Thousandth Post (A Serious One)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2018 22:09
  • Post subject: Thousandth Post (A Serious One)
Thanks for all the suggestions; however, I don't have the time to rank 1000 albums., and I'm not sure how to throw a party on a forum so, I chose to to do something a bit serious.

Instead, in honor of today's date, I decided to post this list of Music that was affected by the September 11th attacks. I know, it's kind of a downer, but I found this too interesting not to share. I highlighted two sections in particular that brought up something that I had never thought about before, and I'd like to know what other people think about these claims.

This is not meant to be political post; it is purely informational. Please don't make it political.

1. Like television, almost all radio stations across the United States put a halt on all programs and commercials to simulcast affiliated news coverage of the attacks from ABC News Radio and CBS Radio News, or taking an audio simulcast of a television news operation, be it local or national, while national morning shows hosted by personalities such as Rick Dees or Howard Stern focused on providing both information about the attacks and call-in forums for listeners to express sympathies. Local New York all-news radio operations WINS and WCBS, along with Washington's WTOP carried locally based coverage that was simulcast on those sister FM stations without operations destroyed at the World Trade Center as AM operations with transmitters on the outskirts of metropolitan areas were unaffected outside of security concerns for studio and transmitter facilities.

2. XM Radio, a subscription-based satellite radio service headquartered in Washington, D.C., was scheduled to launch on September 12, 2001. As a direct result of the attacks, the launch was delayed until September 25 when the service debuted on a limited basis in San Diego and Dallas.

3. Program directors from a number of radio stations throughout the US retooled their playlists in response to the attacks. Common changes included the heavy rotation of songs such as "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood and Whitney Houston's rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" from Super Bowl XXV. Meanwhile, songs such as U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and Dave Matthews Band's "Crash Into Me" were commonly deleted. Additionally, Clear Channel (now known as iHeartMedia) came under scrutiny for distributing a list of 150 potentially sensitive songs that were not recommended for broadcast immediately after the attacks.

4. NPR's weekly comedic news quiz show Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! would not record or broadcast a show for the weekend of September 15-16.

5. German heavy metal band Rammstein was to debut their video for the song "Ich Will" which depicted scenes of one band member dressed as a suicide bomber. After the attacks, the video was removed from television airplay before it premiered.

6. The Christian rap metal band P.O.D. released their album Satellite that day, spurring success for the album and its lead single "Alive" as having a positive message in the aftermath. Other bands associated with aggressive heavy rock genres such as nu metal and rap metal experienced a downturn in sales due to the attacks. These genres continued to decline in popularity during the following years.

7. New Zealand rock band Shihad changed their name to Pacifier in response to American audiences comparing "Shihad" with "Jihad." They have since resumed using their original name.

8. According to Arrogant Worms band member Trevor Strong, the song "Worst Seat on the Plane" was never performed live due to Idiot Road, the album it was featured on, being released on September 18, 2001, one week after the terrorist attacks.

9. American alternative rock band Jimmy Eat World voluntarily changed the name of their now platinum certified fourth studio release Bleed American, which was released on July 18, 2001, out of concern that the title may be misinterpreted. The album was re-released as the eponymous Jimmy Eat World. In addition, the title track was renamed "Salt Sweat Sugar." In 2008, a deluxe version of the album was released, reverting both the album and song to their original Bleed American title.

10. American pop-punk band Blink 182 re-filmed the video for their song "Stay Together for the Kids." The original video was filmed on September 10–11 and depicted the band playing in an abandoned house which, during the course of the video, was struck repeatedly by a wrecking ball and eventually destroyed. The attacks occurred following the wrapping of filming. Both the band and director Samuel Bayer felt that the images portrayed in the video were too similar to the attacks on the World Trade Center and opted to re-shoot the video. The original video for the song is available on some of the band's DVD releases as well as on YouTube.

11. American rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars reshot the cover art for their self-titled debut album that originally featured a fighter pilot ejecting from an exploding plane. The band explained that they never saw it as a violent image, but felt that it was inappropriate in the wake of the events.

12. Michael Jackson, along with other musicians, performed the songs "What More Can I Give" and "Man in the Mirror" at the United We Stand benefit concert held at the RFK Memorial Stadium on October 21, 2001 as a tribute to the victims of the attacks.

13. The Hungarian composer Robert Gulya, who was living in the USA from 2000 to 2002, started to work on a guitar concerto in autumn 2001, shortly after the September 11 attacks. Gulya chose a theme for the concerto's first movement,[40] which reminds of the terror attacks.[41] The world premiere of this concerto was filmed and released on the DVD Live in Budapest by the Austria guitarist Johanna Beisteiner.

14. Ben Folds was giving an interview about his album "Rockin' the Suburbs" (released on September 11) but was cut short, due to the plane crashes.

15. The song "New York City Cops" was replaced with "When it Started" on the U.S. version of The Strokes' debut album Is This It.

16. Hip hop band The Coup were originally set to release their album Party Music early in the month. The original cover art depicted band members Boots Riley and Pam the Funkstress blowing up the World Trade Center with a mocked-up electronic tuner "detonator" and crossed drumsticks. Despite Riley's protests to keep the original album art, releasing label 75 Ark changed the art to a more generic image of a held martini glass filled with burning gasoline (a gasoline can is seen in the background), and released it on November 6.

17. Dream Theater's Live Album Live Scenes from New York, released on September 11, 2001, had an album cover that depicted the skyline of New York City in flames. The album was recalled and later re-released, with a different cover.

