Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 11/19/2018 22:22
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I like this blog:

Thank you for your kind words. (Yeah, Lucy was horrible! But I liked the fake Elvis sound of Mud.)
I find it so fascinating to go back in time 45 years to a younger self. And sometimes I am right back and seem to remember exactly how I felt when I listened to these songs. And sometimes as with the Styx song it feels like the guy who taped it was a complete stranger.
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 11/22/2018 20:05
  • Post subject:

Comes A Time by Neil Young

Agfa Blue-2 1978

Cliff Richard And The Shadows – Travellin’ Light 1959
The Cyrkle – Red Rubber Ball 1966
[unknown] Reggae
Van der Graaf Generator – Last Frame 1977
Mamas & Papas – California Dreaming 1965
Pink Floyd – Money 1973
Anita Garbo – Mean Mean Man 1977
Tyrannosaurus Rex – Debora 1968

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967
Beatles – With A Little Help From My Friends 1967
Talking Heads - Take Me To The River 1978
Steel Pulse – Handsworth Revolution 1978
Dillinger – Buckingham Palace 1976
Neil Young – Goin’ Back 1978
Neil Young – Comes A Time 1978
Neil Young – Look Out For My Love 1978

The last cassette was my first one. This one might be the last one. The last of my colored period. In 1978 I started to tape with a tape recorder. (And I do not have one anymore and nearly all the tapes are lost, anyway.) In the 90s I started using a cassette recorder again but mainly to tape John Peel Shows.
I’m surprised how many Cliff Richard songs I liked. He might be a bit underrated these days.
Red Rubber Ball is another one of the make-me-happy songs. The morning sun is shining like a red rubber ball. I could have sworn the group’s name was "Cyrcles" but apparently, I was wrong.
In 1977 Punk started, Van der Graaf was not Punk but they certainly boldy went into a new direction. And they were all alone. A unique group and Last Frame is the best they did. "Yes, my hobby keeps me busy."
California Dreaming is nearly as good as Red Rubber Ball but, of course, a million times more popular. All through the 70s and 80s whenever there was something on TV on economics they would inevitably play Money in the background. That all but destroyed my pleasure in the song.
Anita makes another appearance. Did I mention that I liked her?
Debora would perhaps not immediately be recognized as a T.Rex song. And it is not really. A little gem.

A bit of Beatles. And I said it before, no one comes close to Ringo when it comes to singing. (And certainly not Mr. Cocker.)
The following songs I almost certainly taped from Alan Bang’s Night Flight show. Alan Bang’s was the greatest Radio DJ ever. (Sorry, John!) He would gently direct me into new directions. Night Flight was amazing. What a shame that they kicked him out. I wish I could have continued listening to him these last 30 years. (It must be said that when he did return to the radio occasionally he was not up to his standards anymore.)
I did not know that Take me to the River was a cover for a long time. What a great track. Maybe it is the best cover ever made. One thing Alan did, he made me appreciate Neil Young. And Comes a Time is still my favorite of his albums. Comes a time when you’re drifting comes a time when you settle down. Sounds corny, but the way he sings it, it is not. To decide for best song is really hard this time. But I go for this one...

Best song: Last Frame

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 11/28/2018 20:40
  • Post subject:

Morin Heights by Pilot

Agfa-120 1977

Four Seasons – Silver Star 1976
Dolly Parton – Joeline 1973
Love – Alone Again Or 1967
Frank Zappa – Who Are The Brain Police? 1966
Velvet Underground – Waiting For My Man 1967
John Denver – Cool And Green And Shady 1974
East Of Eden – Jig-A-Jig 1971
Glitter Band – Don't Make Promises (You Can't Keep) 1976
Pilot – Too Many Hopes 1976
Betty Hutton & Howard Keel – Anything You Can Do 1950
Beatles – Got To Get You Into My Life 1966

Goblin – Profondo Rosso 1975
Gilbert O'Sullivan – Doing What I Know 1977
Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - The Night 1975
Danny & The Juniors – At The Hop 1957
Diamonds – Little Darlin 1957
Janis Ian – Stars 1974
Janis Ian – Applause 1974
Steeleye Span – Lovely On The Water 1971
Royal Guardsmen – Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron 1967

