Herman’s Hermits – I‘m Henry VIII, I Am 1965
Beatles – Rock and Roll Music 1964
Animals – We Gotta Get out of This Place 1965
Wanda Jackson – Lets Have a Party 1958
Sonny & Cher – I got you Babe 1965
Del Shannon – Handy Man 1964
Four Jacks and a Jill – Master Jack 1967
Bobby Freeman – Do you wanna dance 1958

This is not one of my favourites. There are some great songs on it but also some bad stuff.
I never liked Blondie. Maybe because they were hyped as something new. It is Kindergarten music. Which is a legitimate sub-genre of Pop music. But they did it badly. Offender is one of their better songs. But still far from good.
I mentioned that I dislike Blue Bayou. Why I taped this is beyond me. One can say that unlike Roy Orbison she managed to exploit the full badness of the song. Which is some kind of achievement.
Mr. Blue Sky is a great song. ELO seemed to be unable to turn out bad records. From Can’t get it out of my head, the first one I consciously remember to Mr. Blue Sky every single they turned out was excellent. Then they released two or three mediocre songs and then in a bizarre twist starting with Confusion only incredibly bad material.
They will be playing live next week in my hometown. And I would love to see them but I would not be able to sit thru Confusion, or Don’t bring me down.
In these days the only thing by Herman’s Hermits you will hear on the Oldie stations is No Milk today. Now it is okay to ignore Something but Dandy and Henry (’enery) are just fine. Okay, the Kinks’ version of Dandy is better but there must be a reason why Americans preferred Herman.
Talking of versions... My favourite Elvis song is by Terry Stafford. I love Elvis, I grew up with Elvis (the only pop/rock record my parents possessed was an Elvis compilation) but sometimes his voice is too excalted (if that’s the right word). And comparing his version of Suspicion with Terry’s makes that clear. Stafford’s way of singing just gives meaning to the lyrics.
Check it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzY-PrwwHk

Killer Queen is, of course, a killer record. The best Queen ever made. But here it seems out of place. I am sure I also have it on a different cassette and will talk about some other time.
Only last year I learned that this nice instrumental was in fact by Andrew Lloyd Webber. That came as a shock. But it is still really good.

Next, we have Dooley Wilson singing As Time Goes By. It was a British Top 20 Hit in 1978 along with dialogue from Casablanca. So Ingrid hums it for him and then Humphrey says: „You played it for Harry, you play it for me. Play it!“ At least that’s what it sounds like to me. Great.
Rock and Roll Music is another song I cannot stand. And the Beatles do not manage to breathe some life into it.
I got you Babe, on the other hand, is a favourite. I once saw a young couple in a New York club presenting a Sonny & Cher act. And they were magnificent. The way they looked at each other made me believe in true love again. And made me like the originals even more.
Del Shannon was my first singer-hero. He had an amazing voice and was able to improve the best songs. Listen to his version of Rag Doll. But Handy Man is pretty lame.
Which leaves the Animals. Very strong. And Wanda and Bobby, both okay. And last but certainly not least: Four Jacks and a Jill.
„It‘s a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.“ It is something that I will say at appropriate times. And no one has a clue. Which just proves how strange the world is. I mean, why is this not better known? They made 12 albums. And were not even in the BEA database. A wonderful song. „You taught me all I know and I‘ll never look back.“ Nearly the best one here. Alas...

Best song: Suspicion

Last edited by Liedzeit on 09/21/2018 10:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2018 01:49
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:

Master Jack by Four Jacks And A Jill

Agfa Yellow-1 - 1978

Blondie – X Offender 1976
Linda Ronstadt – Blue Bayou 1977
Electric Light Orchestra – Mr. Blue Sky 1977
Herman’s Hermits – Something’s in happening 1968
Queen – Killer Queen 1974
Andrew Lloyd Webber – Variations 1-4 from „Song & Dance“
Terry Stafford – Suspicion 1964

Dooley Wilson – As Time Goes By 1943/1978
Herman’s Hermits – Dandy
Herman’s Hermits – I‘m Henry VIII, I Am 1965
Beatles – Rock and Roll Music 1964
Animals – We Gotta Get out of This Place 1965
Wanda Jackson – Lets Have a Party 1958
Sony & Cher – I got you Babe 1965
Del Shannon – Handy Man 1964
Four Jacks and a Jill – Master Jack 1967
Bobby Freeman – Do you wanna dance 1958

