Best Hard Rock & Metal Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/23/2018 21:59
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Seriously though, I dont know of any great albums by the Monkees, but I rate 2 Beatles albums as "superb/borderline extraordinary" (Abbey Rd, Sgt Pepper), 1 a notch below but still excellent (White Album, 6.5/10), and another (MMT, 6/10). The Beatles were far better artists.

Didn't you have Revolver at 6/6.5?

Maybe... It generally sits around 5.5, sometimes 6. I think I did upgrade it to 6.5 once, tentatively. But then I revisited lots of 7s, The Beatles career, and the careers of several pop artists, and realized that 5.5ish, maybe 6, is more accurate.

As an aside, Revolver has some good songs but any idea it's an all time masterpiece is easily demonstrated to be logical fallacy when -- if given the choice -- pretty much anyone would replace almost every song by a better Beatles song in the same vein (not to mention other artists' songs). How can it be 10/10 when it's not even close to a collection of their best material throughout? Doesn't make sense. For 3 min (TNK) it does approach greatness, but the other 30+ is hit and miss, pretty good or just okay.

The following would be their masterpiece, if it existed. Track listing as follows:

1. Tomorrow Never Knows
2. I am the Walrus
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. Within You Without You
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6. Happiness is a Warm Gun
7. Abbey Road Medley: You Never Give Me Your Money; Sun King; Mean Mr Mustard; Polythene Pam; She Came in Through The Bathroom Window; Golden Slumbers; Carry That Weight; The End
8. A Day in the Life
9. Revolution 9

This is WAY better than any of their proper albums. Probably 8-8.5/10?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 07:21
  • Post subject:
I have things to say, but life... (perhaps at another date and we really should move this thread elsewhere, unless you really don't care)... I feel terrible that like 8 pages of a metal thread are about The Beatles... ahahahaha.

Also I suppose this is where I'm confused. Their absolute best musters up to a G and F'in R album? (assuming the 8 I saw assigned to them earlier is equating the same scale). GnR is the basest of nearly all music ever made from the aspects you gave me to measure The Beatles against. Please truly sell me on how you and Scaruffi can equate Beatles to GNR and Limp Bizkit (besides the argument they are basically the Monkees/average pop music... cause if that's your argument then you clearly haven't assimilated The Beatles like you think you have... you may have found their best tracks - which by the way, those were some great selections... missing some other important musical/emotional/intellectual tracks, but good selection nonetheless).

I disagree with the sentiment that The Beatles best album is lost in the midst of other average works, but I can agree with it's not the single greatest work of art with the utmost extreme examples of the work they played in. But holistically and for a good 3-4 year stint, they did way more than VU&N did (from my experience, even with their tour with Andy Warhol and the concepts developed there (I didn't know this but I guess he didn't actually produce the album... he more or less was interested in the visual aspect of the tour, not the musical aspect and spent nearly no time with the band in the studio). I look forward to your insights on VU&N from a perspective that matches the claim they did something better than anyone else ever even claim to in the history of all music (and perhaps surrounding your critieria you gave earlier for The Beatles)... shit I already wrote more than I anticipated. It's late and I have to wake early... but music teases my soul until I eventually fall asleep.

Nearly disregard this ramble - stream of consciousness and all. Perhaps should have just posted this: Think
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/24/2018 16:28
  • Post subject:
@seth

Will be moving this convo over to my criteria page. Its more applicable plus thats where our previous discussion on such matters was taking place and thats where Ill first post my essential points re: VU and Nico, and probably The Doors too (I may post these elsewhere such as on their comments pages and The VU one on your page that asks to compare with Sgt Pepper).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/25/2018 06:23
  • Post subject:
Now adding Hard Rock (which includes Grunge, which is basically Hard Rock + Heavy Metal + Punk).
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2018 06:41
  • Post subject:
If that's the case, then make sure to check out (if you haven't heard)

Salt Lick by Tad

One of the more underappreciated acts from Washington.

And this might qualify for you as well. Most places classify it as "noise rock" though.

Heroin Man by Cherubs
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/25/2018 06:49
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
If that's the case, then make sure to check out (if you haven't heard)

Salt Lick by Tad

One of the more underappreciated acts from Washington.

And this might qualify for you as well. Most places classify it as "noise rock" though.

Heroin Man by Cherubs

Thanks Chief -- haven't heard either Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 11/25/2018 14:07
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

I think Kill Em All is Metallica's best album personally. It's so raw and heavy compared to everything that came after it.

I second that. It's like the distilled juice of their legendary early power. Big fan of its Ramones-esque application of sufficient precision. Nothing gets in the way of enjoyment. Even James doesn't sound remotely annoying or idiotic despite all the alcoholic induced lyrics celebrating barbaric teenage anger, which only add to the undeniability of the emotion and energy.

Their collab with Lou Reed is my other favorite Metallica album. But that's a whole other story.
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 11/25/2018 14:53
  • Post subject: Recs
Some suggestions off the top of my head. Not all of them fall under the classic heavy metal/hard rock definitions but they're all very heavy nevertheless:

Dopesmoker by Sleep

Goat by The Jesus Lizard

At Action Park by Shellac

Welcome To Sky Valley by Kyuss

Atomizer by Big Black

Red by King Crimson

In On The Kill Taker by Fugazi

Under Glass by Hash Jar Tempo

Doc At The Radar Station by Captain Bee...Magic Band

Brave Murder Day by Katatonia

Alternative 4 by Anathema

Deadwing by Porcupine Tree
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/25/2018 15:47
  • Post subject: Re: Recs
Amirkhosro wrote:
Some suggestions off the top of my head. Not all of them fall under the classic heavy metal/hard rock definitions but they're all very heavy nevertheless:

Dopesmoker by Sleep

Goat by The Jesus Lizard

At Action Park by Shellac

Welcome To Sky Valley by Kyuss

Atomizer by Big Black

Red by King Crimson

In On The Kill Taker by Fugazi

Under Glass by Hash Jar Tempo

Doc At The Radar Station by Captain Bee...Magic Band

Brave Murder Day by Katatonia

Alternative 4 by Anathema

Deadwing by Porcupine Tree

Thanks! Im not familiar with a few of those. If you check out my overall list, Atomizer, Goat, At Action Park all rate quite highly but I havent decided if they should end up here or a future list (or maybe both). Similar with Fugazi and Hash Jar Tempo/Montgomery/Bardo Pond. Red is one Ive never rated though should probably be on my 7.3+ list and a future genre one centered around Prog.
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 11/25/2018 16:19
  • Post subject: Re: Recs
AfterHours wrote:

Thanks! Im not familiar with a few of those. If you check out my overall list, Atomizer, Goat, At Action Park all rate quite highly but I havent decided if they should end up here or a future list (or maybe both). Similar with Fugazi and Hash Jar Tempo/Montgomery/Bardo Pond. Red is one Ive never rated though should probably be on my 7.3+ list and a future genre one centered around Prog.

The last 3 albums might be way more interesting to you as I don't think I've seen you mention them anywhere. Some of the finest heavy depressive rock music that I've ever heard. Makes a fantastic counterpart to the dark morbid indie rock of people such as Mark Lanegan, RHP and Nick Cave. These guys display such a poetic attention to detail that it completely separates them from both the usual prog and the usual heavy metal music that we often hear.

Oh and I can't believe that there's ton of comments about the freaking BEATLES on this list. I think they're great but there's no reason to assume that everybody MUST think they're great or any good at all. And it's not like people will forget all about the poor obscure Beatles if you give Revolver 5/10 or something.
  • Visit poster's website