This, I think, was the only C120 cassette I ever bought. I am glad. Because it did not really survive. I had to cut away a lot of good stuff. I remember there was Supertramp’s Babaji on it. And some really good stuff, where I had no idea who was singing. Anyway, what survived is this.
A beautiful song by the Four Seasons. If you need to listen to Disco, you are much better off with Four Seasons than Bee Gees. The Night, even better.
Dolly Parton makes an unexpected entry. It was on the radio constantly and finally, I was brainwashed into taping it. Talking of Brains. Who are the Brain Police? I would have sworn that I did never listen to any Frank Zappa. But obviously, I was wrong. I had forgotten this one. And it is quite good, too. Not quite in a league with VU, of course. The song by John Denver I had also forgotten. A very good one, too. It helps if you like John Denver.
East of Eden. Not what I call a gloriously inspired Band name. But a nice song. The Glitter Band, some people will probably call a guilty pleasure, if at all. I really liked them. Saw them once with Sweet and they were not bad at all. Pilot, I talked about before. What a great band.
Anything you can do I can do better. No, you can’t. Yes, I can. The greatest duett of all time. Maybe. (I shall make a useful list one of these days.)
When Dallas was the TV show everybody was watching it gave me much pleasure knowing I was probably the only one in my hometown knowing that Howard Keel used to be a great singer. Got To Get You Into My Life is for me a unique Beatles song. Somehow in growing up all their popular songs were somehow unconsciously absorbed. But this was an exception. I remember consciously when I first heard this one. It was like it was released just then. And a great song, even among Beatles songs.

Profondo Rosso is an instrumental that sounds as if you have known it forever. Someone said that Carpenter was inspired for by it for the Halloween soundtrack. Right. And many others. Or they by them. Like the John Denver song, this one by Gilbert is not well known. (Meaning I did not remember it.) Good. There was good music in the 50s. And if you need proof, listen to Danny and the Diamonds. I love those songs. In fact, I would gladly give up everything released after 1982 for these two songs. Janis Ian singing about stars. And at least she can be sure of my applause. Steeleye Span could do no wrong. Get a good singer and good arrangement and the songs do not matter. Or, so it seems. Finally, we have another novelty song. With German lyrics at the beginning. The Red Baron was one of the few soldiers Germans do not feel guilty about. But he was no match for Snoopy, of course.
I am tempted to vote for Anything you can do, but I guess I have to say:

Best song: Waiting For My Man

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 12/07/2018 09:46
  • Post subject:

Below The Salt by Steeleye Span

Agfa 1975

The Chieftains – Drowsy Maggie 1973
Santo & Johny – Sleep Walk 1959
John Denver – Fly Away 1975
Showaddywaddy – Heavenly 1975
Elvis Presley – Don’t Be Cruel 1956
Johnnie Ray – Yes Tonight, Josephine 1957
Graham Bell, Steve Winwood, Maggie Bell, Roger Daltry – 1921 1972
Pete Townsend – Amazing Journey 1972
London Symphony Orchestra – Sparks 1972
Steeleye Span – Spotted Cow 1972
Steeleye Span – Rosebud in June 1972

Del Shannon – Runaway 1961
Brenda Lee – I Want To Be Wanted 1960
Gene Pitney – I Want To Live My Life Away 1962
Jimmy Jones – Good Timin 1960
Abba – I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do 1975
Beach Boys – Surfin’ 1962
Hank Snow – Anniversary Blue Yodel 1953
Terry Gilkyson And The Easy Riders – Goodbye Chiquita 1957
Mud – Oh, Boy 1975
Andy Kim – Baby, I Love You 1975
[unknown]
Herman’s Hermits – No Milk Today 1967

