Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 17:26
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
I like this far more than Nas' Illmatic which I checked out just yesterday. Only got through four tracks before turning it off. Just too repetitive, and I actually don't like the cliche choruses. If the songs were shortened GBV/Minutemen style I'd probably dig it a lot. Because I love the first couple of minutes of each track and then I just get bored.

This almost caused me physical pain Laughing

P.S. The “couple” in The xx is not what you think it is. He’s gay and she’s lesbian. And Jamie, the producer, is straight. Convenient because it rules out the sexual tension that is a problem for many bands.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 21:54
  • Post subject:

Red by King Crimson

In contrast to babyBlueSedan, I love their debut. It's currently the best prog rock album I've ever heard. Stylistically interesting, lyrically interesting, filled with virtuosity that's not just for virtuosity's sake. As for this one, I like it but don't love it. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me with time. Given, In The Court Of The Crimson King isn't an album I'd describe as deeply personal, but that being said, Red strikes me as rather impersonal and sterile. It's never unpleasant though, and I'll almost certainly revisit it down the road. BEA's rank seems far more appropriate than RYM's. My least favorite listen from this thread so far and a light 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. It's definitely bending the rules to include albums you've heard before, but I admire your willingness to go back to things you haven't liked. Out of that batch I'm going to give you this one, which is currently my #2 of all-time:

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

~~~~~

3. My list:

44. The Bends - Radiohead
47. F♯A♯∞ - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
51. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
53. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath
55. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
56. Ride The Lightning - Metallica
63. Tago Mago - Can
65. Close To The Edge - Yes
67. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
76. In Utero - Nirvana
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 22:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I rarely mention lyrics at all in any review of music (unless it's hip hop of course). In anything else, especially singer songwriter music, I'm more interested in the counterpoint between the sound of the singer's voice and the guitar, piano, tambourine, didgeridoo, whatever instrumentation is happening. Lyrics almost always have no bearing on any rating I would give an album unless they are so incredibly lackluster or extraordinary that not mentioning them would be stupid. I didn't hear anything on the album that I was impressed with. Typical idealistic-romantic meanderings.

Am I supposed to replace Blue with something else, or do I just post the same list with Blue removed now? You can PM me the answer to this question if you don't want to clog up the thread.

Interesting philosophy. To me, the lyrics are almost always important. Exceptions are if they're in a language I can't understand at all or if they're totally incomprehensible without reading the lyric sheet. If I had to pick one genre other than hip-hop where lyrics are key to consider in evaluating the music, it would probably be singer/songwriter.

The list should be ten every time, so just add the next one you haven't heard.

Yeah, I know that's a bit weird. People look at me like I'm crazy when I ever talk about this. I'm just much more interested in sounds. My overall chart now reflects this since I think there are vocals on maybe 5 of the albums. If I want to read something melancholy, then I'll read actual poetry. And yes, I am definitely one of the people that makes a clear line between lyrics and poetry. Joni Mitchell and Gwendolyn Brooks (as an example) aren't even in the same universe when it comes to writing. Now my English Teacher bias is showing, and I should probably stop.

I actually agree with you Chief (also would rather read an opera than listen to it, even though I love music and I love good literature - saying this as a German Lit major). For me music CAN say stuff that's important - but if you want to actually say something important, don't sing it cause I'll stop paying attention to your words and listen to the music instead. I'd rather read lyrics than listen to them any day.

Somehow shit lyrics pop out no problem though. And really cleverly delivered lyrics, but everything else in between is just blah blah - is it musical?

Also I've never been intelligent enough to play these games... I get lost on who is doing what when cause Imma total idiot. It's fun watching you guys play though Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 22:56
  • Post subject:
Seth, you could definitely join in. You need to listen to some of those albums that you mentioned. Especially Midnight Marauders and Future Days.

xx by The xx

I have about a hundred different reasons as to what I don't like about this album that went through my head as I was listening to it, but I'd rather not go on a diatribe. It's innocuous, so I won't bother going into detail. I will say that it actually is a unique album. The minimal aspect of the music is consistent throughout, which for some people may be a plus, but I don't think that "minimal" belongs anywhere near rock music. Like if a good local garage band got a big budget to record an album.

Baystate: TAGO MAGO! TAGO MAGO! TAGO MAGO!

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Born To Run- Bruce Fucking Springsteen
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
For Emma, Forever Ago- Bon Iver
Reflektor- Arcade Fire
Hot Fuss- The Killers
High Violet- The National
An Awesome Wave- alt j
Takk...- Sigur Ros
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John (Dammit)
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 02:38
  • Post subject:

Tago Mago by Can

Holy shit! Ok, that seriously blew my mind. A long, strange journey of an album. So much was going on in every regard that I don't really feel equipped to make many comments after one listen. I definitely will be going back for more later. I can see this developing into a favorite over time. I will start it at 4/5.

