unconventional release format

View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2018 20:47
  • Post subject: unconventional release format
Fyfe Dangerfield is releasing a series of webcasts/EPs this year. The first episode is available for download as one eighteen-plus-minute track. In my correspondence with Fyfe, he has referred to this release as an EP, but given the unconventional release nature, I don't know that it qualifies.

While *technically* only one track, this first EP is clearly divided up into 6 tracks, listed over at Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/Fyfe-Dangerfiel...e/12591161

Here is a link to the first episode in question:

http://www.channelsmaychange.com/birdwatcher/episode-1/

It's great stuff, and it's shaping up to be my favorite "release" this year, but given the presentation as one downloadable track, is it allowed here? Of note: the PDF download that comes with the track separately names the tracks.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2018 00:38
  • Post subject:
According to the info at Discogs, this EP was released as a single 18 minute track. This track is divided into 6 sections, but it's still a single track.

Also set up in this way is the opening track of this album:

2112 by Rush

https://www.discogs.com/Rush-2112/master/7315

The track "2112" is listed as a single track at 20:34. with 7 sections. On Discogs, (and on the album itself,) each section is listed as part of the parent track and given its own time...but it is still part of the single track. Thus, the album 2112 is an album with six tracks, not 12 tracks. I believe the same would apply to the Fyfe Dangerfield EP, which would be a single 18 minute track, and would thus not be eligible for inclusion on BEA.

Also...does a webcast qualify as an album release? Would this not open the door to anyone broadcasting an internet playlist and calling it an album (or basically any playlist on Spotify, 8tracks, etc.) being eligible here?

AM?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2018 03:30
  • Post subject:
speaking of difficult releases, I'm interested in using this site to help review classical music. Haydn's symphonies are at times hard to find in a normal "album format", but I did find this:

https://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-S...B00006GA50
https://open.spotify.com/album/0hGIxoEd...vuMcWgXw2w

It does look like "box sets" are allowed so long as it is stated as such?
https://www.besteveralbums.com/admin_album_help.php

This is an incredibly cool find by the way:
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/01/2018 12:55
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Also...does a webcast qualify as an album release? Would this not open the door to anyone broadcasting an internet playlist and calling it an album (or basically any playlist on Spotify, 8tracks, etc.) being eligible here?

AM?

A webcast (to my mind at least) is distinguishable from a regular release and shouldn't be something that BEA starts listing because as Romanelli mentions it opens the floodgates a bit too wide and the site is difficult enough to manage already.

If a release is less than 20 minutes, it's only admissible to BEA if it has more than four tracks. (We've been here before with albums released as part of a series and what tends to happen is all releases in the series eventually get released as some type of box set, and the box set then gets added to BEA instead of the individual releases).

Regarding Seth's point, box sets are generally fine and BEA doesn't have a problem with any type of classical music albums being listed so long as they are not re-releases (to keep things consistent across the whole site).
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2018 18:10
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

AM?

A webcast (to my mind at least) is distinguishable from a regular release and shouldn't be something that BEA starts listing because as Romanelli mentions it opens the floodgates a bit too wide and the site is difficult enough to manage already.

thank you for the responses. i agree that the floodgates would be a little too loose. hopefully, he releases some sort of compilation after all the casts.