View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2021 17:05
  • Post subject:
First off:

LedZep wrote:
The whole thing is so immaculately produced. Literally every sound is wonderful, and there's lots of cool sounds and instruments which is another thing I like in soul. George Marino and the crew deserve every bit of praise they get. I've known Higher Ground before (both the RHCP cover and the original are excellent), so that was the biggest highlight for me, but I'd say Living for the City is the "objectively best" song here. Which one is the centrepiece according to Eyekanfly gospel? 9/10
Bingo! Glad you enjoyed it that much, it's by far my favorite Stevie Wonder album and "Living for the City" my favorite song of his.

(1)

Live At The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas... Van Zandt

I think this was exactly what I was looking for right now. To start, I did my "research" and went back and listened to a couple TVZ studio albums before checking this out: TVZ self-titled (which I had listened to before) and The Late Great TVZ (which I hadn't heard before). Both are great and elevate TVZ as one of the best blues songwriters of his era. If the 20s-30s was the golden age of American blues, and 50s-early 60s the silver age, I'd almost consider TVZ to have singlehandedly brought about the bronze age.

While I'd never heard of the venue this album was recorded at, I didn't anticipate it to be so intimate. Judging by the clapping, I'd guess the crowd was between 50-100 people (and after listening to the album I read about the Old Quarter and saw its capacity is indicated to be 85). It reminds me of the jazz clubs I've been to, I could almost feel myself being there. The inclusion of Van Zandt's banter and even the announcer's apology that the AC wasn't working really just add to the atmosphere of the album, it's a true live recording. I'm guessing my first concert this year will be a similarly intimate setting, and I think this was a perfect listen for me for the moment.

All that said, while I though this was wonderful, I'm not a huge fan of the "man and his guitar" style of music, and quite frankly preferred many of the songs' studio versions due to the string, brass, or percussion arrangements backing Van Zandt's singing and guitar playing. But for what it is, Live at the Old Quarter is exemplary.
3.5/5

(2) baystateofheart, please listen to Brutalism by Idles. have you heard Joy As an Act of Resistance yet? It's quite similar musically. IMO JAAAOR is a stronger album overall, but Brutalism is maybe a little more personal, dealing a lot with the sickness and death of singer Joe Talbot's mother. If you haven't listened to JAAAOR yet, I'd recommend that afterwards, one of my favorite recent punk albums, and gets a little grander dealing with national politics in addition to personal relationships.

(3) I think I'm going to continue with the RYM overall chart until I've listened to the top 200-250 or so. Looks like the vast majority of top albums I haven't listened to are either live or soundtracks.
- Swans Are Dead by Swans
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden
- Soundtrack From Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti
- Live Rust by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest
- Roseland NYC Live by Portishead
- Dark Magus by Miles Davis
- ATLiens by OutKast
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2021 20:33
  • Post subject:
@EyeKanFly Yes, I've heard their second album and think it's solid, though not a personal favorite. My current list concept is digging further into discographies I have in my library, so I've heard at least something by each artist.

Brutalism by Idles

The bleak music and lyrics fit perfectly with the bleak album title and cover. Instrumentally, Idles are a skilled band, while vocally I find the frontman to be an acquired taste that I have not yet fully acquired. I don't always love the lyrics, but they are largely well-written, and at first listen probably a bit better than those on their sophomore effort. I really appreciate the craft and talent that went into this album, but my enjoyment lags somewhat behind my appreciation. It doesn't help that this really dampened my mood on what was already a Sunday afternoon. Starting it at a low 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Listen to a top three OutKast album next (first 3 = best 3):

ATLiens by OutKast

P.S. Are you sure you want a nearly 7-hour album on your list? (Keith Jarrett)

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 4 (last pick)

D: Toeachizown - Dam-Funk
E: Repetitions (Letters To Krzysztof Komeda) - EABS
F: Off-Key In Hamburg - Father John Misty
G: Índia - Gal Costa*
H: Lovely Thunder - Harold Budd
I: King Of Kings - [Idris Ackamoor &] The Pyramids
J: Welcome 2 Detroit - J Dilla*
K: Faintly Blowing - Kaleidoscope
L: Gonna Take A Miracle - Laura Nyro & Labelle
M: Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts - M83

*Last chance!
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2021 20:47
  • Post subject:
Glad you liked Brutalism. I was originally attracted to the album because of Brutalism as an architecture style, a style that seems to be love or hate (side note, the term comes from "brut" the French word for "raw" as in raw concrete which makes up the majority of Brutalist structures). Brutalist architecture is often stripped down, harsh, basic, not very accommodating, but precise, logical, and efficient. I think the album shares many of those traits whether intentionally or not.

