Reinhard Mey – Komm, Gieß’ mein Glas noch einmal ein
Reinhard Mey – Susann
Reinhard Mey – Musikanten sind in der Stadt
Reinhard Mey – Über den Wolken
Reinhard Mey – Heute noch
Reinhard Mey – Der alte Bär ist tot und sein Käfig leer
Reinhard Mey – Mädchen in den Schänken
Billy Joel – Piano Man

Listening to this again very nearly makes me cry. It is so utterly wonderful. A live recording taped from WDR II.
It is in my opinion the best Reinhard Mey ever made. I do own his live recordings and they are not bad, but do not touch this one. Of course, I know the main reason is that I was 14 when I listened to this hundreds and hundred of times...
For those who do not know Mey, he is what was at the time known as a Liedermacher. One should think that would be a singer-songwriter. But it something different. Something less and something much more.
Now, the Germans would know what I mean, and to the others I cannot explain it. So I will not say much about this. Except that all his best songs are here. Culminating in Über den Wolken. And the sad thing is from then on he would never come close to the quality reached here. It is just the man and his guitar. And everything in addition, certainly in his case, is bad.

Best song: Komm, gieß mein Glas noch einmal ein

I cannot find old enough youtube videos. So you have to take my word for it that he was great in 1974.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 01/19/2019 20:42
  • Post subject:
Als de Dag Van Toen (the Dutch translation of Wie Vor Jahr Und Tag) was a big hit in Belgium and Holland and since I liked the song I should maybe check out a few other songs that you mention here.

Germany wasn't the only country where Sailor were big: also here we were singing along Girls Girls Girls and Glass of Champaign.
And I was in love with Sugar Baby Love and wasn't too keen on the Sparks so I'm glad the Rubettes won Wink
Most of the other stuff you mention brings up good memories with this Belgian guy who used to watch Dutch pop shows.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 01/26/2019 11:56
  • Post subject:

Marquee Moon by Television

Agfa Blue-3 1978

Television – Venus de Milo 1977
Television – Elevation 1977
Television – Guiding Light 1977
Television – Friction 1977
Television – Marquee Moon 1977

John Fahey – Sail Away Ladies 1966
Siren – Some Dark Day 1971
[unknown]
Steeleye Span – The Mooncoin Jig 1974
Barry Manilow – Copacabana (At The Copa) 1978
Fleetwood Mac – When You Say 1969
Velvet Underground – Some Kinda Love 1969
Poet And The Roots – Five Nights Of Bleeding 1978

"Good Evening. Television one of New York’s Premier Bands has broken up." With this Alan Bangs began one of his Night Flights. And for some reason, I chose to record not only the music but also his reflections on the band. For Alan Bangs, the best of all DJs, (as I am sure I mentioned before) it seemed a very personal matter. Well, for one thing, to say that he looked very much like Tom Verlaine would be an understatement. Anyway, the way he talked you would think, the greatest imaginable tragedy had occurred. I learned a lot of very useful things, e.g. that Tom had been working at The Strand, just like Patti Smith. And the music? Sometimes I sort of forget that there was more to Marquee Moon than Marquee Moon. Excellent stuff.
John Fahey was one of the heroes of Bangs. And, of course, I totally agree. Siren was the Band that first introduced Kevin Coyne to the World. And they were on Dandelion Records, John Peel’s label. "They say that women are made of bliss all lips and eyes to flash all ears of gold and perfect beauty showing. It's all trash." --- "And some dark day they're going to find they're lying".
Another beautiful song by Steeleye Span is followed by the odd man out: Barry Manilow. I can’t help it, I still find this great. If there is one reason for me wanting to visit Brasil, it is this song. (I assume this was not on the Bang’s program.) Not a bad year 1969 with Fleetwood Mac and Velvet Underground to prove it. Finally a reggae gem by the poet, i.e. Linton Kwesi Johnson.

Best song: Marquee Moon

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 02/03/2019 12:32
  • Post subject:

The Whole Wide World by Wreckless Eric

BASF Grey 1977

Stan Freiberg – Heartbreak Hotel 1956
Mark & Clark Band – Worn Down Piano 1977
The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band – The Floral Dance 1977
Everly Brothers – Silent Treatment 1977
Pink Floyd – Astronomy Domine 1967
Rod Stewart – I Was Only Joking 1977
Otis Redding – (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay 1967
David Bowie – Sons Of The Silent Age 1977

Horselips – Shamrock Shore 1972
Elvis Costello – Watching The Detectives 1977
Wreckless Eric – Whole Wide World 1977
Joan Baez – Kumbaja 1962
Ella Mae Morse – The Blacksmith Blues 1952
Elvis Presley – His Latest Flame (Marie’s The Name) 1961
Paul McCartney and Wings – Jet 1974

