You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 23:33
  • Post subject: You must listen to the album below you: canon edition
Inspired by a couple people's comments in this thread, here's a twist on the "You must listen to the album below you." game people like so well. In this game, you post the ten highest ranked albums you haven't heard from a chart. It could from be the overall chart, a decade chart, or a year chart on BEA or RYM. If you want to explore a genre, you can use a genre chart from RYM. Or, you can use a BEA user's chart that you've been wanting to dig into.

Here's what the structure of a post should look like:

1. Leave a brief review of the last album you were asked to listen to, unless this is your first post in the thread.
2. Choose one album from the top ten above you for that user to listen to.
3. Post a list of the top ten albums you haven't heard drawn from one of the sources mentioned above, so that the next user can make a recommendation for you.

~~~~~

To start things off, here are the ten highest ranked albums in the RYM chart that I have not heard:

38. Red - King Crimson
40. Spiderland - Slint
44. The Bends - Radiohead
47. F♯A♯∞ - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
51. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
53. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath
55. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
56. Ride The Lightning - Metallica
61. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
63. Tago Mago - Can
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 23:46
  • Post subject:
Sabbath. It has to be Sabbath. The most important band in all of metal & those are their two best.

Masters of Reality is them at the height of their powers, BUT their debut is very unique with some interesting instrumental & aesthetic detours that you wouldn't suspect from any metal band really.

Ok, read the rules now. Go with this one then...

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath

And I will choose your 1994 chart. Laughing

OK. I may have heard some of these, BUT these r the top 10 I don't really have a good recall on at all. Mostly Hip Hop it seems.

BayState's 1994 Chart

1. Southernnamewaytoolongtoremeber - Oukast
2. Stress:The Extinction Agenda - Organized Konfusion
3. 74:14 Global communication
4. Unisex- Blueboy
5. Pendulum Vibe - Joi (never even heard of)
6. Decline & Fall of Heavenly - Heavenly
7. Emmerdale - The Cardigans
8. The Main Ingredient - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
9. Word of Life - OC (never even heard of)
10. Hard to Earn - Gang Starr

And tbh, I don't really even know Illmatic by Nas that well if someone wants to give me that. It's never clicked for me. Shocked Embarassed I'm thinking that that is probably my biggest blindspot in 1994 and maybe the entire 90s.

Last edited by Repo on 10/19/2018 00:19; edited 5 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 05:45
  • Post subject:
Tilly, listen to this album from Baystate's chart.

Stress: The Extinction Agenda by Organized Konfusion

I am using the overall chart in the hopes that other people follow my lead and listen to some albums that they might not care for. Here are my top 10 half listened/never listened albums.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Born To Run- Bruce Fucking Springsteen
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
For Emma, Forever Ago- Bon Iver
Blue- Joni Mitchell
If You're Feeling Sinister- Belle and Sebastian
Hot Fuss- The Killers
High Violet- The National
Bon Iver, Bon Iver- Fucking Bon IVer
Hospice- The Antlers

See a pattern?
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 11:45
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I am using the overall chart in the hopes that other people follow my lead and listen to some albums that they might not care for. Here are my top 10 half listened/never listened albums.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
Blue- Joni Mitchell
Hot Fuss- The Killers
Bon Iver, Bon Iver- Fucking Bon IVer
Hospice- The Antlers

See a pattern?

Yes. BUT If You're Feeling Sinister does NOT belong.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 13:41
  • Post subject:
(Doing this for Tha1ChiefRocka since Tilly already has an album to listen to)

Years ago when I was finishing up the top 100 I made myself listen to Joni Mitchell's Blue even though I was sure i would hate it. It ended up becoming my favorite album ever. Rocka, you should listen to Blue too.

Here's my overall list from earlier minus Vespertine since i listened to that yesterday (and mostly liked it):

233. Red by King Crimson 
238. Legend by Bob Marley 
262. Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths 
302. Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus 
351. Debut by Bjork 
354. Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet 
380. Dog Man Star by Suede 
394. Bad by Michael Jackson 
400. License to Ill by The Beastie Boys 
403. Sublime by Sublime
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 15:07
  • Post subject:

Blue by Joni Mitchell

It's just so... OK. It's pretty and delicate and pleasant to listen to (although when she gets to a higher register sometimes not so much) and there is really nothing wrong with it. However, I still think it's boring. When something interesting comes in like a slide guitar, I think, "OOH, OOH something's happening! Something's happening!", but then it's gone. I'm too boorish I think. I started laughing on the last track, because I thought it would be funny if the title was "The Last Time I Saw Dick" instead of "The Last Time I Saw Richard". I'm so sorry for that last line.

