Multiple Versions of Same Song

View previous topic :: View next topic
Fergenaprido

Canada

• Posted: 10/02/2011 13:00
  • Post subject: Multiple Versions of Same Song
Is there currently any way/need to consolidate the same song if it appears on different albums?

For example, Time to Pretend by MGMT is listed on both Oracular Spectacular and Time to Pretend, but there is a separate page for both, despite both albums containing the same version of the song.

Time to Pretend (Oracular Spectacular) rating of 86 from 39 votes
Time to Pretend (Time to Pretend) rating of 79 from 2 votes

It seems silly to have two different ratings for the same version of the same song, and tedious to have to go to both pages to vote.

A similar topic would be that of different versions of the same song, such as:
    album (standard) version
    live version
    remix version
    radio/single version
    studio version
    compilation version
    remastered version
    explicit version
    cover version (by another artist)

Sometimes it is not clear which version of a song is included in which album.

Maybe the pages for each song shouldn't necessarily be linked to a specific album, but simply list all of the albums featuring that song, and which version is featured, as well as links to cover versions or collaborations by/with other artists.

Note: I haven't made enough posts in the forums yet, so I cannot link to the specific pages, so they are listed here:

thechart.php?b=2783 MGMT
thechart.php?a=4169 Oracular Spectacular
thechart.php?a=10962 Time to Pretend
thechart.php?t=39854 Time to Pretend (Oracular Spectacular)
thechart.php?t=107863 Time to Pretend (Time to Pretend)
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/02/2011 14:25
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the post, yes I agree there is an issue with multiple versions of the same song. However, I'm not sure what the solution is at the moment. The issue is an artefact of multiple albums having the same track and BEA, at the moment, treats all tracks as unique entities.

The individual track pages do currently list other tracks with the same title by that artist. Unfortunately, this doesn't pick up different variations of the same track as it is based on an exact name comparison e.g. two tracks "My song (radio mix)" & "My song (12" mix)" will not match because the names are different.

I agree, there probably does need to be some way of cross-referencing the tracks where they are the same. However, it is not clear cut how BEA should do this. As you mention, there are lots of different ways that a track might be "different" even if it is the same track. It would need careful planning before making a change like this to the site.
  • Visit poster's website
Fergenaprido

Canada

• Posted: 10/02/2011 17:03
  • Post subject:
Cool. Thanks for the speedy reply. I understand that it is a complicated issue and will take some time to incorporate into the site, but in the long run I think it would be a nice addition to the site.

Quote:

The individual track pages do currently list other tracks with the same title by that artist. Unfortunately, this doesn't pick up different variations of the same track as it is based on an exact name comparison e.g. two tracks "My song (radio mix)" & "My song (12" mix)" will not match because the names are different.

Where is this? I've tried looking for it but I cannot see any links to different songs with the same title; unless it requires the title to be exactly the same, including capitalizations. From the previous example "Time to Pretend" does not list "Time To Pretend" as another track, perhaps because of the difference between "to" and "To". I just checked for "No Cars Go" by Arcade Fire, and both songs (on Neon Bible and Arcade Fire) are the same name but do not link to each other.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/02/2011 17:34
  • Post subject:
Fergenaprido wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the speedy reply. I understand that it is a complicated issue and will take some time to incorporate into the site, but in the long run I think it would be a nice addition to the site.

I agree, and maybe people have some ideas on how this might be done.

Fergenaprido wrote:
From the previous example "Time to Pretend" does not list "Time To Pretend" as another track, perhaps because of the difference between "to" and "To". I just checked for "No Cars Go" by Arcade Fire, and both songs (on Neon Bible and Arcade Fire) are the same name but do not link to each other.

You found a bug. BEA was only showing other albums with the same track if there were at least *two* other albums with the same track (instead of just one) d'oh! (for example, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds). This is now fixed, and your Time to Pretend and Arcade Fire examples should now be correct.
  • Visit poster's website
Fergenaprido

Canada

• Posted: 10/02/2011 18:58
  • Post subject:
Awesome! I just checked, and I see now where it is. Time to Pretend and No Cars Go show up perfectly fine. Smile

Thanks Jefe.
  • Visit poster's website