all are welcome to their opinion, but it's impact on music history won't be forgotten. Sure you can find the one off [fill in the blank] on the internet who says otherwise, but by and large it is highly respected by professional musicians, musicologists, and music fans world wide.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 22:12
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
I agree third is too high but calling that bullshit is far from appropriate. i think its better than whats ahead of it on our chart.but its all opinion anyways.

I think 3rd is bullshit. I acknowledge it's a solid album but it's another album overrated by association. By a certain point in their discography, The Beatles were above criticism, and whatever album they released henceforth was gonna be worshiped no matter how gloated with filler it was. Abbey Road doesn't have nearly as much filler as the self-titled album, but the skip button still comes in handy when listening. I can think of a few tracks I could live without. However there are enough standout tracks to earn my respect and I say it's solid overall. But I don't consider it Top 100 worthy, let alone 3rd.

But like you say, it's all opinion...what's filler to me may be someone else's gold.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/02/2018 22:41
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I think 3rd is bullshit. I acknowledge it's a solid album but it's another album overrated by association. By a certain point in their discography, The Beatles were above criticism, and whatever album they released henceforth was gonna be worshiped no matter how gloated with filler it was. Abbey Road doesn't have nearly as much filler as the self-titled album, but the skip button still comes in handy when listening. I can think of a few tracks I could live without. However there are enough standout tracks to earn my respect and I say it's solid overall. But I don't consider it Top 100 worthy, let alone 3rd.

But like you say, it's all opinion...what's filler to me may be someone else's gold.

Just out of curiosity, which tracks could be deleted from the album? I think most would say MSH, but what others aren't really worth listening to? (not trying to disagree, just trying to understand your point of view).
  • Visit poster's website
facu-janssen

Argentina

• Posted: 09/02/2018 23:20
  • Post subject:
The best album of all time Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/02/2018 23:33
  • Post subject:
Fantastic album. The first Beatles album I bought. A masterpiece.
  • Visit poster's website
BLO

• Posted: 09/03/2018 00:24
  • Post subject:
facu-janssen wrote:
The best album of all time Mr. Green

I was just about to say the same thing. Every track is either great or one of the best songs of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2018 01:00
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which tracks could be deleted from the album? I think most would say MSH, but what others aren't really worth listening to? (not trying to disagree, just trying to understand your point of view).

Well we can do a track-by-track analysis like we did in the old days. But you go first Wink

Or we can take turns by album half?
  • Visit poster's website