You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2019 21:44
  • Post subject:
(1)

For one, I just love the mans flow. There is something about it that not only smooth and confident but the way he raps words feels like quite complex but he owns it. Second thought I want to dig further there were bars that made me go damn. The lemmings line was so damn good and I would like to say the story on No Regrets was awesome. Hell I could say that with any song on here. Back on the flow but I could see how his flow was influential to Daveed Diggs from Clipping if anyone is interested in Noise Hop.

Lastly I need to talk about the beats because not only do they fit the theme of the album name where is encapsulates living in the concrete jungle on a rainy day and the color was drained. Love the mix of elements of jazz and ambient to fit the thematic vibe of the album.

If there was a complaint for this album, it might be that some songs don't hit me that hard compared to the best of the album. But in the grand schemes for experimental hip hop in 2001, I would say this is the best. Thought I still do have Clouddead to listen to.

Grade:95
Rank wise for canon, in the top 10.

Also listening to The Impossible Kid and that is slapping so hard.

(2)
Tilly enjoy listening to GKMC again. I know you love that album a lot.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#16 Gold-Ryan Adams
#20 Take Off Your Pants and Jacket-Blink 182
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#33 Comfort Eagle-Cake
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#39 Kylie Minogue-Fever (R)
#41 Clouddead-Self Titled
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#46 All Is Dream-Mercury Rev

Again here is the 2001 custom list in real time.
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52774
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2019 10:09
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
(1)

For one, I just love the mans flow. There is something about it that not only smooth and confident but the way he raps words feels like quite complex but he owns it. Second thought I want to dig further there were bars that made me go damn. The lemmings line was so damn good and I would like to say the story on No Regrets was awesome. Hell I could say that with any song on here. Back on the flow but I could see how his flow was influential to Daveed Diggs from Clipping if anyone is interested in Noise Hop.

Lastly I need to talk about the beats because not only do they fit the theme of the album name where is encapsulates living in the concrete jungle on a rainy day and the color was drained. Love the mix of elements of jazz and ambient to fit the thematic vibe of the album.

If there was a complaint for this album, it might be that some songs don't hit me that hard compared to the best of the album. But in the grand schemes for experimental hip hop in 2001, I would say this is the best. Thought I still do have Clouddead to listen to.

Grade:95
Rank wise for canon, in the top 10.
]

Yeah. Just listened on my headphones. Such a beast of an album.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2019 14:09
  • Post subject:
2001 is also the year that Cannibal Ox's classic The Cold Vein was dropped. Shocked

I'm going to have to figure out which one I like better. They'll both probably be in my top ten for the year though.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2019 17:14
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
2001 is also the year that Cannibal Ox's classic The Cold Vein was dropped. Shocked

I'm going to have to figure out which one I like better. They'll both probably be in my top ten for the year though.

That is quite understandable. But to me Labor Days is better.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 06/22/2019 11:55
  • Post subject:

Aquemini by OutKast

Another really enjoyable album from Outkast. A chilled stoner southern hip hop album. Rosa Parks was my favourite song from this album but the quality was consistent throughout with some interesting music and beats, great flow, good lyrics, and great chemistry between Andre and Big Boi. Even though I rated Speakerboxxx/The Love Below higher, out of the four Outkast albums I've heard I think this is the one I'm more likely to come back to. 7.5/10 and 20/30 for 1998.

Luigii listen to All Is Dream. Every Mercury Rev album is great.

All Is Dream by Mercury Rev

StreetSpirit's all time greatest albums (5 picks left)

8. The Cars by The Cars
9. The Stranger by Billy Joel
12. Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World
18. 52nd Street by Billy Joel
20. Purple by Stone Temple Pilots
23. Third Eye Blind by Third Eye Blind
24. Reggatta de Blanc by The Police
28. The Hurting by Tears For Fears
31. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
33. Destroyer by Kiss
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2019 17:27
  • Post subject:
(1)

There is a sound and aesthetic that does appeal to what I like in music. And I do find this quite a great project. Hell I could see this being an excellent in the future. I think the caveat with this album where I'm not giving all my praise would be maybe if there was a percussive presence within the record. Or maybe there was and my mood hasn't been the best as it could be. Otherwise I do find this great but not the biggest standout for 2001.

Grade wise I gave it an 85 but it's closer to an 80.

(2)
Pash listen to Black Sabbath.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#16 Gold-Ryan Adams
#20 Take Off Your Pants and Jacket-Blink 182
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#33 Comfort Eagle-Cake
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#39 Kylie Minogue-Fever (R)
#41 Clouddead-Self Titled
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#47 Girls Can Tell-Spoon

Again here is the 2001 custom list in real time.
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52774

Also once I get rid of the first half of this year, I will mention some plans I do have in the future for the canon list.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2019 20:58
  • Post subject:

Fragile by Yes

Great album! The stellar, epic bookends account for half the record, and while the stuff in the middle isn't up to par, it's not shabby either. I can see how this was transitional between The Yes Album and Close To The Edge in terms of both style and quality. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Luigii, try this. I tried it because of this game and loved it.

cLOUDDEAD by cLOUDDEAD

~~~~~

3. BEA / RYM Chart Mashup [pick 5 of 5]

100. [BEA] Back In Black - AC/DC
134. [RYM] The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Live 1966 - The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert - Bob Dylan
140. [BEA] Hot Fuss - The Killers
169. [BEA] Tommy - The Who
172. [BEA] Black Holes And Revelations - Muse
175. [RYM] Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
179. [RYM] Ænima - Tool
185. [RYM] Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
189. [RYM] Blackwater Park - Opeth
192. [RYM] Made In Japan - Deep Purple
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 22:43
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:

Aquemini by OutKast

Another really enjoyable album from Outkast. A chilled stoner southern hip hop album. Rosa Parks was my favourite song from this album but the quality was consistent throughout with some interesting music and beats, great flow, good lyrics, and great chemistry between Andre and Big Boi. Even though I rated Speakerboxxx/The Love Below higher, out of the four Outkast albums I've heard I think this is the one I'm more likely to come back to. 7.5/10 and 20/30 for 1998.

I liked this a lot when it came out. checking it out now and kind of feel it hasn't aged all that well. Anyone else have any thoughts. Just feels a little dated perhaps. Although a lot of tracks are still quite excellent like the Da Art of Storytellin Part 2., Mamacita, Return of the G. Definitely a killer album.

Labor Days and Cold Vein still sound ahead of their time 15+ years later though.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:02
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Purplepash wrote:

Aquemini by OutKast

I liked this a lot when it came out. checking it out now and kind of feel it hasn't aged all that well. Anyone else have any thoughts. Just feels a little dated perhaps. Although a lot of tracks are still quite excellent like the Da Art of Storytellin Part 2., Mamacita, Return of the G. Definitely a killer album.

Labor Days and Cold Vein still sound ahead of their time 15+ years later though.

Obviously I'd have to disagree, as this is from my overall. This album is timeless, not dated. The most dated thing about it is the cover art. Also, Think at your track picks. Mamacita is easily the worst track on the album, and should have been left on the cutting room floor. The other two, while great, aren't even close to highlights for me.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:08
  • Post subject:
I can somewhat understand Da Art of Story Telling Pt 2 being not one or the best tracks off the album. But The Return Of The G is one of there best tracks Outkast ever made and still a big highlight.
  • Visit poster's website