Some really nice 50s and 60s songs and some fake Oldies here. But we start with some crazy fiddling by the Chieftains.
Sleep Walk is an instrumental that demonstrates how to play the Steel Guitar. Inspiration, Wikipedia says, for Albatros.
Does not seem unlikely. Fly Away, a song you can only like if you really are a John Denver guy. Heavenly is the first of the fake oldies and the one that I like least. In fact, not at all. Mud’s Oh Boy, on the other hand, I still love, and actually prefer to the original. I Do from Abba I am unsure about. Is it a parody? Anyway, probably my favorite Abba song, after Waterloo. And then we have Andy Kim’s version of Baby, I love you. Again, I like it better than the original. But am very aware, that it is in fact inferior. Now to the real stuff: Elvis and Johnnie Ray and Brenda. Del, Gene, and Jimmy Jones. All of them excellent.
It is very easy to dismiss the "Opera" stuff of Who. (John Peel did.) But I still think it was a brave thing to do. And I like Sparks best.
Steeleye Span, as I said before, could do no wrong. Then we have two incredibly good songs that I file away under novelty songs although they were maybe meant seriously at the time. I am not sure. Some American yodeling by Hank Snow and a cowboy song by Terry Gilkyson. Actually, a B-side. (The A-side is quite bad.)
Which leaves another classic by the Beach Boys and the biggest hit by Herman’s Hermits. It certainly is the song that is still played very often on German radio. The lactose intolerant song, as some wise guy said.
Best song would be Runaway but I had this before, I think. So, why not the next best...

Best song: Baby, I Love You

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 12/15/2018 14:04
  • Post subject:

Paradise Lost by The Herd (UK)

Philips-3 1976

The New Christy Minstrels – Green Green 1963
Dusty Springfield – You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 1966
Herd - Paradise Lost 1968
Jeronimo – Heya 1970
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band – Questions 1976
Mud – Lean On Me 1976
Mike Oldfield – Portsmouth 1976
Chis Hill – Bionic Santa 1976
Kursaal Flyers – Little Does She Know 1976
Queen – Somebody To Love 1976

Brenda Lee – Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree 1962
John Denver – Please, Daddy (Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas) 1973
Slade – Merry Xmas 1973
Greg Lake – I Believe In Father Christmas 1975
Ronettes – Sleigh Ride 1963
Gilbert O‘Sullivan – I’m Not Dreaming Of A White Christmas 1972
Bing Crosby – The Little Drummer Boy 1962
Elton John – Ho! Ho! Ho! (Who'd Be A Turkey At Christmas) 1973
10cc – The Things We Do For Love 1976
Steeleye Span – Cadwith Anthem 1975

The New Christy Minstrels? Meant nothing to me. An okay Folk/Country song. But members included Gene Clark, Barry McGuire, Kenny Rogers and Jerry Yester (later with Lovin’ Spoonful). This is followed by the best song of Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien. Herd, I just learned, was the band a very young Peter Frampton joined. Great song. I am not so sure about Heya. You probably need to be dead drunk or high to enjoy it. Whereas Questions is just a beautiful song. From the magnificent Roaring Silence album. Lean on me in the version of Mud is not for everyone. You need to have a feeling for the subtleties of music to prefer this to Bill Withers. Interesting, that I included Mike Oldfield. Maybe I did not know it was from him, because he was one of the despised ones. Then we have a novelty Chrismas song. Not as good as Jaws but I liked it a lot. Especially "Who could perform such an operation? - Dr. Kiss Kiss" And Mr. Callaghan is saying to Mrs. Thatcher. "Oh Maggy, I wish I had never seen your face". Who remembers the Kursaal Flyers? Great band name. The song? The kind of song I liked at the time against my better judgment.

And now for some (more) Christmas songs. My favorite the one by Slade. But the others all great. Even Greg Lake. The lyrics of Gilbert’s song are stupid, but I do like the song anyway. Strange to listen to Bing, because you always expect David to sing along. (And the version with David is much better, I have to admit). Elton John provides us with another novelty Christmas song. A very relaxed one. 10cc and Queen do not really fit in. And another, although comparatively weaker, song by Steeleye Span.

Best song: Merry Xmas

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 12/19/2018 08:20
  • Post subject:
Agfa Purple-4 1981

Bruce Springsteen – Wreck 1980
Cego Aderaldo – Naná Vasconcelos – 1980
Horslips – The Shamrock Shore 1972
[unknown]
Japan – Ghosts 1981

This one is out of competition. I only include it because I spent more than an hour repairing it. Turns out, it was probably taped by my brother. Although this is also unlikely. Very strange. More than half of the cassette is empty. And then someone is reading a science fiction piece. Maybe even I am. And very badly.

