Exploring the year, 1950.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 11/15/2018 07:04
  • Post subject:
rockinsteve wrote:
Muddy Waters didn't release an album this year (I believe his first album release wasn't until 1958 or 59) but he did record and release one of his best songs in 1950, "Rollin" Stone", which the Rolling Stones named themselves after 12 years later. If you've never heard this song, check it out. Actually, pretty much ANY music by Muddy Waters is worth giving a listen.

Yeah, I looked up Chess Records, thinking that exploring singles might be a better way to go for 1950, rather than albums, and came up with that tune. It was eventually included on this album in ‘57 or ‘58 which I know was hugely influential for British blues/rock guitarists.

The Best Of Muddy Waters by Muddy Waters

Also on Chess in 1950 was this

Link
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2018 07:38
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I think Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth - highly inventive and skilled, but a little eccentric.

Vai played with Zappa as you probably know, and I think that was a significant influence on his sensibility.

Wikipedia says that in 1952, the LP accounted for less than 17% of record sales, and that includes 10" LPs.

Of the two LP formats, 10" and 12" LPs, 10" LPs were the norm for popular music, including jazz, in the early 50s. They're sometimes less than 20 minutes in length, though a majority seem to be slightly over.

Charlie Parker With Strings was originally released as two 10" LPs in 1950, both with the same title. Billie Holiday Sings and Les Paul's The New Sound were originally 10-inches. Stan Kenton's Innovations in Modern Music seems to be too. (Nat King Cole At the Piano was originally a 1949 78.)

Benny Goodman's The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert appears to have been originally released in 1950 as as a double 12" album. But Benny Goodman at that time was one of the most popular artists in the U.S., if not the world.

10" LPs were completely phased out in the U.S. by 1956.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2018 04:35
  • Post subject:
Interestingly enough 10" is what Kid A was released on. Part of me thinks it's cool and part of me is frustrated with how it sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2018 07:30
  • Post subject:
Just reading about the 10" LP in the last two days, I learned that there was a mini-trend of them in the punk/new wave era. The Clash, The Police (Reggatta de Blanc), Cheap Trick (Found All the Parts), and Joe Jackson (Look Sharp) albums were also released on double 10" albums. I guess they were supposed to be collectable.

Since vinyl became hip, I imagine quite a few bands have released 10-inches. Thundercat put out one.

You're going to have to buy a few more 10-inches, so Kid A isn't a sore thumb!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2018 03:06
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Just reading about the 10" LP in the last two days, I learned that there was a mini-trend of them in the punk/new wave era. The Clash, The Police (Reggatta de Blanc), Cheap Trick (Found All the Parts), and Joe Jackson (Look Sharp) albums were also released on double 10" albums. I guess they were supposed to be collectable.

Since vinyl became hip, I imagine quite a few bands have released 10-inches. Thundercat put out one.

You're going to have to buy a few more 10-inches, so Kid A isn't a sore thumb!

True that.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/18/2018 07:00
  • Post subject:
So, I was compiling playlists of popular 78’s from 1950, sourced from discogs, when I discovered a compilation series on Apple Music. If you search “Greatest R&B Hits Of 1950”, and every subsequent year of the 50’s, there’s five to eight volumes for each year. It certainly gives you a feel for what was going on at the time, in a better way than albums. Can certainly hear how Elvis was no great revelation, other than bring the music to a white audience.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/18/2018 07:15
  • Post subject:
The other music I’ve been checking out via 78’s, is gospel music. In 1950 there were sides from Mahalaia Jackson, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, The Soul Stirrers (before Sam Cooke joined) and others.

On Spotify and Apple Music, there’s a series called “Every Time I Feel The Spirit” that covers from the 30’s through the 50’s. Apple Music has one volume (missing on Spotify) that covers 1950-1952.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/18/2018 20:55
  • Post subject:
This highlights the problem with early albums. This album, “Billie Holiday Sings” was released in 1950, and ranks high, but it’s a compilation of Billie Holiday sides circa 1940.

Alternately, I found a Billie Holiday collection called “The Decca Singles 1949-1951”, And 90% of it is singles from 1950. Much better if you’re interested in the music that was happening in that year.

For the early 50’s I’m gonna continue going this route, compiling playlists of singles that happened that year, until I arrive at a year where albums become more important.

Incidentally, there’s also an Ella Fitzgerald “The Decca Singles 1950-1955”, that you can pick from. She recorded a lot more sides than Billie, but some of them are kitschy novelty items.

Billie Holiday Sings by Billie Holiday
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 00:25
  • Post subject:

Masterpieces By Ellington by Duke Ellington

From 1951, this is the first proper LP that I would consider 5 star material. Highly Recommended!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2018 02:48
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
So, I was compiling playlists of popular 78’s from 1950, sourced from discogs, when I discovered a compilation series on Apple Music. If you search “Greatest R&B Hits Of 1950”, and every subsequent year of the 50’s, there’s five to eight volumes for each year. It certainly gives you a feel for what was going on at the time, in a better way than albums. Can certainly hear how Elvis was no great revelation, other than bring the music to a white audience.

My dad was born in 46, so late 50's is when he started getting into music that wasn't Glenn Miller or classical music from his dad.

He was all about the comps from this era. He had this almost box set of "rockin' in 56'" or similar for each year. It was a great collection.
  • Visit poster's website