Exploring the year, 1950.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 11/14/2018 20:27
  • Post subject: Exploring the year, 1950.
BEA has 57 albums listed.

RYM has 250 albums listed.
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1950/1

Anyone want to go digging for gold with me?

All recomendations, and all discussion welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/14/2018 21:07
  • Post subject:
I did some 1950 digging earlier this year, and came up very close to empty handed. Despite its mysteries, it wasn't the most exciting year Laughing I think I added about 10 of those 57.

My 1950 chart is 15 albums long, and I'd say 5 of them aren't really that good. Give this a spin though, it's good:

Charlie Parker With Strings by Charlie Parker

And this a blast:

Sones Of Mexico by Trio Aguilillas

I should note that out of the 250 albums on RYM for the year, a fair percentage aren't actually from 1950. I spotted a few albums on that list from years as far away as 1955. It seems to be a go-to year if people don't know when a 50's record was released. Being said, I'd love to dig up some of their 160-250 range that I simply haven't been able to find.

EDIT: Cut Machito. After a bit more research, I think it's a 1951 release Neutral

Last edited by Hayden on 11/14/2018 21:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2018 21:21
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the post. My first year chart is 1953 and I've not found much prior to that of interest. This helps me delve back a little deeper.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/14/2018 22:32
  • Post subject:
As far as I can tell, Columbia introduced the LP format in 1948, and their first order of business was to release collections of mostly classical music previously only available on 78s.

So, it’s hard to know what to attribute to the year 1950. The release date may bear no resemblance to the recording date. In those cases, I’m left wondering if modern day anthologies better serve the era, rather than compilation LPs of the era.

Charlie Parker with Strings had only 6 tracks on it for its 1950 release, and then in the following years had 13, and now 20 something.

I like Billie Holiday, and there’s a 1950 album called Billie Holiday Sings, but I’m pretty sure all the tracks are from sides recorded in the 40’s. I have the Lady Day box set that includes all of her 30’s and 40’s sides.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2018 22:39
  • Post subject:
this has some repeats from multiple issues and also some singles but you might find some stuff rym or bea doesn't have here https://www.discogs.com/search/?decade=...;year=1950
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/14/2018 22:50
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
this has some repeats from multiple issues and also some singles but you might find some stuff rym or bea doesn't have here https://www.discogs.com/search/?decade=...;year=1950

Thanks. I hadn’t thought of searching on discogs.

This is the same list, but sorted just for LPs, and most collected.

https://www.discogs.com/search/?sort=ha...;year=1950
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2018 05:06
  • Post subject:
Sometimes albums - especially in the sense we understand them as today - isn't the best form for earlier music.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about the year 1950 in music... perhaps you can get something out of this as well (like that discogs idea too):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_music
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2018 05:11
  • Post subject:
My 1950 chart has something supposedly released in 1950, but recorded in 1938 (Benny Goodman) and then this which also has conflicting info if it was released in 1950, but I'm going to wager it may have been re-released in 1955 and that's why there's a bit of confusion. Happy hunting.

Also not all "classical" music was dead in 1950, you still had prominent composers releasing new music. Shostakovich, Ives, Cage, Boulez, Prokofiev etc. Just saying that's a worthy avenue too, pending on how you are looking at music history (releases vs music itself)

The New Sound by Les Paul
  • Visit poster's website
rockinsteve

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2018 06:44
  • Post subject:
Muddy Waters didn't release an album this year (I believe his first album release wasn't until 1958 or 59) but he did record and release one of his best songs in 1950, "Rollin" Stone", which the Rolling Stones named themselves after 12 years later. If you've never heard this song, check it out. Actually, pretty much ANY music by Muddy Waters is worth giving a listen.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/15/2018 06:53
  • Post subject:
That Les Paul record is wild. I have the utmost respect for Les Paul, for what he contributed to guitar and to music technology in general. In some respects it seems like that record comes from another planet, but at the same time it comes off as a little kitsch, which places it firmly in the 50’s. It’s something you’ve definitely got to hear once, but I don’t think I’ll be going back to it soon. I think Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth - highly inventive and skilled, but a little eccentric.
  • Visit poster's website