~~~~~

2. This is a tough call, because your batch is thinning out and there are several that I like about equally. However, if I could only listen to one of those albums again in my life, I would probably choose this one:

High Violet by The National

P.S. Are you keeping Elton John at the bottom of your list on purpose to show your distaste? Laughing

~~~~~

3. My list:

44. The Bends - Radiohead
47. F♯A♯∞ - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
51. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
53. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath
55. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
56. Ride The Lightning - Metallica
65. Close To The Edge - Yes
67. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
76. In Utero - Nirvana
80. Meddle - Pink Floyd
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 04:14
  • Post subject:
I've got a funny thing I can say about Elton John whenever I get to him.

High Violet by The National

I think The National have a strict formula of only 3 or 4 good songs per album. Alligator and Boxer are good albums, and this one is a shade below those 2. It's just more of the same. It feels like they've made 3 different versions of the same 10 songs on each of these albums.

I thought that you would like Tago Mago, and if you haven't listened to Future Days either, then you might like that one even more. (It's my favorite Can album.)

Man, your list is stacked. But since it used to be my number 1 album, I'm going to choose Meddle. It's my favorite album by my favorite band, but I know some people just don't like Pink Floyd, and that's totally fine. I don't know if you fall into that camp or not. They were the first thing I gravitated towards when I was kid, so I kind of have their music imprinted on me. This was before the band got world famous and before Roger Waters took complete control. If you haven't heard anything from this album, then you may be pleasantly surprised. Besides the hard rocking "One of These Days" to start off the album, this is definitely Pink Floyd's most chill release.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
Reflektor- Arcade Fire
Hot Fuss- The Killers
Blonde- Frank Ocean (This one is probably good; I've just never got around to it)
An Awesome Wave- alt j
Takk...- Sigur Ros
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John (Dammit)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 13:44
  • Post subject:

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

WTF! This is amazing. I have no clue why I didn't like this in the past. But, it's now one of my favorite jazz listens. I LOVE the drums especially. I love the chanting of A Love Supreme. The whole things teems with life & creativity.I tnever gets stuck in a rut. I swear the drums remind me of Bonham's Moby Dick at parts. lol. Very rock n' roll. That's probably blasphemy to "jazz heads", but let's face it I grew up on Zeppelin.

=====================================

ok. Let's get this one out of the way together....

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John

I've never listened to this either. I tried to do my Elton John "due diligence" a couple of years ago with the more low key Tumbleweed Connection" and couldn't even get into that. So this one is sure to be a nightmare. But misery loves company, and we can have a battle of who can write the most scathing review. lol.

====================================

My Blindspots of RYM's Top Chart

22.. Kendrick Lamar - TPAB
31. Nas - Illmatic
36. Mingus - Black Saint & Sinner Lady
71. Slowdive - Souvlaki
73. Bjork - Homogenic
87. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
103. Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
118. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
120. Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
122. Jeff Buckley - Grace
  • Visit poster's website
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 13:56
  • Post subject:
I have no idea if it'll be your thing, but Astral Weeks is my all time #1, so I'm going to recommend that one for you. The story of how it was made only makes it better, in my opinion. But it does require complete focus, at least the first time you listen. Van's vocals and the band's playing are completely otherworldly.

Astral Weeks by Van Morrison

I've not listened to a lot of things, so this is a list of things I've never at all tried:

7. Funeral by Arcade Fire
17. In the Aeroplane over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
28. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan
34. The Joshua Tree by U2
36. Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan
38. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
39. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
