Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:14
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I can somewhat understand Da Art of Story Telling Pt 2 being not one or the best tracks off the album. But The Return Of The G is one of there best tracks Outkast ever made and still a big highlight.

I love that song a lot, but it's not in my top five from the album. Would be somewhere between #7 and #10 if I were ranking the tracks.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:15
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I can somewhat understand Da Art of Story Telling Pt 2 being not one or the best tracks off the album. But The Return Of The G is one of there best tracks Outkast ever made and still a big highlight.

I think both are GREAT! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:17
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I love that song a lot, but it's not in my top five from the album. Would be somewhere between #7 and #10 if I were ranking the tracks.

So what would be top 5?
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:18
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Obviously I'd have to disagree, as this is from my overall. This album is timeless, not dated. The most dated thing about it is the cover art. Also, Think at your track picks. Mamacita is easily the worst track on the album, and should have been left on the cutting room floor. The other two, while great, aren't even close to highlights for me.

Interesting! Will have to check it out again. I can see how the chorus would bug you, but the rest of it seemed pretty could. I love that dark, heavy bass line too.

ps. It does kind of peter out, doesn't it
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:31
  • Post subject:
I have no desire to listen again, but here are my chief complaints from what I can recall.

- The chorus is wack.
- Witchdoctor's verse is ridiculously corny, with lots of terrible lines.
- André's verse is a disturbing fantasy about a violent reprisal to a same-sex advance.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:35
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
So what would be top 5?

It could change with my next listen, but last time it was these, in order of appearance on the album:

Rosa Parks
Skew It On The Bar-B
Slump
Da Art Of Storytellin' (Part 1)
SpottieOttieDopaliscious

Liberation is also above Return Of The G, and possibly some others are as well.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:41
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
It could change with my next listen, but last time it was these, in order of appearance on the album:

Rosa Parks
Skew It On The Bar-B
Slump
Da Art Of Storytellin' (Part 1)
SpottieOttieDopaliscious

That's quite a good list. I would have added stuff like Y'all Scared, Chonkyfire, Synthesizer, West Savannah, Liberation. Damn the more I type up the tracks, I realize how dope this album is.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2019 23:46
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I have no desire to listen again, but here are my chief complaints from what I can recall.

- The chorus is wack.
- Witchdoctor's verse is ridiculously corny, with lots of terrible lines.
- André's verse is a disturbing fantasy about a violent reprisal to a same-sex advance.

Makes sense! With you and Luigi chiming in, I'll have to listen again!!

My rank of Hip Hop albums thus far...

Godhead
1. Aesop Rock - Labor Days
2. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

(simply two of my favorite albums. Both could be in my overall)

Good

3. Outkast - Aquemini *** Need to relisten after comments from baystate & Luigii
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2019 01:39
  • Post subject:
(1)

For 2001, This is possibly the weirdest record from the canon. With how there are elements of hip hop but also nods to ambient music as well as other things in between. And there are quite a lot that I do enjoy about this and quite respect for being outside of the box. However, do I love it. Not quite. For one not all the passages musically stick the landing where I end up feeling somewhat bored for not moving me. For a point of reference, even though this album might not be the most lyrical the album You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack at least sounds laser focused for being a druggy and trippy endeavor where it emulates staying up and running on fumes at 3 am in the morning. Then I also have to note of the vocals. They are actually quite interesting where I don't think I have ever heard a delivery like that. And there is probably some verses within this album that would make me go damn. But there is some caveats to the vocals. I want to bring up that the delivery is realistically an acquired taste and can be somewhat a deal breaker for some listeners. However for the most part I don't have problem with them. I think my complaints and this might be a me factor, but not only do I feel these vocals thematically fit with album. They remind me of puzzle pieces that look like they fit but don't. But also feel like the vocals are a bit under the mix where there are points where I don't know what the trio was saying. (I think it's a trio.)

So with that rambling grade wise is probably the hardest part for me where I would grade this a 70 and could either go higher in the 75 or 80 range for being such an out there project where I can't think of most records that sound like this. But also could be a 65 or worse a 60 where I don't feel it meshes completely and sounds all over the place, or for my case feeling it didn't meet my expectations of what I wanted it to be. Because that intro is super dope.

(2)
That Aquemini talk pushed the last list. So Bay I would check out Tool's Aenima. One of my favorite records of 1996.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#16 Gold-Ryan Adams
#20 Take Off Your Pants and Jacket-Blink 182
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#33 Comfort Eagle-Cake
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#39 Kylie Minogue-Fever (R)
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#47 Girls Can Tell-Spoon
#48 B.R.M.C-Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Again here is the 2001 custom list in real time.
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52774
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2019 01:27
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
(1)

For 2001, This is possibly the weirdest record from the canon. With how there are elements of hip hop but also nods to ambient music as well as other things in between. And there are quite a lot that I do enjoy about this and quite respect for being outside of the box. However, do I love it. Not quite. For one not all the passages musically stick the landing where I end up feeling somewhat bored for not moving me. For a point of reference, even though this album might not be the most lyrical the album You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack at least sounds laser focused for being a druggy and trippy endeavor where it emulates staying up and running on fumes at 3 am in the morning. Then I also have to note of the vocals. They are actually quite interesting where I don't think I have ever heard a delivery like that. And there is probably some verses within this album that would make me go damn. But there is some caveats to the vocals. I want to bring up that the delivery is realistically an acquired taste and can be somewhat a deal breaker for some listeners. However for the most part I don't have problem with them. I think my complaints and this might be a me factor, but not only do I feel these vocals thematically fit with album. They remind me of puzzle pieces that look like they fit but don't. But also feel like the vocals are a bit under the mix where there are points where I don't know what the trio was saying. (I think it's a trio.)

So with that rambling grade wise is probably the hardest part for me where I would grade this a 70 and could either go higher in the 75 or 80 range for being such an out there project where I can't think of most records that sound like this. But also could be a 65 or worse a 60 where I don't feel it meshes completely and sounds all over the place, or for my case feeling it didn't meet my expectations of what I wanted it to be. Because that intro is super dope.

Nice analysis! Just listened for the first time and think it's pretty amazing. Very cinematic and world building. Personally I think the vocals and music are a perfect fit for each other. Definitely a world, I'll be spending more time in. More my thing than Aquemeni nonsurprisingly.

Repo's Brave New World of Hip Hop

Godhead
1. Aesop Rock - Labor Days
2. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

(simply two of my favorite albums. Both could be in my overall)

Great
3. cLOUDDEAD - s/t

Good
3. Outkast - Aquemini *** Need to relisten after comments from baystate & Luigii ***
  • Visit poster's website