Which Artist Has The Largest Number Of Perfect Songs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 10/16/2018 16:12
  • Post subject:
I would also like to throw in a few artists that haven't been mentioned yet, including:

Radiohead (Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Let Down, Everything in Its Right Place, Weird Fishes, Burn the Witch, etc)

The Flaming Lips (The Abandoned Hospital Ship, A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, Waitin' For a Superman, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1, Do you Realize?)

Husker Du (Pink Turns to Blue, New Day Rising, Makes No Sense At All, Don't Want to Know If You're Lonely, Could You Be the One)

Death Grips (Beware, I've Seen Footage, No Love, On GP, Bottomless Pit, Black Paint)
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 16:14
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Neil Finn said something along the lines of, “you can spend a long time in the studio trying to make an average song work, but with a great song, you can do just about anything with it and it will still be great”.

I’d agree with that. With that in mind, I’d suggest a good test of “artists with the largest number of perfect songs” would be to see how many times those songs have been covered by other artists. A perfect song will be almost indestructible, and will transcend things like genre and generation.

By that metric of the sheer number of times their songs have been covered, in the Rock era, the winners would be the Beatles, Carole King and Bob Dylan in that order. This is according to the music publishing companies. Whether or not that's a good metric to use I don't know, but technically those would be the top artists.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 17:04
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Neil Finn said something along the lines of, “you can spend a long time in the studio trying to make an average song work, but with a great song, you can do just about anything with it and it will still be great”.

I’d agree with that. With that in mind, I’d suggest a good test of “artists with the largest number of perfect songs” would be to see how many times those songs have been covered by other artists. A perfect song will be almost indestructible, and will transcend things like genre and generation.

By that metric of the sheer number of times their songs have been covered, in the Rock era, the winners would be the Beatles, Carole King and Bob Dylan in that order. This is according to the music publishing companies. Whether or not that's a good metric to use I don't know, but technically those would be the top artists.

so basically white artists from the 60s?

actually, i'm a little surprised to see Carole King at #2. i feel like Nina Simone has a few that get covered quite a bit more than Carole King... i can think of one(?) Carole King cover i've heard, off the top of my head. maybe i'm out of touch on that point.

the problem with this metric though is that it favors POP songs that have been around for a while. relatively few artists are going to bother covering something like Paranoid Android or Bohemian Rhapsody, despite their popularity, due to the complexity of learning and memorizing the pieces. at least, relative to learning Hey Jude or All Along the Watchtower. and those are relatively simple... imagine covering A Love Supreme or Theme For The Eulipions. it's just not something your average person CAN cover. are they not perfect songs? heck, i think Da Slockit Light is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and i know of very few studio covers of it, but it's a traditional song that's been around for years, covered by thousands of people. i believe i've digressed though.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 17:20
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:

actually, i'm a little surprised to see Carole King at #2. i feel like Nina Simone has a few that get covered quite a bit more than Carole King... i can think of one(?) Carole King cover i've heard, off the top of my head. maybe i'm out of touch on that point.

the problem with this metric though is that it favors POP songs that have been around for a while. relatively few artists are going to bother covering something like Paranoid Android or Bohemian Rhapsody, despite their popularity, due to the complexity of learning and memorizing the pieces. at least, relative to learning Hey Jude or All Along the Watchtower. and those are relatively simple... imagine covering A Love Supreme or Theme For The Eulipions. it's just not something your average person CAN cover. are they not perfect songs? heck, i think Da Slockit Light is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and i know of very few studio covers of it, but it's a traditional song that's been around for years, covered by thousands of people. i believe i've digressed though.

That's why I said I don't know if it's a good metric to use. I wasn't judging the quality of anyone's music. The reason it would be artists writing in the 60s is because there's simply been more time to cover their songs. Beatles songs have been recorded close to 2,000 times, and Dylan and King somewhere around a thousand. I didn't say that they themselves recorded 1000 Perfect songs, I was just replying to a post by the person who quoted a musician who said that maybe the best way to judge how perfect a song is by how many times its been covered. I didn't say that was my opinion also. Even though I like all three of those artists very much.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 17:53
  • Post subject:
The definition of what a perfect song is, and what artists have the most, are in the eyes of the beholders.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 18:00
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
The definition of what a perfect song is, and what artists have the most, are in the eyes of the beholders.

Exactly.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 18:40
  • Post subject:
It's hard to really say a single artist considering the definition of "perfect" is so subjective. However, if the most impressive discographies is any indicator to the number of quality (or perfect) tracks within an artists discography then Kanye West should be in the discussion, in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/16/2018 20:23
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:

Spot on. No one can play like Coltrane, no one can compose like Beethoven (etc), so one tends to find a much smaller talent pool to cover or mimic the most extraordinary/most singular artists (not always, but tends to...).
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/16/2018 21:05
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
craola wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
rkm wrote:

Spot on. No one can play like Coltrane, no one can compose like Beethoven (etc), so one tends to find a much smaller talent pool to cover or mimic the most extraordinary/most singular artists (not always, but tends to...).

Yeah, but the ability to write multiple standards that are covered by lots of people is also extraordinary.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 21:10
  • Post subject:
the people behind this have recorded over 22,000 perfect songs http://www.1happybirthday.com
  • Visit poster's website