As for the songs. In 1980 I still listened to Bruce Springsteen. But this one, I am sure, I have never heard before.
Cego Aderaldo? It is not bad, but nothing I would listen to without being forced to it. Horselips. That is something I might have taped. And surely the excellent Ghosts. And there is even a bit of Tommy Vance. So it comes out of the Top 20, a show my brother would not listen to. I think.

A mystery.
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 12/22/2018 12:35
  • Post subject:

Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart

Agfa Red-7 1977

Al Stewart – On The Border 1976
Al Stewart – One Stage Before 1976
Electric Light Orchestra – Old English Town 1973
Electric Light Orchestra – Showdown 1973
Herman’s Hermits – Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat 1965
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich – Save Me 1966
Genesis – Match of the day 1977
Foreigner – Cold As Ice 1977
Jimmi Hendrix Experience – Wild Thing [Monteray] 1967

Donovan – Jeniffer Juniper 1968
Jan and Dean – Two Girls For Every Boy 1964
Johnny & The Hurricanes – Beatnik Fly 1959
Roy Orbison – Running Scared 1962
Rolling Stones – Heart Of Stone 1964
Eddie & The Hot Rods – Horseplay 1976
Johnny Moped – Hard Lovin Man 1977
Bill Oddie – Harry Krishna 1970
The Red Clay Ramblers – Blue Jay/The Girl I Left Behind 1976
Pilot – Get Up And Go 1977
Nite City – Bitter Sky Blue 1977
Everly Brothers – That’s Old Fashioned 1961

This cassette is especially dear to my heart. In 1977 Pop music seemed to be at a dead end, but punk had come to rescue. Or so it seemed. Match of the Day and Cold as Ice were perfect pop songs. Even after listening for hundreds of times I do not get tired of them. But at the same time, you can see that they were a bit too perfect. Songs that sound like an AI had created them to please the crowd. They have an unreal feeling. The same is true for Bitter Sky Blue. A beautiful song by the group that Ray Manzarek had formed after the Doors. Why was Cold as Ice a monster hit and nobody has ever heard of Bitter Sky Blue? Well, probably not nobody. But I had to ask Shazam. Get up and go has a bubblegum innocence that I find very pleasing. But I would understand if people find all these songs annoying. It is hard to believe that Horseplay and Hard Lovin Man were made roughly at the same time. Horseplay is great, Hard Lovin Man is a different category altogether. To me the epitome of punk music. This has everything that made punk such a relief. Including the annoying bit. Only it was meant to be annoying if you see what I mean. Everyone who thinks that the Ramones made punk should listen to this one!
What else do we have? The decadent, or melancholic, in any case, wonderful Al Stewart. Electric Light Orchestra before they softened down. Jimmi with his own version of punk. The magnificent Running Scared. Jean and Dean who were at times the better Beach Boys as with this one. Donovan singing about Jennifer Juniper. I remember a quiz show on the radio with the question: Who was the other Jennifer that a song was written about with the full name as a title? Beatnik Fly is the only rather weak song in this collection. Still quite good. This leaves a bit of folk music by the Red Clay Ramblers and another incredible novelty song. Harry Krishna. The title alone is great. And coming just after Johnny Moped the effect is amazing. Released on Dandelion Records. And there is John Peel on it!

Best song: Hard Lovin Man

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 12/28/2018 12:55
  • Post subject:

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison

Agfa Red-8 1975

John Lennon – Bring On The Lucie (Freda Peeple) 1973
Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour 1967
Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps 1968
Beatles – Back In The USSR 1968
Beatles – Lady Madonna 1968
Wings – Live And Let Die 1973
Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney – Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey 1973
Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney – Monkberry Moon Delight 1971
Beatles – Blackbird 1968
Showwaddywaddy – Three Steps To Heaven 1975

Beatles – Help 1965
John Lennon – Working Class Hero 1970
Beatles – A Day In The Life 1967
John Lennon – Mother 1970
John Lennon – God 1970
John Lennon – Imagine 1971
John Lennon – Remember 1970
George Harrison – All Things Must Pass 1970
Beatles – Yesterday 1965
George Harrison – My Sweet Lord 1970
George Harrison – Isn’t It A Pity 1970
Beatles – Love Me Do 1963
Ringo Starr – Blindman 1972
Ringo Starr – I Am The Greatest 1973