18. English rock band Bush changed the name of the lead single off their 2001 album Golden State from "Speed Kills" to "The People That We Love". Also changed was the original cover art for the album, which featured a commercial airplane.

19. The tribute concert Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music, a fundraiser for the Robin Hood Foundation dedicated to the music of John Lennon, took place in early October 2001 in New York. Due to its timing, much of the concert also became a tribute to the city of New York and particularly its emergency services.

20. Singer Madonna postponed a concert performance in Los Angeles, California.
Rock band Fabulous Disaster cancelled two shows originally scheduled for September 11th and 12th, as booked by Cause Result Entertainment.

21. Rock band Aerosmith cancelled three shows originally scheduled for September 11th, 13th, and 15th, all on the Eastern Seaboard, during their Just Push Play Tour. They resumed their tour on September 17 in Atlanta.
The San Francisco Symphony continued with a previously planned program of Mahler's 6th Symphony, the "Tragic," on September 12–15. The subsequent recording was highly acclaimed and garnered the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Orchestral Performance.

22. Janet Jackson postponed a concert in Tampa, Florida, scheduled for the day. She also cancelled the entire European leg of her All for You Tour due to travel concerns after the attacks.

23. Sting's next project after Brand New Day (1999) was to be On Such a Night, a live CD and DVD album recorded at his Italian villa and simulcast on the Internet. The concert was scheduled for September 11th, and was altered due to the terrorist attacks in America that day. The webcast was shut down after one song (a reworked version of "Fragile"), after which Sting let the audience decide whether to continue the show; the audience voted "yes". The subsequent album and DVD was released as ...All This Time (November 2001) and was dedicated "to all those who lost their lives on that day".

24. Digital cable channel MTVX, which showed mainly hard rock and heavy metal music videos, was replaced on May 1, 2002 with the hip hop-based MTV Jams, due to not only hip hop's growing mainstream presence, but the editing of rock radio station playlists or complete change in format to them post-9/11 to remove aggressive and violent songs that were inappropriate for play and a plunge in viewer requests for the network. A good number of radio stations switched to more neutral classic rock or adult album alternative formats in the aftermath. The channel became BET Jams in 2015.

25. Stations began to start all-Christmas music formats and playlists through Christmas Day earlier (usually between Halloween and Thanksgiving) to provide a respite to listeners who looked for more calming dial choices, a trend that continues to the present day.[/b]
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2018 22:13
  • Post subject:
I do want to mention that if 9/11 never happened, Boards of Canada's Geogaddi would have been completely different. Since when the attacked occurred, the duo was glued to the news at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2018 22:28
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I do want to mention that if 9/11 never happened, Boards of Canada's Geogaddi would have been completely different. Since when the attacked occurred, the duo was glued to the news at the time.

Huh? I've never heard of that album having any themes of that nature. Do you have a source? I'd be interested to read about that.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2018 22:42
  • Post subject:
I will go look it up, but there was an interview in the early 2000's when Geogaddi was released they mentioned about 9/11. Hell there was a fan made music video on youtube that showed the infamous video of people falling out of the World Trade Center and that's when I found out there were relations to 9/11.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2018 22:58
  • Post subject:
Ok I have found the text. Now the context is different since this post was from 2005 with there third album but the first couple of sentences make sense to this post.

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Above_Board!#Text

To find the section I'm referring to just Ctrl F and type Geogaddi. Also put the link in the url box.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2018 02:31
  • Post subject:
Applause Rocka

This is one hell of a 1,000th post. Thanks for sharing.

I remember that summer when Chop Suey! was a huge hit on the radio, and then it suddenly disappeared after 9/11. As Rocka explained in #3, every station played upbeat songs, patriotic songs, or news coverage. I also remember that Alan Jackson song that came out shortly afterward that we were all told to love. And all those tribute concerts that were televised over the next few weeks.

#25, so 9/11 is the reason I start hearing Christmas music in October, eh? Thanks bin Laden.

#24, this is fascinating. Angry, aggressive rock/metal was temporarily censored for obvious reasons, but I didn't know about MTVX. It says there was a plunge in viewer requests for such angry music. This suggests viewers simply didn't want to listen to angry songs. Or maybe viewers did request them, but MTVX refused to play them because they didn't want to offend anyone?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2018 02:51
  • Post subject:
Great post! Reactions to 9/11 brought out the best in so many people, and sadly, the worst in others. The music world was no exception. For example, there was a top 40 country hit 9/11 response song in November 2001 that used an implied racial slur against people of Arab descent.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2018 03:02
  • Post subject:
Quote:
As Rocka explained in #3,

Oh shit, should have made it more clear that this is a list from a wikipedia article my dude. I just highlighted those ones because they made an interesting narrative. I definitely don't want to take credit for something that isn't my own words. (I should know better as an English teacher) Embarassed

Also @ baystate

Are you talking about that Alan Jackson one that Streetspirit mentioned? I honestly have no recollection of it because nobody in my family was listening to modern country then.

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 09/12/2018 03:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2018 03:03
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Also @ baystate

Are you talking about that Alan Jackson one that Streetspirit mentioned? I honestly have no recollection of it because nobody in my family was listening to modern country then.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/charlie...aflag.html

Peaked at #33 on the country charts.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2018 03:07
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Also @ baystate

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/charlie...aflag.html

Peaked at #33 on the country charts.

Well, that didn't take long for me to find it!
  • Visit poster's website