This is a cannibalized cassette. Took one on my father’s cassettes (with some Heino on it but otherwise really bad) and put in what remained of one of my old cassettes. Have not heard this one for probably at least 30 years.
Ever felt like doing a parody of Heartbreak Hotel? The result would probably something like Stan Freiberg’s version. Very nice, but a bit too obvious maybe. The Worn Down Piano I had here before. You can see, I really must have liked the song. When this tune started, my heart stopped beating for a moment, because I thought I might have resurrected one of the most beloved songs of all time. But sadly, no. You see, there was a song sung by the DJs of BFBS (among them Richard Nankivell) to this tune under the Name Beergut 100. The lyrics were "Crystal Gayle and the Sound of Queen Billy Paul and the music machine, Debbie Boone and Village People". (Why is it impossible to find this? Isn’t there a law that says that you have to find everything on the Internet that you remember from your youth?) It was only the original. Great one. Silent Treatment was released in 77 but instantly recognizable as a song from the 50s. A beautiful typical Everly Brothers song. Not much to say about Pink Floyd and Otis. It is impossible not to love these songs. I do wonder, why it is that I had such a soft spot for Rod Stewart. Bowie, of course, is a hero. This song, though, not one of his better ones.
Next, we have a bit of Irish Music again. The best thing Elvis Costello ever did was Watching the Detectives. To me, it was the sound of a new era. With Elvis Presley, things are less clear, but I could argue, that Flame is his best song. The singing in Whole Wide World is a bit annoying, but what a record. There’s only one girl in the world for me and she probably lives in Tahiti. The soundtrack for a lonely young man in the mid-seventies. If you dislike Joan Baez it is probably because of this song. I will not make excuses. The Blacksmith Blues is the hidden gem in this collection. There was music before Rock 'n' Roll. And finally Paul. With the only bits of lyrics that made sense right at the beginning: I can almost remember their funny faces.

Best Song: Astronomy Domine (or is it Dock?)

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 02/15/2019 13:40
  • Post subject:

I Ain't Marching Anymore by Phil Ochs

Cheap-1 - 1977

[unknown] The Bold Grenadier / To Hear the Nightingale Sing
[unknown] (Folk) – Duke Street Jail [?]
[unknown] (Folk)
Strawberry Hill Boys – Higher Germanie
Strawberry Hill Boys – The Grey Hawk
Ralph McTell – Streets of London 1974
[unknown]
[unknown] – Captain Mallard Horn Pipe [?]
Phil Ochs – I Ain’t Marching Anymore 1965
Atties [?] – unknown
Atties [?] – unknown
Atties [?] – Yellow Gals [?]

[unknown] - Cigarettes And Whisky
[unknown] Instrumental
[unknown] Instrumental
[unknown] Instrumental
[unknown] Instrumental
The Albion Country Band – Morris Medley 1976
Jesse Winchester – Mississipi Is On My Mind 1977
[unknown] Instrumental
[unknown] Instrumental (Valerina)
John Denver – This Old Guitar 1974
Johnny Cash – One Piece At A Time 1976
Luke Kelly – The Thirty Foot Trailer 1976

Shazam and Siri are not of much help here. I get no results or very silly ones. (Like Ferry Corsten & Paul Oakenfold – A Slice Of Heaven for the one after Cigarettes and Whiskey). Okay, on the first side there are live recordings from the London Folk cellar. Not sure, if Streets of London is from the session. It is a live recording but does not really fit the other ones. And Phil Ochs does definitely not belong to the London Folk scene. I love all the songs and somehow it is quite nice that most of the songs remain unknown. One of the instrumentals is a piece that I call Valerina because that is what the Jew’s harp (I never knew that that is what you call a Maultrommel) seem to sing. The best-known songs are John Denver’s and the one by Johnny Cash. I do think it is wrong to steal. Even if it is only one piece at a time. But this is probably my favorite Johnny Cash song. (And my wife hates it.)