This is obviously a special cassette. It is a radio feature on the Beatles in four parts. Probably about 20 minutes for every Beatle. It was part of the WDR-2 Samstags-Radiothek. (Or Friday?) I crammed it all on one cassette. Something is missing, unfortunately. How I would love to hear the complete show in good quality again. But the gist is there. A lot of music but interesting facts about the Fab Four. The Beatles were spoken by German actors, of course. John by Christan Brückner. "Nehmt uns Rom nicht weg, unser tragbares Rom, wo wir alle unsere Häuser haben können, unsere Parties Drinks und Drogen." We hear George practicing the guitar. Ringo as the star of a Quiz show. "Am linken Finger der linken Hand... " Paul complaning that everythings depends on him, threatening to abondon the Beatles. "Ich hab diesen Scheißladen satt. Voll von gichtigen Arschlöschern, die von Mukik einen Scheiß verstehen, und von unserer Musik nocht nicht mal Scheiß." And we get the Beatle in "New York - Beatles - City" The famous interview. In German. "Wird Ringo heiraten, hat Paul sich verlobt, denkt John an Scheidung, mag George überhaupt Mädchen, direkt unmittelbar und live?"
Really sensational. All-guy-complains-alert: Not only do they not music like this, they also do not do radio features like this.
There is not much to say about the music. Everything excellent of course. I especially like Monkberry Moon Delight.

Do not ask me how Showaddywaddy came to be included here. But I love the song and am tempted to declare it best song. I remember hearing it for a complete afternoon, reading Flash Gordon Comics. But, still...

Best song: Working Class Hero

Last edited by Liedzeit on 01/12/2019 12:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 01/03/2019 13:36
  • Post subject:

Elvis Is Back! by Elvis Presley

Star-2 1975

Andy Kim – Fire, Baby I Want Fire 1974
Ringo Starr – Only You 1974
Queen – Killer Queen 1974
Eddie Holman – Hey There Lonely Girl 1969
Pilot – Magic 1974
[unknown] – Humpty Dumpty
Slade – Far Far Away 1974
Sparks – Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 1974
Barry Blue – Hot Shot 1974

Rubettes – Juke Box Jive 1975
Glitter Band – Let’s Get Together Again 1975
Elvis Presley – Promised Land 1975
Hello – Games Up 1975
Elvis Presley – Such A Night 1969
Elton John – Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds 1975
Yes – Roundabout 1971
Melanie – Ruby Tuesday 1970

Andy Kim co-wrote Sugar, Sugar. But I never held this against him. To me, he is one of the giants of Rock. Probably best known for Rock Me Gently, but it is this song I like best. "What we're doing just can't be wrong." People say Ringo had his limitations as a singer. I do not deny it. But it is impossible to do a better version of Only you. I can never make up my mind which one I prefer, Bohemian or Killer Queen. Today I feel like announcing that Killer is the best Queen ever did. And the lyrics to me are even less comprehensible. For some reason, I thought that Lonely Girl was by the Stylistics. No, and I should have known. I do like "meaningless songs in very high voices". When Magic came out I was sure to be witnessing the birth of the next supergroup. Pilot were quite big. But they should have been at the top. Next is a brilliant parody of rock songs. Glitter, Brian Ferry, Cockney Rebel, Cliff Richard. I wish I could track down this piece of music.
Now, that Christmas time is over, Merry Xmas moves into second place and Far Far Away takes the lead position again as best Slade song. And one of the 10 best songs ever. There might be better lyrics but if so, they are unknown to me.
The Sparks are my all-time favorite band. By far. I might have mentioned it. And this is such a beautiful track. Again high voice. And the lyrics at least give the illusion of being very meaningful. Next to Space Oddity and before 20000 Light years the best SF song. Barry Blue is probably not known to many people these days. He made a career out of imitating Gary Glitter and this does not get you a place in rock history. But this one, the least successful of his singles is by far his best and worth listening to. If you like crazy 70ies glam.

