What's the highest ranked album you've never listened to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 01:38
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
So I made it through about 20 minutes of that Tool album. Jesus wept. If someone can explain to me why that's good - caveat: without mentioning virtuosity or the Fibonacci sequence - then I'm all ears. God fucking damn, it's the worst thing I've ever heard.

There's much, much worse Prog Metal than Tool.

Things I like about Tool:

Loud noises
Grimy Bass Tones
Eh, Satan and the occult?

I know you said not to bring up virtuosity, but, as a drummer, Danny Carey is one of our gods, so I have to defend at least him.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 02:58
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
So I made it through about 20 minutes of that Tool album. Jesus wept. If someone can explain to me why that's good - caveat: without mentioning virtuosity or the Fibonacci sequence - then I'm all ears. God fucking damn, it's the worst thing I've ever heard.

eh. i think they are one of those bands you need to get into during your angsty years to really appreciate. it's like those thriller films (the ring or whatever). they rage hard. they've also got some "dark" stuff that is fun to listen to simply cause it's dark. i remember purchasing 10,000 days and listening to it for the first time as a teenager, driving through the country on a dark night, and i had to pull over i was so freaked out by parts of it. i can only think of one other album that did that to me, by some obscure indie outfit called sleepwell. i mean, i'm way past those years, but i think there's still some merit to any music that can shake you up, in whatever form that is.
Rockdrigo

Bolivia

• Posted: 10/20/2018 04:21
  • Post subject:
266. Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull
305. 2112 by Rush
315. Aqualung by Jethro Tull
325. At Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers Band
335. The Cars by The Cars
365. Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young And Crazy Horse
366. August And Everything After by Counting Crows
384. The River by Bruce Springsteen
385. Crosby, Stills & Nash by Crosby, Stills & Nash
396. Tea For The Tillerman by Cat Stevens
At one point I wanted to complete the top 1000 but eventually I got bored of some specific artists and genres, and realized there is so much music out there I don't need to delve on genres I don't care for. Now I'm waiting for albums I've already listened to replace the current ones (I used to have around 190 left and in like two years I’m closer to 160).

For discovering, I use:
1. RYM default charts, it used to be BEA but RYM has a bigger and more varied database.
2. My RYM network of friends that I built over the years.
3. Anthony Fantano. Even if I don't agree with him too much he still reviews a lot of music across many genres. He alone has presented me to more new artists than anyone I know. Also, he's less predictable than the big publications (cough, cough, Pitchfork).
4. Other music critics and publications.
5. Artists related to music I already like (record label partners, interesting features, songwriters).
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/20/2018 04:58
  • Post subject:
I just lined up a playlist of the first 100 “never heard” albums. Not sure if this is going to be enlightening or torture? Most likely both.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/20/2018 06:48
  • Post subject:
Gonzalese wrote:
If you simply don't like it then I guess there's not much to say, which is fine. I'm not going to try and change your mind, but since you asked, and since this is my favourite album of all time, I will explain what I like about it and why I think it is good.

It's different: nothing comes close to sounding as original and intriguing as this band - the rhythmic and instrumental sections are so weird yet flow so incredibly well from one to another. There is a groove throughout the sections which may initially be hard to pick up on but are damn tasty.

Maynard's vocals are hugely diverse: he sounds like multiple different singers throughout. His scream in The Grudge is incredible.

The album blends a multitude of emotional themes that are encountered through various walks of life, both lyrically and musically. I won't explain each and every track, but if you listen to it through you should be able to identify the triumphantness of Lateralus compared to the desperation of Reflection and so on.

It is lyrically very introspective and spiritual. This is what I enjoy most about it. The bridge section of Schism is very emotional and has a very powerful message - that when we lose the fundamental skill of communication we become incompassionate and we lose touch with our sense of being. Also in The Patient, it's message is to be patient. It says that we have chosen to be here, and if we as individuals didn't feel there would be some great reward for enduring the struggles of life that we have chosen then we would not have chosen it, and we certainly would have given up by now. This might sound like some afterlife mumbo jumbo to you but Maynard's philosophical views align closely with mine and hence I find this album very relatable.

I don't expect this to change your mind immediately, but I hope it at least gets you to listen to it from start to finish. 20 minutes is actually only about two full tracks. Maybe it's just not what you were expecting, or maybe not what you are usually into. Don't let this put you off because yes it is different and it is weird and definitely not headbanging material, but regardless this album is incredible and well deserving of its rating.

If you don't like it then so be it. I completely understand why it may not be for everyone.

Good day to you.

Thanks.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/20/2018 07:25
  • Post subject:
8. Led Zeppelin IV
11. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
20. Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted
23. Pink Floyd - The Wall
26. The Doors - The Doors
27. The Who - Who's Next
28. Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
30. The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
34. U2 - The Joshua Tree
35. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
36. Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
37. Led Zeppelin II
40. Talking Heads - Remain In The Light
41. Pearl Jam - Ten
42. Pink Floyd - Animals
44. The Cure - Disintegration
45. Arctic Monkeys
46. Jeff Buckley - Grace
47. Wilko
50. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Quite a long list for me, and that's just the top 50 Very Happy

To be honest, I'm just not that interested in exploring most of these artists. I'd rather spend my time finding out about obscurer things that fit different aesthetics rather than establishing myself as some kind of expert on the classic rock/pop genre.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/20/2018 07:33
  • Post subject:
SleepDealer wrote:
8. Led Zeppelin IV
27. The Who - Who's Next
34. U2 - The Joshua Tree
37. Led Zeppelin II
41. Pearl Jam - Ten
42. Pink Floyd - Animals
45. Arctic Monkeys
46. Jeff Buckley - Grace
47. Wilko

To be honest, I'm just not that interested in exploring most of these artists. I'd rather spend my time finding out about obscurer things that fit different aesthetics rather than establishing myself as some kind of expert on the classic rock/pop genre.

Yeah but Remain In Light.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 08:41
  • Post subject:
SleepDealer wrote:

You have a Beatles album, a Peter Gabriel album, two Kinks albums and two Joni Mitchell records in your overall chart -- seems like you're drawing a somewhat arbitrary line. Dylan, of course, was a primary influence on Mitchell.

The 1st Doors album, Highway 61 Revisited and Court of the Crimson King were pretty radical albums in their day. I'd recommend checking the first two out and "21st Century Schizoid Man," from Crimson King at the very least. And, yeah, Remain in Light.

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 10/20/2018 09:43; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Magcelick

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 09:07
  • Post subject:
For me, it's Abbey Road
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 14:14
  • Post subject:
SleepDealer wrote:
8. Led Zeppelin IV
27. The Who - Who's Next
34. U2 - The Joshua Tree
37. Led Zeppelin II
41. Pearl Jam - Ten
42. Pink Floyd - Animals
45. Arctic Monkeys
46. Jeff Buckley - Grace
47. Wilko

Oh, dude... please come join us in the games section for the listen to your unlistened thing. I'm not going to be an expert in indie rock after I get done listening to a bunch of stuff I've avoided, but you've got some real important records there. If anything, definitely listen to Remain In Light.
  • Visit poster's website