Best song: I Ain’t Marching Anymore

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 02/22/2019 10:14
  • Post subject:

Radschläge by Schobert & Black

Philips Blue 1976

Status Quo – Rain
[unnown]
[unnown] – I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground
[unnown]
Pete Seeger – Wimoweh
Pete Seeger – Deep blue Sea 1961(?)
Pete Seeger – If I Had A Hammer
Pete Seeger – Brandy Leave Me Alone
Pete Seeger – unknown
Boby Dylan & Pete Seeger – Playboys and Playgirls 1963
Tom Paxton – The Willing Conscript 1965
Tom Paxton – Ramblin’ Boy 1964
[unknown]
Billie Joe Spears – What I’ve Got In Mind 1976
Schobert & Black – Der Gastarbeiter 1976

Steeley Span – Hard Times Of Old England 1975
Elton John – Daniel 1973
Eric Burdon & The Animals – Ring Of Fire 1968
George Harrison – What Is Life? 1970
Gary Glitter – Rock and Roll Part 2 1972
Gilbert O'Sullivan – Get Down 1973
Carole King – It Might As Well Rain Until September 1962
Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains – Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto De Aranjuez 1976
Slade – Lets Call It Quits 1976
John Miles – Music 1976
Harpo – Movie Star 1975
Mud – The Cat Crept In 1974

The first one is easy. A classic by Status Quo. And probably my favorite Rain-song. It is even better than Carole King’s. Which says a lot. Then a couple of Folk songs that I could not identify. Pete Seeger comes next, from some concert. At one time he stops playing ("The banjo just isn’t the right instrument") and starts hammering.
Playboys and Playgirls is a true gem. I cannot hear much of Pete. But somehow I like it better than most Dylan songs. The Willing Conscript is a very important song for me because I tried very hard to understand the lyrics and I remember the moment (well, it feels like I can remember) when the meaning of the word "draftie" became clear. (How could we even live in the pre-internet days?) A prime example of irony. Somehow though, it is Ramblin Boy that I keep humming since I listened to this cassette again. Billie Joe Spears? I would have thought, I could not have taped something by her. But here it is. And it is quite a nice country song. "Ludwig Auflauf war Dreher by Engel & Co." One of the last truly great songs Schobert & Black made.

Why do I not have more records by Steeleye Span (I Think I have only 3 or 4) when I liked their music so much? Just before he became the biggest star in the world Elton John sings about Daniel. Funny how the thought that there could be homosexual connotations in this song never even occurred to me. Did I say that I liked One piece at a time best of all Cash songs? Well, there is Ring Of Fire. But the Animals knew what they were doing when they did their version.
How could George Harrison put so many great songs into one Album? Rock and Roll Part 1 is excellent. But as everyone knows part 2 is even better. It has aged a bit. And it is not easy to listen to it for reasons that have nothing to do with its intrinsic value. I liked Gilbert O'Sullivan a lot and I am toying with the idea of going to one of his concerts next month. Let's see. Manuel & The Music Of The Mountains had a monster hit with Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto. It is quite horrible actually. But I can see what appealed to people (and me) at the time. 1n 1976 Slade were all but dead. It is ironic that they made a mini-comeback with a song called "Lets Call It Quits". And they would still come back a couple of times till finally accepting that they descended into an Oldies Band. Music is a bit like the Rodrigo’s Concerto. I had my reservations even at the time. Very kitschy. But somehow I still liked it.

Best song: What Is Life?

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 03/03/2019 19:01
  • Post subject:

Friends by The Beach Boys

Cheap-3

Guy Mitchell – Singing The Blues 1956
Elvis Presley – Wear My Ring Around Your Neck 1958
Paul Anka – Lonely Boy 1959
Sensations – Let Me In 1962
Beach Boys – Surfin USA 1963
Drifters – Under The Boardwalk 1962
The Mamas and the Papas – Monday Monday 1966
Monkees – I’m A Believer 1967
Deep Purple – Hush 1968
Showaddywaddy – Three Steps To Heaven 1975
Benny Goodman – Stompin’ At The Savoy 1950

Beach Boys – God Only Knows 1966
Beach Boys – Friends 1968
Beach Boys – The T M Song 1976
Beach Boys – Do It Again 1969
Beach Boys – Never Learn Not To Love 1968
Beach Boys – Cabinesscence 1969
Beach Boys – I Can Hear Music 1969
Beach Boys – Break Away 1969
Beach Boys – Add Some Music To Your Day 1970
Beach Boys – Cool, Cool Water 1970
John Denver – Love Is Everywhere 1975
Ralph Kirkpatrick – [Bach] Two Part Inventions, No. 8 1960

Everything's wrong, and nothin' ain't right. Without you. We start with nice 50s lyrics. Guy Mitchell is singing the Blues. At this time nearly every successful American song would get a German version. In most cases very bad ones. Ring around my neck is maybe the only one where I prefer the German: Ich brauch keinen Ring, um dir treu zu sein. By Peter Kraus. I love Paul Anka. Especially this song. But the weirdest thing happened. I know I went to one of his concerts and I can’t remember anything about it. Same happened with John Denver who is one of my absolute favorite singers. Just zero.
Like the Beatles, the Beach Boys had their early "simple" hit songs and then beautiful more sophisticated music. Surfin USA is fun. But the music on the second side of this cassette is what made them one of the greatest bands ever. To me, this is more than a collection of songs. Actually, until I made the list here I could not have identified most of the songs. I would say that God Only Knows is my favorite Beach Boys song. But everyone here manages to make the other sound even better. I do own a couple of Beach Boys LPs including Pet Sounds, but I rarely listen to them. This here to me is ultimate Beach Boys.