This is not one of my favourites. There are some great songs on it but also some bad stuff.
I never liked Blondie. Maybe because they were hyped as something new. It is Kindergarten music. Which is a legitimate sub-genre of Pop music. But they did it badly. Offender is one of their better songs. But still far from good.
I mentioned that I dislike Blue Bayou. Why I taped this is beyond me. One can say that unlike Roy Orbison she managed to exploit the full badness of the song. Which is some kind of achievement.
Mr. Blue Sky is a great song. ELO seemed to be unable to turn out bad records. From Can’t get it out of my head, the first one I consciously remember to Mr. Blue Sky every single they turned out was excellent. Then they released two or three mediocre songs and then in a bizarre twist starting with Confusion only incredibly bad material.
They will be playing live next week in my hometown. And I would love to see them but I would not be able to sit thru Confusion, or Don’t bring me down.
In these days the only thing by Herman’s Hermits you will hear on the Oldie stations is No Milk today. Now it is okay to ignore Something but Dandy and Henry (’enery) are just fine. Okay, the Kinks’ version of Dandy is better but there must be a reason why Americans preferred Herman.
Talking of versions... My favourite Elvis song is by Terry Stafford. I love Elvis, I grew up with Elvis (the only pop/rock record my parents possessed was an Elvis compilation) but sometimes his voice is too excalted (if that’s the right word). And comparing his version of Suspicion with Terry’s makes that clear. Stafford’s way of singing just gives meaning to the lyrics.
Check it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzY-PrwwHk

Killer Queen is, of course, a killer record. The best Queen ever made. But here it seems out of place. I am sure I also have it on a different cassette and will talk about some other time.
Only last year I learned that this nice instrumental was in fact by Andrew Lloyd Webber. That came as a shock. But it is still really good.

Next, we have Dooley Wilson singing As Time Goes By. It was a British Top 20 Hit in 1978 along with dialogue from Casablanca. So Ingrid hums it for him and then Humphrey says: „You played it for Harry, you play it for me. Play it!“ At least that’s what it sounds like to me. Great.
Rock and Roll Music is another song I cannot stand. And the Beatles do not manage to breathe some life into it.
I got you Babe, on the other hand, is a favourite. I once saw a young couple in a New York club presenting a Sony & Cher act. And they were magnificent. The way they looked at each other made me believe in true love again. And made me like the originals even more.
Del Shannon was my first singer-hero. He had an amazing voice and was able to improve the best songs. Listen to his version of Rag Doll. But Handy Man is pretty lame.
Which leaves the Animals. Very strong. And Wanda and Bobby, both okay. And last but certainly not least: Four Jacks and a Jill.
„It‘s a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack.“ It is something that I will say at appropriate times. And no one has a clue. Which just proves how strange the world is. I mean, why is this not better known? They made 12 albums. And were not even in the BEA database. A wonderful song. „You taught me all I know and I‘ll never look back.“ Nearly the best one here. Alas...

Best song: Suspicion

What a great list of songs. There's only one I don't like ( Linda Ronstadt) and there's one I don't know, (Four jacks and a Jill). I love Suspicion. Almost everybody I know thought that Terry Stafford singing Suspicion WAS Elvis. It's the best Elvis sound alike ever. Herman's Hermits ones are great. Killer Queen is the best Queen song I think. But my favorite of all these is the great X Offender.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/15/2018 14:25
  • Post subject:

Closeup by Frankie Valli

Philips-1 1975

Peter Frampton – Baby, I Love Your Way 1975
Duane Eddy – Love Confusion 1975
Billy Joel – The Entertainer 1974
Franki Valli – My Eyes Adored You 1974
Everly Brothers – All I Have To Do Is Dream 1958
Lonnie Donnegan – Puttin’ On The Style 1962
Dream Weavers – It’s Almost Tomorrow 1965
Drupi – Vado Via 1973
Elvis Presley – The Girl of My Best Friend 1960
Steeleye Span – London 1976

