Do you have a system for ranking your albums?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
linusishungry

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2018 00:19
  • Post subject: Do you have a system for ranking your albums?
I made a chart five years ago now and am excited to embark on the mission of completely updating my chart which will look very different to how I ranked my albums five years ago.

I want to give my chart a lot of thought and wondered if other users have a good system on how they go about ranking their albums?

I've made a long shortlist of albums and have them sorted alphabetically. I'm thinking of listening back through all of them one at a time, after each listening ranking at against the previously listened ones.
For example, I will listen to album 1; then album 2 and decide which should rank higher. Then listen to album 3 and decide where that should rank amongst the previous 2 albums and so on..
I used to rate all my albums depending on an average rating of each individual track on the album but I think this time will just base it off which I have more of a general adoration for.

Anyone got any other systems they use? Perhaps different categories you use to rate each album on..
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 00:33
  • Post subject:
With me at least, there are 3 critical points for me. One, does the album move me? Does the album make me nod my head or make me dance? Two, does it hit my soul? Is there certain details like synth tones that hits my heart. And lastly, can I tell that the artist is trying his or her hardest?

Sure I have rated 92 albums with a 100. But that is more from a wide array of genres and time periods. Plus whenever I get to 1000 albums or rated 100 albums with a 100, my charts would be a lot different. Once I hit that point, my diary will be going on a semi regular basis to rank them and see if these albums keep there 100.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 00:52
  • Post subject:
No
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 04:52
  • Post subject:
Nah, I don't have a system for rating albums. I admire people who do, but I just don't. The only system I use is "How much pleasure do I get out of listening to this album?" And then I might add in if it's been a durable album over time. Have I enjoyed it consistently over a long period of time. Cuz you know how sometimes there's an album that you really love one year but the next year, not so much.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 05:37
  • Post subject:
most people here just copy seth's chart. i think that's a pretty good reference point if you're stumped.
linusishungry

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2018 11:56
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
most people here just copy seth's chart. i think that's a pretty good reference point if you're stumped.

who's Seth?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/19/2018 13:06
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
No

Laughing
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 16:03
  • Post subject:
I haven't updated my chart significantly in a while, so whatever system I used years ago probably wouldn't be the same system I use today. I haven't determined which system I'd use now, but I know one issue I'm going to run into again is whether or not to limit the number of albums I allow an artist. Part of me wants my chart to reflect a broader range of music I truly enjoy, but at the same time, if I don't have Metallica's first 3 albums somewhere near the top of my chart, I feel like I'd be lying to myself. But then if I do that, my chart doesn't please me aesthetically. So I guess you have to ask yourself, what purpose do you want your chart to serve?
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/19/2018 20:08
  • Post subject:
No

Liar

Nothing to see here... ... ... https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15503
  • Visit poster's website
linusishungry

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2018 23:48
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
No

Liar

Nothing to see here... ... ... https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15503

Wowww, this is exactly what I wanted from someone on the forums of this site. Really interested and has really inspired me. I'm going to check out a lot of your recommendations as well as those of Piero Scaruffi who I wasn't aware of. Thank you so much!

One thing I didn't quite understand is your number system for the rating of halves of albums. How did you decide that 6.8/10 = Combined total of both halves equaling 11.8, 11.9 or 12.0 for example. If you hear an album with both halves giving a 6.0 rating, does that not confuse things that the overall rating becomes 6.8? You have a criteria for each number rating, but is that the same for a half-album raring as well as an overall rating? If so, why would an album of each half both rating at 6.0 (='good') then score overall as 6.8 (=(almost)'superb/borderline extraordinary')?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website