An Exploration of World Music

View previous topic :: View next topic
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2018 03:02
  • Post subject: An Exploration of World Music
#1: Swazi Soul by Bholoja (Swaziland, 2010)

I figured I should start a music diary here at some point. My only problem was how to make my diary interesting, since I don't listen to that much that y'all don't know. Then, I discovered this album:

Swazi Soul by Bholoja

Bholoja is an afro-pop singer and guitarist from Swaziland, who sings a fusion of traditional Swazi and Southern African music with soul. His debut album was released in 2010, to some praise, winning an award from the South African Traditional Music Achievement. He is a big believer in African pride and championing the poor and underprivileged. But regardless of all that, this album is just good, if a little derivative. It's a collection of some fantastic soul ballads with some excellent piano and guitar parts. Of course, I can't really tell you what the lyrics mean, but the melodies are wonderful. I highly recommend this as a mellow, melancholy record to listen to, and I trust you will not be disappointed.

Rating: 9.3/10

Hopefully I will continue to find more hidden gems from around the globe, and continue to update this diary. I may try to stick with Swazi music for the moment, provided I can find more. Enjoy![/b]
  • Visit poster's website
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2018 02:32
  • Post subject:
#2: Zvonte Zvonky by Pavol Hammel & Prudy (Slovakia, 1969)

Zvoňte Zvonky by Prúdy

I lied, and departed far from Swaziland, to an album voted "the greatest Slovakian album" by one publication. It's the Sgt. Pepper's of Slovakia in more ways than one, a psychadelic-pop album that makes use of many different sounds in unconventional ways. At times, it is much too ridiculous, but there are actually some well-made songs here. The first track and "Jesenne Litanie" are my personal favorites, but it's a solid, consistent album that show how far the Beatles and Beach Boys' influence reached in a short time. The instrumentation is the clear highlight, over the vocals or the melodies, but this album is good enough that I'd recommend checking it out.

Rating: 8.3/10

Other international listens:

Ayibobo by Paul Beaubrun (Haiti, 2018)

Beaubrun, a Haitian ex-pat who now lives in Brooklyn, tells his life story through the album Ayibobo. He has a fascinating guitar tone throughout, and creates a good sound-scape, if the songs are a little dull. The lyrics are interesting, and describe his fleeing tragedy in Haiti and establishing a new life in New York. It's not the greatest album, but "You Don't Love Me" is a solid track that might be worth checking out.

Rating: 7.3/10
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 02:29
  • Post subject:
There's a chance you already have great sources, etc. to discover from, but I found this list quite impressive (have yet to listen to more than the obvious from it to know if it's "good" music wise, but pretty cool list nonetheless.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Algide_A...rld-music/
  • Visit poster's website