Showaddywaddy – Hey Rock ‘n‘ Roll 1974
Slade – Coz I Luv You 1971
Cilla Black – You're My World 1964
Elvis Presley – Loving You 1967
Mozart [Bruno Walter] – Le Nozze di Figaro Overture
Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show– Sylvia's Mother 1972
Dusty Springfield – I Only Want To Be With You 1964
Ricky Nelson – Stood Up 1958
Paul Simon – I Am A Rock 1965
Fats Domino – Blueberry Hill 1956
Jethro Tull – Bourée 1969
Jethro Tull – The Silver Cord 1973

The first song on here sounds a bit strange until I realize it is not the live version. Frampton is probably unique in being known these days almost exclusively through a live record he made.
Next is the Dark Horse in this bunch. I had no idea it was by Duane Eddy. Although the guitar sounds so very Eddy-like. But it also sounds so 70s. One of my all-time favorites. It is sad and joyful at the same time, old-fashioned and modern (70s modern that is.) I love it. (Some friends complain that I have too many all-time favorites, but it is not true. I guess not more than two or three hundred.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6ZbyLJk1U

Okay, I admit, here comes another all-time favorite. My Eyes Adored You. A brilliant song by a brilliant singer. And it means something special to me. Because, yes, there was a girl at the time that I would never dare to talk to. So she was a million miles away. And my eyes adored her. (Fun fact, the song reached No.1 on the Billboards and was replaced by Lady Marmalade, a totally different song, but written by the same team, Bob Crewe and Kenny Nolan.)
A couple of months ago I mentioned in a group of people my age Lonnie Donnegan. And no one knew him! Fading fame, I call this. Drupi on the other hand everybody (European) my age knows.
I had almost forgotten London. But is is a fine song by one of the best English bands.

Showaddywaddy went on to do some awful covers later in their career but they started out with this self-written fun-record that is dear to my heart.
I probably taped this in 1975 (with Steeleye Span a later replacement) when I was 15. 1971 was history and I was not interested in music then. But Slade, I did know. I was never a huge fan, but this is a classic.
Somehow Mozart crops up. One of the rare classical pieces we will encounter here. Not sure, this is really Bruno Walter, but it is what Shazam says. Very nearly in the same league: Stood up by Ricky Nelson. This guy was cool.

I am a Rock. I am unsure about it. First, it is the acoustic version by Paul, about a zillion times better than the S&G version. And I like it a lot. But I never knew if I should allow myself to really like the lyrics. I am a Rock. I am an Island. And a rock can feel no pain and an island never cries... And I have my poetry to protect me. This, I suspect, is a bit too direct to count as art. But it does speak directly to you. (Meaning me or the 15 years old me, in this case, of course.) And that is something that poetry is supposed to do.
Finally Jethro Tull. Another surprise. But not really bad.

Best song: Love Confusion
Yann

France

• Posted: 09/16/2018 12:38
  • Post subject: Re: High In Spirits - The Tapes of Things long gone
Liedzeit wrote:

Blue Bayou is a song I cannot stand. No idea why I taped it. Except that Roy Orbison could sing anything and it would sound great, a quality only very few singers have (Frank Sinatra comes to mind.)

I agree (but I quite like Blue Bayou).
Nice thread
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/16/2018 17:14
  • Post subject:

The Place I Love by Splinter

Karstadt-1

Alvin Stardust – You, You, You 1974
Sweet – The Six Teens 1974
Barry Menilow – Mandy 1974
Paul Anka – Diana 1967
Sparks – Something For The Girl With Everything 1975
Status Quo – Get Down 1974
Cozy Powell – Na Na Na 1974
Deep Purple – Burn 1974
Abril/ Dell'Orso – Seli 1967
Alvin Stardust – Good Love Can Never Die 1974
Paul McCartney And Wings – Junior's Farm 1974

Procol Harum – Beyond The Pale 1974
Splinter – Costafine Town 1974
Billy Swan – I Can Help 1974
Harry Chapin – Cats In The Cradle 1974
Mud – Lonely This Christmas 1974
Rattles – The Witch 1970
Suzie Quatro – Can The Can 1973
Gary Glitter – Always Yours 1974
Sparks – Amateur Hour 1974
Doris Day – Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) 1956