What else do we have? Classics by the Drifters and the Mamas and the Papas and the Monkees. (RIP Peter Tork). Hush a bit different. And I think I talked about Three steps before. That leaves two rather unusual pieces. By Benny Goodman and Bach. And like I did before I ask myself why is it that I did not go into this kind of music? Because I really like them both a lot.

Best song: God only knows

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 03/09/2019 14:46
  • Post subject:

Live Im Audimax by Otto Waalkes

Karstadt-2

Otto Waalkes – Der Tarzanruf
Otto Waalkes – Der Würger von Wolfenbüttel
Otto Waalkes – Wandering Star
Otto Waalkes – Father Bull
Otto Waalkes – Grabsteininschrift
Otto Waalkes – Die Gabel des Teufel
Otto Waalkes – Das Gewitter
Otto Waalkes – Tommy
Otto Waalkes – Er war einsam, aber schneller
Otto Waalkes – Gebet
Otto Waalkes – Manna Manna
Otto Waalkes – Chiquita Banana
Otto Waalkes – Es wird Nacht, Senorita
Otto Waalkes – Otto-Versand
Otto Waalkes – Tip Toe Through The Tulips
Otto Waalkes – Die Vogelpastete
Otto Waalkes – Kaninchen-Spruch
Otto Waalkes – L'Important C'Est La Rose
Otto Waalkes – König Erl
Otto Waalkes – Die Klapperschlange
Otto Waalkes – The Viper
Otto Waalkes – Dreckschwein
Otto Waalkes – Deflora
Otto Waalkes – Those Were The Days

Otto Waalkes – Der Papst
Otto Waalkes – Der Wellensittich
Otto Waalkes – Der Waschmittelvertreter
Otto Waalkes – Mein Liebchen hat ein etwas
Otto Waalkes – Die Popgruppe
Otto Waalkes – Everybody Got It But Me
Otto Waalkes – Zwei Hunde
Otto Waalkes – Hot Love
Otto Waalkes – Ich hatte nicht zu essen
Otto Waalkes – Die Aussenputzbefestiger
Otto Waalkes – Strassenseite
Otto Waalkes – Die Hamburger Hausfrau
Otto Waalkes – Soldaten
Otto Waalkes – Die Hitparade
Otto Waalkes – Der Amokläufer
Otto Waalkes – Die Pille
Otto Waalkes – Ein Freund
Otto Waalkes – Der Notzuchtverbrecher von Bad Segeberg
Otto Waalkes – Der Lange
Otto Waalkes – Mein Freund Meier, mein Freund Lehmann
Otto Waalkes – Im Zugabteil
Otto Waalkes – Die Atombombe
Otto Waalkes – Wild Zink
Otto Waalkes – Das Badeverbot
Otto Waalkes – Es brennt
Otto Waalkes – Rotkäppchen und der Wolf
Otto Waalkes – Nitroglyzerin
Otto Waalkes – Die Stimme seines Herrn

It is very hard to exaggerate the importance and brilliance of Otto Waalkes (generally known as just Otto). He is what is today called a Comedian. Although at the time there was no name for it in German. If you are not German it is maybe not very easy to understand what is so great about him. In 1973 when he first appeared he was from another star. His kind of humor was totally different. And it would be quite stupid to try to explain. You have to take my word for it.
He was also a great singer, by the way. He is still a big star. But it was the 70s that he changed the world. He also made a couple of popular films. And when I say popular I mean he made the most popular German film called Otto - der Film. (Some people would disagree.)
Anyway, I still think he is very funny. Here I have (more or less) the complete first two albums released in 1973 and 1974 respectively.

