Album of the day (#2894): Nevermind by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 00:47
  • Post subject:
fishman knows what he's talking about guys, he's seen into Curt's soul and has a real good handle on the facts. this dude is a Curt Kobain expert.
  • Visit poster's website
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 12/02/2018 01:04
  • Post subject:
Music can be both alive and angry. The two aren't somehow mutually exclusive.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 01:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
fishman knows what he's talking about guys, he's seen into Curt's soul and has a real good handle on the facts. this dude is a Curt Kobain expert.

Don't need to be an expert. It's pretty obvious to those wiling to separate their love for the music from their analysis of it.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 01:05
  • Post subject:
gloriousgoo wrote:
Music can be both alive and angry. The two aren't somehow mutually exclusive.

Alive includes a range of emotion. Nirvana was rather one dimensional in that regard, and we see where that took Curt.
  • Visit poster's website
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 12/02/2018 01:37
  • Post subject:
I just don't understand how you can claim that Nirvana is one-dimensional at all. Anger was the driving force, definitely, but there was more to it than that.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 01:41
  • Post subject:
gloriousgoo wrote:
I just don't understand how you can claim that Nirvana is one-dimensional at all. Anger was the driving force, definitely, but there was more to it than that.

Sure there was more than anger. There was also angst, disillusionment, disgust, misery, sarcasm, frustration, burnout....
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 07:26
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Don't need to be an expert. It's pretty obvious to those wiling to separate their love for the music from their analysis of it.

ah, the ol idea that people who disagree with you must be blind fanboys. except i'm pretty sure tap, who you replied to, isn't in love with nirvana's music.

Fischman wrote:
Sure there was more than anger. There was also angst, disillusionment, disgust, misery, sarcasm, frustration, burnout....

a friend of mine recently confessed the the cure's music brought him closer to god, though robert smith is himself an atheist.

music is a funny thing.

i can find catharsis in a depressing song more inspiring and encouraging than all the empty platitudes of a song that says, "you can beat this". take peter gabriel's album, so, for instance. my favorite track from that album is a little piece called mercy street. the piece was inspired by anne sexton's poem "45 mercy street", but peter gabriel alludes to her abuse as a child and her longing for death in the song as well (she ultimately committed suicide). the song is beautiful, but it's dark, heavy and depressing in where it came from and what it represents. still, on a practical level, i still can't help but find the song rather comforting. there's this other super popular track that i hate. weakest track on the same album for me. it's called don't give up, and it's tripe. absolute rubbish. ok, maybe that's being harsh, but i'd be rather chuffed had it never been released. that song, ironically, makes me more depressed than the anne sexton one. the verses are inspired by depression-era photographs, so i suppose a bit heavy again, but the chorus ushers in kate bush with "don't give up ... cause you have friends ... you're not beaten yet ... i know you can make it good". the whole thing feels off to me. but that's me. music is a funny thing.

bringing this back to nirvana, as much as you may hate kurt, and as much as his music may have been influenced by the pain he was going through, you can't deny that people have heard his music and been inspired. you can't deny that people have found the catharsis they needed to get them through the day. or through the night. music is a funny thing.

RE: the prog argument - kurt cobain generally played rather simple riffs, but i'd be surprised if he was playing to his ceiling. he wrote poppy grunge music. i've heard prog acts with less chops than the all american rejects in the virtuosity department. i have no doubts kurt could've gone down that route and been just fine. there's no certification process involved anyway. dave grohl... i've generally taken him for more of a zeppelin fan than a yes man. could he pull it off? maybe, but why? that's not really his thing.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 11:25
  • Post subject:
Nirvana is far from my favorite but downplaying there influence is foolish. Art that ha influenced this many people is not rubbish or shitty or whatever other negative adjective you choose to use. It may not be your cup of tea but art that inspires so many people is a good thing not a bad. Again doesn't mean you have to like it but denying its power, influence, and importance is foolish.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 14:18
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
ah, the ol idea that people who disagree with you must be blind fanboys. except i'm pretty sure tap, who you replied to, isn't in love with nirvana's music.

a friend of mine recently confessed the the cure's music brought him closer to god, though robert smith is himself an atheist.

music is a funny thing.

i can find catharsis in a depressing song more inspiring and encouraging than all the empty platitudes of a song that says, "you can beat this". take peter gabriel's album, so, for instance. my favorite track from that album is a little piece called mercy street. the piece was inspired by anne sexton's poem "45 mercy street", but peter gabriel alludes to her abuse as a child and her longing for death in the song as well (she ultimately committed suicide). the song is beautiful, but it's dark, heavy and depressing in where it came from and what it represents. still, on a practical level, i still can't help but find the song rather comforting. there's this other super popular track that i hate. weakest track on the same album for me. it's called don't give up, and it's tripe. absolute rubbish. ok, maybe that's being harsh, but i'd be rather chuffed had it never been released. that song, ironically, makes me more depressed than the anne sexton one. the verses are inspired by depression-era photographs, so i suppose a bit heavy again, but the chorus ushers in kate bush with "don't give up ... cause you have friends ... you're not beaten yet ... i know you can make it good". the whole thing feels off to me. but that's me. music is a funny thing.

bringing this back to nirvana, as much as you may hate kurt, and as much as his music may have been influenced by the pain he was going through, you can't deny that people have heard his music and been inspired. you can't deny that people have found the catharsis they needed to get them through the day. or through the night. music is a funny thing.

RE: the prog argument - kurt cobain generally played rather simple riffs, but i'd be surprised if he was playing to his ceiling. he wrote poppy grunge music. i've heard prog acts with less chops than the all american rejects in the virtuosity department. i have no doubts kurt could've gone down that route and been just fine. there's no certification process involved anyway. dave grohl... i've generally taken him for more of a zeppelin fan than a yes man. could he pull it off? maybe, but why? that's not really his thing.

Not just fanboys. There are many who cant look at the music objectively because of the suicide.

I do get the catharsis thing as well, being a big fan of the blues.

I'd also be surprised if Curt was playing to his ceiling .... because it's hard to imagine any ceiling being that low.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 14:22
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
Nirvana is far from my favorite but downplaying there influence is foolish. Art that ha influenced this many people is not rubbish or shitty or whatever other negative adjective you choose to use. It may not be your cup of tea but art that inspires so many people is a good thing not a bad. Again doesn't mean you have to like it but denying its power, influence, and importance is foolish.

Has anyone here denied their influence? I certainly havent seen any evidence of that.Nirvana were huge, and they continue to be so. That isn't even debatable.

Whether or not that influence is positive isn't so clear.
  • Visit poster's website