This is a very early cassette. From 1974. Although Something for the Girl with everything managed to smuggle itself in.
Starting off with my favorite Alvin Stardust song. I'll never find – another girl – like ... you, you you.
The Sweet was not really a boy’s group. But I liked them a lot. And this one, in particular, seemed like great art at the time.
Mandy I liked. I could not help it. It sounded like being sung for my parents. As was in reality Diana. But Diana is for all ages.
Sparks were the only band I liked so much that I put a poster on my wall. Still my favorite group. They are the true geniuses of our time. Highly respected and yet underrated. More on them maybe later.
Status Quo, Cozy Powell and Deep Purple are not really my taste. But these three songs are all great.
Seli I actually recorded with a microphone from the TV when the first and (luckily) only Perry Rhodan film was on. One of the worst films of all time. But then not that bad. I watched it again only last week. At least we have a beautiful leading lady and this crazy piece of music. I have no idea what they are singing and it does not fit for this film. Do NOT watch the film but listen to the music.
One more Stardust. A weaker one.

Everyone knows a Whiter Shade of Pale. But who knew that they went beyond that? Sorry for the pun. But it is a great song. Very good indeed. Not in a league with the next one though. Costafine Town. It was a hit at the time but I don’t think I have ever heard it on the radio since then. What a shame. George Harrison produced this little masterpiece. I found the LP a while ago on a flea market and am happy to report that the other songs on it are not bad either.
I Can Help was a monster hit. Irresistible. And this one is played even in these dark ages from time to time. And so is Cats in the Cradle. A serious song. I could make that out. It is not the problem of a 14 years old but it still meant something to me.

Next, we have another Elvis incarnation. A sad Christmas song. So beautifully sung. A house is not a home. I could cry but will wait for three months.

The Witch - undoubtedly one of the best German songs ever made. Can‘t you see? The Witch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IseoYP6oR_M

And then Suzie and Gary and the Sparks again. There is nothing wrong in liking Suzie. With Gary it is different. Maybe I will talk about him some other time.
Whatever will be, will be.

Best song: Costafine Town

Last edited by Liedzeit on 09/17/2018 14:59; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2018 17:42
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

These tapes are all gone now.

Surprisingly many of my cassettes survived. (Some barely listenable, though). So I can go on for a while. Cool

This is really cool you still have your old mixed tapes! I wish I did, even if it was only 3 or 4 of them I created.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/18/2018 20:37
  • Post subject:

Ummagumma by Pink Floyd

Agfa Red-2 1977

Alvin Stardust – Jealous Mind 1974
Beatles – All Together Now 1967
Queen – See What A Fool I’ve Been 1974
Pink Floyd – See Emily Play 1967
Peter Gabriel – Moribund the Burgermeister 1977
Stranglers – Peaches 1977
Supertramp – Lady 1975
Beach Boys – Johnny Carson 1977
Petula Clark – Downtown 1964

Big Bopper – Chantily Lace 1958
Electric Light Orchestra – Telephone Line 1976
Sweet – Love Is Like Oxygen 1978
Stranglers – Sometimes 1977
Peter Gabriel – Humdrum 1977
Pink Floyd – Sysyphus Parts 1-4 1969
Peter Gabriel – Excuse Me 1977
10cc – People in Love 1977
Crystal Gayle – Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue 1977

We find our friend Alvin Stardust with his only number one single. Not as good as some others he made but pretty good and much better than Jealous Guy if that is not a non sequitur.
The Beatles could make all kind of records. This sing-along-song is on the silly side. But just as good their serious stuff.
The range of Pink Floyd is not as wide but there is quite a difference between See Emily Play and Sysyphus. Emily is nice but Sysyphus took my breath away. Ummagumma was then one of the first LPs I bought and it is still by far my favorite Pink Floyd album.

One of the exciting things in mixtapes is that sometimes two very different songs back to back will result in something bigger than the pieces on their own. For me the bridge between Sysyphus and Peter Gabriel’s Excuse me is a magic moment. You could not create it if you tried. So during the last part of the Pink Floyd song I have Excuse me in the ear and Pink Floyd lingers on during Excuse me.

There is a funny story with Excuse me. On my first (or second?) trip to London I found the single in the middle of a street. In fact, there were dozens, if not hundreds. Just the single, no cover. A publicity stunt? Maybe someone really disliked the song. I picked up three or four but alas, they have all disappeared since then. Excuse me and Moribund are, of course, from the first solo album by Peter Gabriel. I disliked Genesis but on hearing these songs on the radio all was forgiven.