43. (What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis
57. Automatic for the People by R.E.M
59. To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 16:10
  • Post subject:
Tilly, the reason you liked the drums so much on A Love Supreme is because of Elvin Jones. He was a god among us mere mortals. I also recently relistened to it, and I was absolutely thrilled. No wonder there is a small catholic based religion where John Coltrane is the patron saint.

Elton John

1. My name is Daniel, so fuck that song "Daniel". Besides the traditional "Danny Boy", that's the other song that weird strangers sing a line of when you introduce yourself to them.

2. I'm from Kansas, so anything that is slightly related to the Wizard of Oz is a turn off. Goodbye YELLOWBRICK ROAD! Chrissakes, you've gotta be kidding me.

3. I was a good baseball player, and I still am. When I was 14, I had my worst game in the field because of Elton John. On the way to the ballfields, Rocket Man came on the radio. I couldn't get it out of my head. That stupidass song. I proceeded to make 3 fielding errors in the first two innings (which had never happened to me in my life), and, I swear to G O D, every time I fucked up a play, the soaring chorus of "Rawket MAAAAAN, burning out his fuse UP there alone", would pop into my head just before I was about to field the ball.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John

Of course I was already familiar with some of these songs. Saturday Night's Alright is certainly the highlight. It's hard rocking, and it's a good song for classic rock radio. However, I'm going to focus on the things I didn't like, because it's way more fun.

--An 11 minute song to start off an hour and fifteen minute, 17 track album? Sheesh. At least wait a couple of tracks.
--Fake applause in between two songs? That's so frigging cheesy.
--Jamaican Jerk-Off is as bad as it sounds. A pop-ska monstrosity complete with faux Jamaican accent.
What is that? Three piano in ballads in the first 8 tracks? Might as well get the stool and the rope handy.
--Ok, I've made it to track 10. What's this one called? The Ballad of.... DANNY BAILEY!?!? Oh, come on Elton, cut the Daniel's of the world some slack. (Actually one of the better songs on the album.)
--I'm currently watching NFL football in London and listening to Elton John. What kind of dystopian British future am I living in?
--Dirty Little Girl sounds more like a Gary Glitter kind of song.
--Track 13, Elton tries to conjure his best Little Richard impression, I think.
--A track about Roy Rogers? Why? Don't mess with the King of The Cowboys.
--Harmony sounds like it was written by Jeff Lynne.

It's not the worst thing in the world. Definitely not. Considering that T Rex, David Bowie, New York Dolls and Roxy Music are all considered "Glam Rock" as well, then this album is a long shot from anything by those artists.

Sandinistar! Thanks so much for joining us here. Listen to Automatic For The People and report back.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
Reflektor- Arcade Fire
Hot Fuss- The Killers
Blonde- Frank Ocean (This one is probably good; I've just never got around to it)
An Awesome Wave- alt j
Takk...- Sigur Ros
The Stranger- Billy Joel (Oh great, the American Elton John)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 16:36
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka - I like Reflektor better than Suburbs. Particularly the tracks: Here Comes The Night Time and Normal Person. I also do not want to submit you to the torture of Bruce Springsteen or Oasis or Bon Iver.

Also I read the intro like 4 times and all the moving parts finally clicked in my dense brain.

I was going to cheat and not include Bon Iver or other albums I found boring on the list, but perhaps someone can convince me why to listen to these from BEA's top 500 that I haven't gotten to yet.

If it's ok, imma put more than 10 so I don't have to look at the top 500 any time soon again:
#93 For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver (2007)
#220 channel ORANGE by Frank Ocean (2012)
#233 Red by King Crimson (1974)
#365 Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young And Crazy Horse (1979)
#399 Fear Of A Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree (2007)
#436 Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest (1993)
#433 Deep Purple In Rock by Deep Purple (1970)
#440 I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One by Yo La Tengo (1997)
#441 The Yes Album by Yes (1971)
#443 Tonight's The Night by Neil Young (1975)
#484 American Football by American Football (1999)
#486 Plans by Death Cab For Cutie (2005)
#499 Court And Spark by Joni Mitchell (1974)

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 10/21/2018 23:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website