Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 14:08
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:
Despite Radiohead being my favourite band, I agree with that. It's their most Floydian album not only in its proggy grandeur but also in its bleak worldview. In Rainbows, for example, is far more approachable in sound and subject. So yes, even though this album got me into them, it's hard to listen to it often.

Not unlike Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet in that regard.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 14:21
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
True, but this doesnt make it any less of an album. I think Johnny Greenwood said something like "it's the sound of feeling like everything is out of control". It's also about the fear, confusion and alienation we experience beneath the chromium plated surface appearance of normal daily life. It challenges the notion that everything is "OK" in our little worlds. As such, it's a deeply touching and beautifully human album.

Yes, totally agree. And there is something about the human vulnerability of both OK and Dark Side that resonates quite deeply with large numbers of music fans. More so than a traditionally rockist " let's stick it to da man" kind of mentally.

Okay, so it does all that. To what end? So we can wallow in helplessness? So we can "relate" to others pathos?
Therein lies a difference in the purpose of art or music. This reflection of negativity may have its place, but the highest calling of art is to inspire; to show what humanity is capable of, not just wallow in our weaknesses and give voice to helplessness (which is actually kind of an oxymoron if you think about it).

While it is rather cliche at this point, at least "stick it to da man" is an attitude of action and action beats resignation any day.
  • Visit poster's website
bcole19

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 14:43
  • Post subject:
Kid A is still my favorite Radiohead album, even though this is still a groundbreaking album. Technology's ability to alienate society is perhaps one of the most important themes in this album. Paranoid Android, Exit Music, and Let Down are personal favorites.
  • Visit poster's website
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 15:44
  • Post subject:
Ever since I've started using this website, the exposure to Radiohead has led me to become a big fan. I love at least half of their albums, and this is one of them. But, to beat a dead horse, this certainly isn't their best or THE best. I have a lot of respect for this album, but Kid A, In Rainbows, and TKOL top it if you ask me.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 10/21/2018 16:00
  • Post subject:
every radiohead album is simultaneously both the best and not the best

that's what i've learned from my time as a radiohead fan
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/21/2018 16:02
  • Post subject:
1. In Rainbows
2. The Bends
3. A Moon Shaped Pool
4. Amnesiac
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Kid A
7. OK Computer
8. The King of Limbs
9. Pablo Honey

This is still dope.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 17:32
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
every radiohead album is simultaneously both the best and not the best

that's what i've learned from my time as a radiohead fan

This is 100% Fact and True.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2018 18:40
  • Post subject:
One thing I wonder about - how does this album dominate all others? Like it's not even a close/neck and neck competition with other "great" albums, where one week it's vying for 1st after it got bumped to 2nd or whatever.

True on this site and true on RYM - large database of users all come to a similar conclusion... That has weight to it, whether you agree or not.

But why?
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/21/2018 20:16
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
True, but this doesnt make it any less of an album. I think Johnny Greenwood said something like "it's the sound of feeling like everything is out of control". It's also about the fear, confusion and alienation we experience beneath the chromium plated surface appearance of normal daily life. It challenges the notion that everything is "OK" in our little worlds. As such, it's a deeply touching and beautifully human album.

Yes, totally agree. And there is something about the human vulnerability of both OK and Dark Side that resonates quite deeply with large numbers of music fans. More so than a traditionally rockist " let's stick it to da man" kind of mentally.

Okay, so it does all that. To what end? So we can wallow in helplessness? So we can "relate" to others pathos?
Therein lies a difference in the purpose of art or music. This reflection of negativity may have its place, but the highest calling of art is to inspire; to show what humanity is capable of, not just wallow in our weaknesses and give voice to helplessness (which is actually kind of an oxymoron if you think about it).

While it is rather cliche at this point, at least "stick it to da man" is an attitude of action and action beats resignation any day.

Well, I don't see why great art (and certainly not the humble album!) needs to be mighty. Art that explores human vulnerability is inherently valuable: it's cathartic and it helps people get in touch with their feelings and make sense of their lives. So is the case OK computer. It's not about wallowing in sadness; its actually a refreshing and invigorating listen.

Also, I wouldn't say that OK Computer is relentlessly downbeat or that it is particularly meek. On reflection, there is a lot of humour in the lyrics and song titles. There are also moments of optimism: the rousing final verse of "Let Down"; the sense of achieving some perspective in "The Tourist". And on "Electioneering"...hey, guess what? It sticks it to da man!!! Razz
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/21/2018 20:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
One thing I wonder about - how does this album dominate all others? Like it's not even a close/neck and neck competition with other "great" albums, where one week it's vying for 1st after it got bumped to 2nd or whatever.

True on this site and true on RYM - large database of users all come to a similar conclusion... That has weight to it, whether you agree or not.

But why?

Yes, this is an interesting thing. I'd go with the fact that this album, arguably more than any other, combines a big helping of emotional release (catharsis) with music that is consistently melodically pleasing. I think this is rarely achieved so well (though it has been much imitated, of course). And these are two things that most music fans really love. Plus, you get quite a lot of memorable lyrical nuggets on this album, but I think that this is probably a lesser factor.