The highlight on this cassette is the introduction of Punk to my life. There were Sex Pistols I guess or groups like Eddie and the Hotrods but the Stranglers really made a difference. It was Peaches, for me, that started the Punk era. Anger and energy and humour too. And the organ. I love them. They made some bad stuff later on but the first two LPs are exceptionally great. And they would happily live alongside Supertramp.

Johnny Carson is the best thing the Beach Boys did in the 70s. I love the song. And we all love Downtown. Whereas other popular songs were destroyed by constant airplay (Hotel California comes to mind) Downtown is totally indestructible.

Not many people know the Big Bopper these days and if so then because of his untimely death. Chantily Lace is his legacy. A wiggle in the walk a giggle in the talk... Another fine song by ELO is followed by Love is like oxygen. Sweet were on the decline. This was their swan song. I reluctantly included it here. I remember this for some reason. But it is not that bad.

10cc were also in decline in 1977 after Godley and Creme had left the group. But for a while, they continued to make good songs. And People in Love I like more than the song maybe deserves.

Maybe it is apparent that I prefered British music when I taped this. I would listen to the BBC Top 20 every week for many years. And every time I checked the American charts I was amazed by its badness. And Christal Gayle was so typically American! And yet I could not help liking this.

Best song: Peaches
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/20/2018 19:15
  • Post subject:

Man To Man by Hot Chocolate

EMI-1 1976

Ritchie Valens – Bony Maronie 1958
The Kalin Twins – Forget Me Not 1958
Helen Shapiro – You Don’t Know 1961
Buddy Holly – Bo Diddley 1958
Manfred Mann's Earth Band – Waiter, There's a Yawn in My Ear 1976
Cher – Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves 1971
Cat Stevens – Wide World 1970
Cat Stevens – Morning Has Broken 1971
The Monkees – Daydream Believer 1967
Jonah Lewie – Halleluja Europa 1978

Manfred Mann – My Name Is Jack 1966
Beach Boys – It‘s Okay 1976
Harry Belafonte – Island In The Sun 1957
Del Shannon – Runaway 1961
Hot Chocolate – Sex Appeal 1976
David Bowie – Suffragette City 1972
Neil Sedaka – Stupid Cupid
Del Shannon - Do You Wanna Dance 1964
Kinks – Sunny Afternoon 1966
Cat Stevens – Another Saturday Night 1974
Georghe Zamfir – Doina de Jale 1976

Mainly Oldies on this one. Oldie even from the perspective of 1978. We have Ritchie Valens and then the Kalin Twins. Who were real twins, Herald and Herbert. "When" was the bigger hit, "Forget me not" the better song. Glorious Helen Shapiro is dear to my heart, because of the Monty Python Sketch. Where the Dead Monkeys in one of their many incarnations became Helen Shapiro "which they liked best." She could sing, too.
At the time I taped this I had no idea who Bo Diddley was. But this song gave me an idea.

Manfred Mann made a marvellous transition from Top 60s group to an even better 70s group. (And then a transition to ... boring.) Of course, there is in reality just the name that stays the same. My Name Is Jack and Yawn both excellent examples of their best endeavours.

Cher made some transitions as well, only in terms of her music. Her body refuses to age. And if she got some help, she made the right choices. Gypsys is one of her greatest songs.

Wide World is, I think my favorite Cat Stevens song. I am not so sure about the enormously more popular Morning has broken. Another Saturday Night not bad either.

Jonah Lewie is perhaps best known for his Stop the Cavalary. But this song should be the European National anthem.

For many years I would not have hesitated when asked for my favorite song: Del Shannon’s Runaway. I am not quite so sure now, but it is a brilliant song by maybe the best singer there ever was. Do you wanna dance is an example of a song that is better than the original, in my opinion. For some reason both Siri and Shazam did not recognize the song, they suggested Del’s Keep Searchin’ instead. Amazing, they are not even similar.

Hot Chocolate were very popular but not around here. No idea why. What is so difficult in recognizing and admitting their genius? Just give me one example of a better beat than there is in Sex Appeal. A magnificent song. Suffragette City comes close.

Panpipes music is the hostage of mankind. And yet, I really liked this one by Georghe Zamfir, and even today I cannot dislike it.