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 03/17/2019 13:23
  • Post subject:

Azzurro (Una Carezza In Un Pugno) by Adriano Celentano

Agfa Purple-7

[Unknown]
Everly Brothers – Till I Kissed You 1959
Guy Mitchell – Singing The Blues 1964
Adriano Celentano – Azzurro 1968
Phil Ochs – Draft Dodger Rag 1965
Phil Ochs – That’s What I Want To Hear 1965
Peter Dawson – I’ll Walk Beside You 1940
Peter Dawson – When The Sergeant Major’s On Parade 1932/1939
Preston Epps – Bongo Rock 1959
Burl Ives – Delia 1961
Ringo Starr – A Dose Of Rock 'N' Roll 1976

Bobby Darin – Multiplication 1961
Bobby Fuller Four – Love’s Made A Fool Of You 1966
Tommy Roe – Dizzy 1969
Gilbert O’Sullivan – Alone Again, Naturally 1971
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel – Love's a Prima Donna 1976
Showaddywaddy – Under The Moon Of Love 1976
Beatles – Ain’t She Sweet 1964
Sparks – Big Boy 1976
Zombies - Time Of The Season 1968
Sweet – Lost Angels 1977

A pity that I was unable to identify the first song. Something with clowns. Sounds a bit like Klatuu. The next song is unmistakenly by the great Everly Brothers. How could I exist --- until I kissed ya? And nearly as good Singing the Blues. Adriano Celentano is an Italian. But that is no excuse, that he is all but ignored at BEA. Azzuro is his best song. I grew up with the song and to me it means Italy. At the time I never had been to Italy. A beautiful country. But If I had to choose between the country and the song I would go for the song. Next two great ones by Phil Ochs. I had more or less forgotten him. And his songs are maybe more dated than the ones by Dylan. But I guess I like him more. I’ll walk beside you is a song that is excellent because it is very simple. And even I can sing it. I am very happy to finally know who the singer is. Dawson is followed by another instrumental. Bongo Rock. How can this not be great? Delia, also wonderful. Ringo is probably the weakest song on this side but I do love him.
For a long time, I thought Love’s Made A Fool Of You was by Buddy Holly. It is just as good as anything Buddy made. Gilbert O’Sullivan used to be big. I am one of the surviving fans. You have to learn to like his voice, though. The same, I guess, is true for Steve Harley. One of his weaker songs here, still amazing. Listening to Ain’t She Sweet I ask myself if I can recognize any spark of genius in the song. The answer is no. The Sparks were in a temporary decline with Big Boy but they would come back big. The Zombies, I am happy to see are popular enough. No need to praise them. Finally Sweet. I am not ashamed to like them but this one is embarrassingly bad.

Best song: Time Of The Season

Link

Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 03/29/2019 10:37
  • Post subject:

Out Of The Blue by Electric Light Orchestra

Agfa Purple-8 1980

Ringo Starr – Goodnight Vienna 1974
Supertramp – Logical Song 1979
Electric Light Orchestra – Wild West Hero 1978
Styx – Boat On The River 1979
Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody 1975
Richard Harris – Mac Arthur’s Park 1968
Cliff Richard – Miss You Nights 1975

Queen – Good old Fashioned Lover Boy 1977
Deep Purple – Black Night 1970
Abba – Knowing Me, Knowing You
Queen – Somebody To Love
Abba – Take A Chance On Me 1978
Electric Light Orchestra – All Over The World 1980
Hello – New York Groove 1976
Boston – More Than A Feeling 1976
La Düsseldorf – Rheinita 1978

One of the good things to say about Vienna is that Ringo made a song about her. By 1979 it was not cool anymore to listen to Supertramp. (The Americans had started to like them, always a bad sign.) But still, how can one not love the Logical Song? Something similar can be said about the Electric Light Orchestra, Wild West Heroes was great, but somehow one could feel ELO was slowly stepping down from their peak. I said it before, I have few regrets regarding the songs on these cassettes. I guess including Styx is one of them. It just sounds false. In Bohemian Rhapsody, of course, there is nothing false. One of the greatest songs of all time. Another very long song, Mac Arthur’s Park. If you have seen the Queen film you know that this was mentioned as precedence. It was possible to have long songs played on the radio. I love the Donna Summer version, but Harris is better still. Miss you nights was a kind of alternative to the Rolling Stones’ Miss you. Not as strong, a bit corny in fact, but still quite good.

We have two more by Queen, okay but not more. And I taped two songs by Abba? Very strange! And All Over The World by ELO? They nearly have reached the bottom with this one. Not quite as bad as Confusion, but very bad. Luckily there are two wonderful songs on this side, Black Night, one of Deep Purple’s best and the incredible Rheinita, by the underrated La Düsseldorf. In 1977 I was supposed to be too old to like teeny bands like Hello. But I did. Every time I am in New York you can be sure I will be singing "I am back... back in the New York Groove". More than a Feeling is a perfect Rock song. Maybe a bit too perfect. Nearly destroyed by too much airplay. But it survived.

Best song: Bohemian Rhapsody

Link