I've been meaning to listen to ATLiens for a long time, and when I was going through the RYM list I was surprised that this is one I haven't heard yet. I believe I listened to most of it a few years after it came out, but I may have been confusing it with Aquemini. Either way, very little recollection from that potential late 90s/early 00s listen as I was very young then.

And re: Keith Jarrett, yes I'm prepared. Probably going to take me multiple sessions, I might take days-long breaks in between sets, but I'm fascinated by Jarrett and feel like it's something I probably should listen to and certainly wouldn't mind it. 6 hours of certain other artists like King Crimson...not sure about that, and I know there are albums like that in the RYM overall list, but they're mostly "archival" releases so I think I'll sleep on them for a while.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2021 20:55
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Glad you liked Brutalism. I was originally attracted to the album because of Brutalism as an architecture style, a style that seems to be love or hate (side note, the term comes from "brut" the French word for "raw" as in raw concrete which makes up the majority of Brutalist structures). Brutalist architecture is often stripped down, harsh, basic, not very accommodating, but precise, logical, and efficient. I think the album shares many of those traits whether intentionally or not.

Agreed. I was picturing brutalist architecture as the setting for everything as I was listening. Who knows if it would have come to mind without the title priming me though.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 03:41
  • Post subject:

Pygmy Love Song by Francis Bebey

On most days I would say this kind of music is “too sweet” for me (despite what you may assume by my love of happy hardcore, I feel like I normally need SOME sour to balance out the sweet in music), even though I sometimes wonder if (just like my distaste for mangoes, though Mango Pepsi might be the greatest invention of the 2020s so far) there’s some subconscious racism based into that value judgment connecting “sweet” as inherently “not for me” musically Sad
(Just like how, as Sabrina Strings argues in her book Fearing the Black Body, not being sexually attracted to fat people is often linked to anti-Blackness). And when you grew up in a horribly racist family like I did, I feel like it’s my responsibility to ask these questions about my gut aesthetic judgments.

Oh well. I at least have gotten fully in love with with most reggae, so I think I’m learning to look past the “sweetness” a lot more.

IN ANY CASE, this is very enjoyable, especially the minimal synth elements. I’ve obviously heard the Coffee Cola song, and I’m very happy it’s now an official product you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/coffee-variety-C...&psc=1

Baystate

King Of Kings by The Pyramids (1970s)

Top 100 Albums of All Time By Kitchensink (9 remaining?)
4. Milford Graves-Percussion Ensemble
5. Blind Lemon Jefferson-Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order, Volume 3
7. Freestyle Fellowship-To Whom It May Concern... (I still haven't heard Innercity Griots Sad )
8. Geto Boys-We Can't Be Stopped
9. Sun Ra- Live From Soundscape
18. Larry Heard-Parrains de la house
19. Prince Far I-Under Heavy Manners
21. José Alfredo Jiménez-Lo Mejor de José Alfredo Jiménez
23. Bahamadia-Kollage
24. Hard to Earn-Gang Starr

Last edited by Applerill on 05/10/2021 04:31; edited 7 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 03:44
  • Post subject:
Also apologies Merc for being short with the words. Not only do I typically have boring things to say, but life has been life lately.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 05/10/2021 09:38
  • Post subject:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? by Various Artists

I don't mind movie soundtrack albums sometimes. Especially when the music stood out in a movie I loved. I know I've seen this movie a long time ago but I don't remember much about it, so listening to this didn't bring back any associative memories. Therefore I had to judge it on it's own. I don't mind a bit of bluegrass and it's like in small doses but an hour of it in one sitting was a bit too much for me to handle. I do really like I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow though. The remix by Skeewiff was a bit of a cult hit down here in 2003, and got a bit of play in my household. 6/10, and 64/66 for 2000.