Best song: Runaway
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/22/2018 10:43
  • Post subject:

Die Puhdys by Die Puhdys

Agfa Red-3 1977

Maurice Chevalier – Thank Heaven For Little Girls 1957
Billy Connolly – The Welly Boot Song 1975
Bachman Turner Overdrive – Life Still Goes On (I'm Lonely) 1977
Fleetwood Mac – Man of The World 1969
Mike Krüger – Auf der Autobahn nacht um halb eins 1977
Puhdys – Wenn ein Mensch lebt 1973
Beatles – In The Tyrol: Introducing Wagner's Overture To Act III Of "Lohengrin" Beatles Style 1965
George Martin Orchestra – The Chase 1965
George Harrison - Bangla Desh 1971

Jan & Dean - Heart and Soul 1964
Eddie Cochran – Weekend 1959
Gene Chandler - Duke of Earl 1962
Bob Dylan - It’s All Over Now Baby Blue 1965
Jan & Dean – Popsicle 1966
Dave Dee, Dozy, Micky, Tick & Touch – Okay 1967
Beatles – Carry That Weight 1969
Beatles – Her Majesty 1969
Kalin Twins – When 1958
[unknown]

It is not easy these days to listen to Thank Heaven as innocently as we used too. It is still a charming little song. The Welly Boot Song is tough. I had no idea what this guy was singing about, but it still sounded so funny. Billy Connolly is the guy who gave the only sensible definition of an intellectual btw. The one who would not think of the Lone Ranger when hearing Wilhelm Tell’ overture. And I never did because I did not know the Lone Ranger in these days. But neither would I think of Wilhelm Tell. So ignorant.

Link

I told the tale of my hunting for the next one before. Easily the best BTO song. And that says something.
Fleetwood Mac is another group that managed to change their style and remain first rate. I love their old stuff. This one especially.
The next two songs you can only appreciate if you are German. The first one, of course, a parody of Reeperbahn. One of the songs I know by heart and I will sing this to myself often. "Der Kerl, der da vorn auf dem Kühler liegt, nimmt mir fast jede Sicht, ach ist auch egal, ich fahr nur nach Gehör, denn ich hab kein Licht". Very funny.
But this is nothing compared to: "Steine sammeln, Steine zerstreun" or "ich habe mich in ihren Schatten gelegt". This is even funnier. Maybe not on purpose, but maybe it is. Surely one of the best ten German songs ever made.

When I first saw Help as a kid I was very impressed by and proud of the Beatles. Hey, they could make classical music, if they wanted! Embarrassed I learned later that this was really Wagner. And yet later I learned it was not really Wagner at all. Totally amazing music. And Ken Thorne is one of the unrecognized geniuses. He was responsible for the Persuaders music. Not the theme, but everything else. Really effective.

Jan & Dean sailed in the slipstream of the Beach Boys. The two songs here are just brilliant. When I listened to this cassette yesterday I had Popsicle in my head for the rest of the day. Great pop tune.

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles Album. No doubt not in the least because of these two songs.

Best song: – Life Still Goes On (I'm Lonely)

Last edited by Liedzeit on 09/27/2018 19:45; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/23/2018 14:07
  • Post subject:
I’ve had a very long time where I was taping songs all the time:
First I taped them from a small transistor radio with likewise sound quality and radio dj’s killing the intro’s and outro’s all the time. I remember the first song I taped was Lust for Life. I still remember I had taped Hey Jude and dropped a pencil somewhere during the song: until this day when I hear that song I hear the ti-ti-ti-ting of the pencil dropping. Ottherwise I requested lots of Mud, Rubettes, Status Quo and Sweet.
Then I let me uncle do mixtapes on request because he know somebody from a record store. I remember he played one one time at a family gathering to show what weird taste I had. I was crazy about Child in Time at the time and I got two comments: it sounds like jazz (most members of my family were not exactly music connoisseurs) and why do you choose such a long song for a mixtape: you could have chosen 3 shorter songs instead.
And then came me teenage years and I used to tape lots of full LP’s from friends: lots of Pink Floyd, Cure and Scorpions. I even started buying albums on cassettes but mainly compilations of ex surf music (also with lots of Jan and Dean) or hardrock.
I regret it a bit that I threw away my cassettes when the sound quality started to deteriorate but I still have fine memories about that period when I would ex rewind a song all the time to write down the lyrics.
  • Visit poster's website