Juke Box Jive was the monster hit of 1975. And in fact responsible for the sad fact, that the Sparks never made it to the #1 spot in the Top 20. This is something I cannot forgive them. But it is such a nice song. High voices? Sure. And I always liked the name of the singer: Paul Da Vinci. (Reminds me of a singer I once met who chose Sam Camus as a stage name. Does anyone know what became of him?) The Glitter Band had a couple of hits on their own. Okay, this one is maybe a little bit too much of a little-kids-sing-along song, but I like it. Just like Elvis who takes us to the promised land. A good song, but not as good as Such a night. Hello were another teeny band. I assume I would not like it if they released the song today. But as it is, I love it.
I said it before, Elton John could not do wrong in 1975. (And now he is one of the most pathetic cases of genius gone embarrassingly bad.) I prefer this version to the original. I know, everything released in 74/75 automatically gets an extra bonus in my head. Wonderful stuff. They did make good records even before 74. Yes and Melanie (with another better-than-the-original-song) here to prove it. I did not know, I ever listened to Yes at the time. Apparently, I did.

Best song: Far Far Away

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 01/12/2019 13:20
  • Post subject:

The Rising Of The Moon: Irish Songs Of ...ommy Makem

Agfa Red-9 1976

Die Metropol Vocalisten – Das Fräulein Gerda 1938
[Hans Rehmstedt mit seinem Orchester – In Lamberts Nachtlokal 1938]
Lecuona Cuban Boys – Rumba Tambah 1935
Willy Berking und sein Spitzenorchester – Die Männer sind schon der Liebe wert 1940
Rudi Schuricke – Lass die Frau die dich liebt niemals weinen 1938
Marilyn Monroe – River Of No Return 1954
Leo Sayer – The Show Must Go On 1973
[unknown] – The New Beginning
Don McLean – Vincent 1971

Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show – Cover Of The Rolling Stone 1973
Bobby Vee – Take Good Care Of My Baby 1962
Sailor – Glass Of Champagne 1976
David Essex – If I Could 1975
Sailor – Girls, Girls, Girls 1976
Beatles – Let It Be 1970
Duane Eddy – Mark of Zorro 1975
Billy Joel – Piano Man 1973
The Clancey Brothers & Tommy Makem – The Men From The West
The Clancey Brothers & Tommy Makem – Nell Flaherty’s Drake

Here I have a couple of very old German Swing songs. (And one Latin.) I wonder why you never hear these on the Radio anymore. Why is it that people were crazy about Swing and 80 years later it sounds to most people boring. At least I assume that that is the case. Strange, because all of them included here are very good and really funny. Die Männer sind schon der Liebe wert, wer nicht so denkt, denkt bestimmt verkehrt. Tongue in cheek, of course. Lamberts Nachtlokal is the German version of Lambeth‘s walk, and I do not think that the song on the cassette is really Hans Rehmstedt. But if not, it is very close. Anyway, these are the only Swing songs in my collection, so I am just as ignorant as the rest of the world. Marilyn Monroe is more or less ignored as a singer. She appears in only 3 charts on BEA, (two by me). Another mystery to me. I think she was great. You cannot get much better performances than her singing River of no Return. And it is one of the songs I do sing very happily. No return, no return, no return...
Leo, I think, I have praised enough. And probably Don McLean as well. I read recently that he still makes $300,000 every year with American Pie. Not bad, and he did have this other song that is (very nearly) as good. And totally different.

The Cover of the Rolling Stone I liked very much at the time although I had no idea what they were singing about. Except that Elvis was a hero and Paul McCartney drives a Rolles Royce car. There is a funny German version of the song by Mike Krüger who wants to appear on the Cover of a Rolling Stones album. There was no magazine at the time in Germany. Next, we have another Lost Love song. "And if you should discover that you don't really love her
just send my baby back home to me". Glass of Champagne and Girls were the great hits of Sailor. I think they were much more popular in Germany than anywhere else (a good indicator, the length of the Wikipedia entry), and in this case, I am inclined to think that it is not because Germans, in general, have poorer musical taste. Just like Leo Sayer, David Essex used to be very popular. Now, he is loved only by old guys like myself. Whereas the Beatles... Let it be. I never really liked the song. Mark of Zorro is from 1975! Like John Peel used to ask: Why are there no more twangy guitars? Sing us a song he sings and it sounds like singasasong. And he is still considered great by many. And that leaves the wonderful Tommy Makem. Two very excellent songs. And like with the Swing stuff I wonder why I did not become really addicted to Irish Folk music. Instead, I am a boring 70ies mainstream man.

Best song: River Of No Return

Link