Kollage is the only one of these I've heard so you're getting that Applerill.

Kollage by Bahamadia

Top 64 Music Albums of 2000 by RoundTheBend (2 picks left)

3. Designing A Nervous Breakdown by The Anniversary
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2
10. The Million Dollar Hotel (Music From The Motion Picture) by Various Artists
12. Promotional Copy by Reggie And The Full Effect
14. Machina/The Machines Of God by The Smashing Pumpkins
15. The Rock Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Piebald
20. Hasta La Vista Baby! U2 Live From Mexico City by U2
25. The Best Of Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
26. Greatest Hits by Lenny Kravitz
27. Private Party, Minneapolis, Minn., November 21, 1948 by Leadbelly
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/10/2021 13:39
  • Post subject:
(1)

The Last Exit by Still Corners
I was sure I wouldn't like this, given the reviews. Generic indie pop/dream pop can be pretty bad. Fortunately, I found the songwriting to be really good. Wonderful poppy melodies with dreamy soundscapes is a recipe for a win. I love the singer's voice, the songs were generally a bit long but that didn't bother me at all. One fine tune after another, loving this! Although I do understand if it sounds too derivative to some people. I'm one of the bigger critics of the ongoing uninventiveness in indie, so me liking this album is a surprise (and a welcome one). 8/10

(2)
All That You Can't Leave Behind has some very good songs

(3)
Leftovers list + some 2021

Meridian Brothers - Desesperanza
Lawrence - The Absence of Blight
John Talabot - Fin
Flamengo - Kuře v hodinkách
Sadaf - History of Heat
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Kauan - Sorni Nai
Steve Reich, Kronos Quartet & Pat Metheny - Different Trains; Electric Counterpoint
The Koreatown Oddity - Little Dominiques Nosebleed
MEW - Frengers

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 14:36
  • Post subject:
(1)

ATLiens by OutKast
Can't believe I slept on this for so long. It was as good as I was expecting. Not much to say, I've listened to lots of OutKast and this had more similarities to Aquemini than Stankonia (my 2 favorites). I think I'd rank this better than Aquemini but not as good as Stankonia. This seems almost like Aquemini fused with a Wu-Tang Clan (or associated acts') project. There's a loose sci-fi theme but completely related back to Atlanta. Elevators, Babylon, and Growing Old were probably my favorite tracks. 3.5/5 on first listen but that may change on future listens. I could definitely see myself enjoying this even more as I dive deeper into the lyrics.

(2)
Steve Reich, Kronos Quartet & Pat Metheny - Different Trains; Electric Counterpoint

Check this out LedZep. I actually haven't listened to Different Trains yet but Electric Counterpoint is a wonderful composition, it's been interpolated by tons of electronic musicians. Kronos Quartet does Different Trains, and while I haven't heard it yet, they've done some amazing work too like soundtracks for the Darren Aronofsky films Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain, both great soundtracks. I have every reason to believe this would be wonderful.

(3)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden
- Soundtrack From Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti
- Live Rust by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest
- Roseland NYC Live by Portishead
- Dark Magus by Miles Davis
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher
- Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 22:05
  • Post subject:
(1)

As with the other Iggy Pop album, I really enjoy this. Like a lot. I'd argue that this might be the better one out of the two since this was more consistent Compare to the other album where the start has a bit of delay where the album would be one of those albums, this one from the start never lets go. I would say the only thing that could hold this from being higher would be Baby where the synth/guitar tone is somewhat clipping in the mix, which drains out the sound. But I would say if you enjoy the electro rock of Heroes, give this a listen. Grade:95

(2)
EyeKanFly, listen to Dark Magus

(3)
BEA's Top 100 of 1977
(19) Meatloaf-Bat Out Of Hell (R)
(24) Queen-News Of The World
(26) AC/DC-Let There Be Rock
(27) Ramones-Leave Home
28 Yes-Going For The One
(29) Peter Gabriel-Self Titled "Car"
(30) Supertramp-Even In The Quietist Moments...
(31) Saturday Night Fever-Various Artists
(32) The Alan Parsons Project-I Robot
(33) The Stranglers-Stranglers IV (Rattus Norvegicus)
  • Visit poster's website