Red is hard to listen to because Robert Fripp is notorious for not allowing his music pretty much anywhere. If you can find through any means, then I would suggest that. However, if that proves too difficult a task, then I would go for Bad by MJ.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
Hot Fuss- The Killers
Bon Iver, Bon Iver- Fucking Bon Iver
Hospice- The Antlers
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John (Dammit)

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 10/19/2018 16:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 15:29
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Blue by Joni Mitchell

It's just so... OK. It's pretty and delicate and pleasant to listen to (although when she gets to a higher register sometimes not so much) and there is really nothing wrong with it. However, I still think it's boring. When something interesting comes in like a slide guitar, I think, "OOH, OOH something's happening! Something's happening!", but then it's gone. I'm too boorish I think. I started laughing on the last track, because I thought it would be funny if the title was "The Last Time I Saw Dick" instead of "The Last Time I Saw Richard". I'm so sorry for that last line.

Red is hard to listen to because Robert Fripp is notorious for not allowing his music pretty much anywhere. If you can find through any means, then I would suggest that. However, if that proves too difficult a task, then I would go for Bad by MJ.

I notice you didn't mention the lyrics at all. They're easily the best part of the album, and what makes it one of the greats. Beautifully composed, and taken as a whole they create an atmosphere of deep melancholy.

Are you sticking to the top ten you posted before, and if so, what replaces Blue?
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 15:43
  • Post subject:
I rarely mention lyrics at all in any review of music (unless it's hip hop of course). In anything else, especially singer songwriter music, I'm more interested in the counterpoint between the sound of the singer's voice and the guitar, piano, tambourine, didgeridoo, whatever instrumentation is happening. Lyrics almost always have no bearing on any rating I would give an album unless they are so incredibly lackluster or extraordinary that not mentioning them would be stupid. I didn't hear anything on the album that I was impressed with. Typical idealistic-romantic meanderings.

Am I supposed to replace Blue with something else, or do I just post the same list with Blue removed now? You can PM me the answer to this question if you don't want to clog up the thread.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 16:00
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I rarely mention lyrics at all in any review of music (unless it's hip hop of course). In anything else, especially singer songwriter music, I'm more interested in the counterpoint between the sound of the singer's voice and the guitar, piano, tambourine, didgeridoo, whatever instrumentation is happening. Lyrics almost always have no bearing on any rating I would give an album unless they are so incredibly lackluster or extraordinary that not mentioning them would be stupid. I didn't hear anything on the album that I was impressed with. Typical idealistic-romantic meanderings.

Am I supposed to replace Blue with something else, or do I just post the same list with Blue removed now? You can PM me the answer to this question if you don't want to clog up the thread.

Interesting philosophy. To me, the lyrics are almost always important. Exceptions are if they're in a language I can't understand at all or if they're totally incomprehensible without reading the lyric sheet. If I had to pick one genre other than hip-hop where lyrics are key to consider in evaluating the music, it would probably be singer/songwriter.

The list should be ten every time, so just add the next one you haven't heard.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2018 16:10
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Interesting philosophy. To me, the lyrics are almost always important. Exceptions are if they're in a language I can't understand at all or if they're totally incomprehensible without reading the lyric sheet. If I had to pick one genre other than hip-hop where lyrics are key to consider in evaluating the music, it would probably be singer/songwriter.

The list should be ten every time, so just add the next one you haven't heard.

Yeah, I know that's a bit weird. People look at me like I'm crazy when I ever talk about this. I'm just much more interested in sounds. My overall chart now reflects this since I think there are vocals on maybe 5 of the albums. If I want to read something melancholy, then I'll read actual poetry. And yes, I am definitely one of the people that makes a clear line between lyrics and poetry. Joni Mitchell and Gwendolyn Brooks (as an example) aren't even in the same universe when it comes to writing. Now my English Teacher bias is showing, and I should probably stop.
  • Visit poster's website