View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2021 16:06
  • Post subject:
1)

Colors Live by Between The Buried And Me
So I went into this completely blind, not even knowing the genre. The first couple minutes were some intricate guitar and sort of indie-ish vocals, and then the metal growling set in. So...metalcore I guess. Not usually my type of thing. That said, the technical guitar and drumming aspects were really incredible here, but I just don't feel like the growling hardcore metal vocals fit as well with this style of (otherwise) prog-rock, they would've worked better on a thrash or death metal album. Barring the vocals, this was an incredible performance. I also listened to the studio album in advance, and I gotta say they're both nearly identical. I maybe slightly preferred most tracks on the live version, including the opener which is one of the best songs on the album, but my favorite track is the closer, and I thought the studio version of that was better. Strong 3/5 for the studio album and weak 3.5/5 for the live version I think. Interestingly, I think the opener and closer were my favorite tracks, and they also have the longest segments of non-growling vocals. Since they're so similar, I do find it weird that the live album is so highly regarded on RYM when the studio album is so low down. I think maybe RYM tends to overvalue concert movies, a few of which I've seen and really enjoyed. I didn't watch the movie for this one, so maybe I'm just missing something that RYM users are connecting with.

2)

ƒIN by John Talabot
Some great choices in here but I think I'm gonna pick John Talabot since I listened to fIN recently on my recent journey through some Catalan musicians.

3)
RYM Top albums (including live, but not archival) - I might switch this up soon, it seems like the non-studio albums on RYM have been shuffling a lot recently (I suppose due to less reviews than other albums so just a few ratings/reviews can move an album by dozens of places), and the list I'm working off of is outdated. Let's say 10 choices left from this list (not necessarily these 10, I'll continue replacing albums with the next one down)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Live by Magma (live)
- Strangers in the Night by UFO (live)
- Live at Carnegie Hall by Bill Withers (live)
- Minecraft: Volume Alpha by C418 (soundtrack)
- Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie by Magma (live)
- MTV Unplugged by Alice in Chains (live)
- Mount Eerie by The Microphones
- Live at Stubb's, 7/2000 by Ween (live)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2021 02:11
  • Post subject:

The New Abnormal by The Strokes

I forgot I had already listened to this... hehe. Anyway, I don't really like any post debut album material. Sorry.

2. - Mount Eerie by The Microphones

3. eyezayzay top 100
17. Dive by Tycho
19. Life Of Leisure by Washed Out
21. Tetsuo & Youth by Lupe Fiasco
34. Rodeo by Travis Scott
35. Malibu by Anderson .Paak
41. My Woman by Angel Olsen (I guess I forgot to rate it)
45. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon
49. And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out by Yo La Tengo
61. Cupid Deluxe by Blood Orange
62. Trapsoul by Bryson Tiller
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2021 03:10
  • Post subject:

Mohnomishe by :zoviet-france:

This is an industrial + dark ambient album from 1983, which is seven and three years into those genres respectively according to RYM. Remarkably, it doesn't seem dated, but like something that could have come out recently. It's often beautiful, it's never less than solid, and there are a few transcendent moments. Mohnomishe is all about the atmospheres and textures. Apparently each side of the vinyl ends on a closed groove, which is obviously lost in the digital version. I won't be rushing to hear the rest of the :zoviet*france: discography, but this is a very cool listen. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Listen to the Portlandia theme song in its natural habitat. An essential chillwave record.

Life Of Leisure by Washed Out

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 12 (3 picks left)

S3: Fuchsia Swing Song - Sam Rivers
T: Live Versions - Tame Impala*
T2: Call Me If You Get Lost - Tyler, The Creator
U: Underground Kingz - UGK
V: Live At Max’s Kansas City - The Velvet Underground
W: Seamonsters - The Wedding Present
Y: Vol. 8: Immigrés / Bitim Rew - Youssou N'Dour Et Le Super Étoile De Dakar
Z: Van Gogh’s Left Ear - ZelooperZ
&: Let’s Walk On The Path Of A Blue Cat - 파란노을 (Parannoul)
V/A: Mi Media Naranja - Labradford

*Last chance!
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 07/23/2021 09:56
  • Post subject:

Doo-Wops And Hooligans by Bruno Mars

This is the first time I have knowingly listened to anything by Bruno Mars. One of these songs sounded vaguely familiar so maybe I have heard at least one song before. No offense to RTB and others that like this album but this did nothing for me. It was like an album for people that don't love music to like (not exclusively - I can see people that love music also liking this). You know the sort I mean - that say they like music but don't pay attention to what's on, can't name the title of the song or the artist of whatever song they currently like when it comes on the radio, if music was still solely in physical formats they would have five or so albums in their collection - this album, an Ed Sheeran album, an Adele album, some movie soundtrack album like A Star Is Born, and some random greatest hits collection of a band they liked when they were younger but only know the hits or Now That's What I Call Music type various artist compilation. At first I was leaning towards a 5.5/10 but I can't outright dislike the album though. It does what it does well enough. So a generous 6/10, and scrapes into my top 100 for 2010 (for not long I imagine) at #98.

Baystate I'll take the last chance option and go with Tame Impala. I'm still a fan and love their earlier material. I haven't heard this though so I'll take the opportunity to too.

Live Versions by Tame Impala

Top 66 Music Albums of 2010 by RoundTheBend (2 picks left)

3. Go by Jónsi
9. Omni by Minus The Bear
11. Phosphene Dream by The Black Angels
12. Pickin' Up The Pieces by Fitz And The Tantrums
14. Distant Relatives by Nas & Damian Marley
17. Astro Coast by Surfer Blood
19. How I Got Over by The Roots
21. Beat The Devil's Tattoo by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
22. Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. I: Songs For A Sailor by The Smashing Pumpkins
23. Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. II: The Solstice Bare by The Smashing Pumpkins
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/23/2021 18:15
  • Post subject:
(1)

ƒIN by John Talabot
This was a very good house album. Perfect for mid summer chill. Some of the vocals weren't spectacular but I can easily brush that aside since the whole thing is thoroughly enjoyable. It's more of a "this doesn't exactly fit here" feeling than "this is bad", for example the Panda Bearesque vocals on Journeys felt a bit weird on top of a repetitive beat. The album's 52 minutes long, but it was over in a breeze. Balearic beat seems like an interesting genre, will have to check out more stuff. Enters my decade chart with high 8.5/10

(2)
Beat The Devil's Tattoo is fun and you'll probably like it Purple

(3)
Frankensteined lists

Lawrence - The Absence of Blight
Sadaf - History of Heat
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Sweet Trip - A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - Mean Ol' Frisco
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (RL)
Can - Tago Mago (RL)
Shape of Dispair - Angels of Distress
2Pac - Me Against The World
Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2021 01:38
  • Post subject:

Life Of Leisure by Washed Out

This had waves of chill. A part of me could see myself enjoying more if I didn't have endless content to sift through. Something to get lost in for sure. But I kinda also felt like it was suffering from having any life to it.

@PurplePash - I should say that my year charts aren't anything to be proud of per se. Just meaning they often are just a list of albums I listened to that year. And I'm surprised with the Smashing Pumpkins placement since I'm a fan of that project more than anything they've released since. Anyway, just saying my decade charts I like a bit more, but do indeed plan to tighten up my year charts someday. What I will say is there was a very short amount of time where I saw Bruno Mars as one of those very respectable pop stars. When I saw him play drums and sing at the superbowl I was impressed. Plus damian marley and other visists - anyway, that album is definitely a step up AND can fit in the catalog of the 5 album people. Which I respect about it. But neither am I thinking it's the best album ever.

2. The world needs way more Stevie Wonder in it: Songs in the Key of Life

3. eyezayzay top 100
17. Dive by Tycho
21. Tetsuo & Youth by Lupe Fiasco
34. Rodeo by Travis Scott
35. Malibu by Anderson .Paak
41. My Woman by Angel Olsen (I guess I forgot to rate it)
45. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon
49. And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out by Yo La Tengo
61. Cupid Deluxe by Blood Orange
62. Trapsoul by Bryson Tiller
63. Brand New Eyes by Paramore
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2021 13:45
  • Post subject:
1)

Mount Eerie by The Microphones
This was really good, probably my favorite Phil Evrum project, I can't believe I waited this long to listen to it. Highly recommend, the ambient/soundscape portions are incredible, even almost outshining the more melodic portions. The opening track was an incredible buildup to a fantastic vocal portion, and the closing song was fairly similar as well. 4/5, outstanding album.

2)
There's some great options here, but let's go with

My Woman by Angel Olsen

3) RYM Top albums (including live, but not archival)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Live by Magma (live)
- Kicking Television: Live in Chicago by Wilco (live)
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2021 02:37
  • Post subject:

Live Versions by Tame Impala

I'd say this is an inessential listen unless you're a big fan of Tame Impala (ICYMI, "they" have actually just been Kevin Parker this whole time). It's quite a good setlist, and the performances are mostly quite good as well, but there's nothing here that particularly distinguishes these versions as fresh and interesting when compared to the studio productions. However, even though it's inessential, it is a fun and quality record that works well in the background. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This, on the other hand, is a great live album:

Kicking Television Live In Chicago by Wilco

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 12 (2 picks left)

T: Stratosfear - Tangerine Dream
U: Underground Kingz - UGK
V: Live At Max’s Kansas City - The Velvet Underground
&: Let’s Walk On The Path Of A Blue Cat - 파란노을 (Parannoul)
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2021 16:39
  • Post subject:
1)

Kicking Television Live In Chicago by Wilco
I've had the pleasure of seeing Wilco live as part of a set that also included Beck and Bob Dylan. I was really there to see Beck and Bob Dylan, but Dylan sucked and Beck's best songs were played with Wilco. They also had a special guest Sean Lennon play a couple songs with Beck and Wilco. Wilco really stole the show though. At the time I was familiar with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and a bit of Summerteeth, but that's it. in the time since then, I've listened to a lot more Wilco, but nothing has ever captured the feeling of seeing them live. So Kicking Television was a no-brainer for me, and it's a shame I haven't listened to it before.

Right off the bat, Wilco is NOT messing around. On "Misunderstood" they go from their folksy roots to an incredible rock crescendo at the end of the song. And the concert just keeps on being incredible from there. After a few more songs, we get to the first songs from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth: "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" followed by "Shot in the Arm" which is my absolute favorite Wilco song. Neither disappoints, both are amazing live. But then followed up by "At Least That's What You Said" from A Ghost Is Born, and WOW that guitar solo is stellar. These three tracks are the best sequence so far.

After that, there's another few stellar songs, though mostly softer or at least not as hard-hitting. The title track rocks a little harder, it's a surprise to me that it never made it on an album. Later on, "Radio Cure" in particular was extremely pleasant. But then shortly after that, we get to "Heavy Metal Drummer" which is absolutely masterful. Following that, "Poor Places" and "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" both have fantastic crescendos alike to the first track, with "Spiders" taking over 10 minutes to finally reach the conclusion. These three tracks are now the best sequence. Capped off by the encore, this is an incredible set.

4.5/5, this is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Emphatic performance, excellent recording quality, perfect mixing. Absolutely wonderful.

2)

Let's Walk On The Path Of A Blue Cat by...Parannoul]
As much as I was tempted to suggest VU live, or Immigres/Bitim Rew (both of which are fantastic), I'll go with this one. I don't think this is as good as Parannoul's 2021 album, but it's still worth a listen.

3) RYM Top albums (including live, but not archival)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack) *last chance
- Live by Magma (live)
- Alive in Athens by Iced Earth (live)
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2021 23:28
  • Post subject:

Let's Walk On The Path Of A Blue Cat by...Parannoul]

This is a very good album that's more or less on par with this year's breakout record. I appreciate that it's more hypnotic and less depressive, the almost entirely instrumental approach works a little better for me, and sonically it's a bit more interesting. However, it doesn't have as much beautiful heaviness or emotional potency as the follow-up, so it balances out. The thing I find most impressive about Parannoul's music is, ironically, that he doesn't actually play guitar. It's all constructed using virtual studio technology, but it's done so skillfully and seamlessly that he makes convincing *guitar-centric* music. Upon first listen, a high 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. While I prefer his first three studio LPs, this is a very good live album:

Live At Carnegie Hall by Bill Withers

P.S. The guitarist from Iced Earth is in prison now for his actions in the January 6 insurrection. Just an FYI for when someone else picks it, in case you wish to listen in a way that does not result in him making money.

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 12 (last pick)

T: Stratosfear - Tangerine Dream
U: Underground Kingz - UGK*
V: Live At Max’s Kansas City - The Velvet Underground*
&: 1st - 不失者 (Fushitsusha)