Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/23/2018 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2901): Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits
Today's album of the day

Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits by Creedence Clearwater Revival (View album | Buy this album)
Compilation

Year: 1976.
Overall rank: 1,081
Average rating: 84/100 (from 320 votes).

Tracks:
1. Susie-Q
2. I Put A Spell On You
3. Proud Mary
4. Bad Moon Rising
5. Lodi
6. Green River
7. Commotion
8. Down On The Corner
9. Fortunate Son
10. Travelin' Band
11. Who'll Stop The Rain
12. Up Around The Bend
13. Run Through The Jungle
14. Lookin' Out My Back Door
15. Long As I Can See The Light
16. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
17. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
18. Hey Tonight
19. Sweet Hitch-Hiker
20. Someday Never Comes

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2018 21:12
  • Post subject:
d'oh!

The fact that this is higher than both Bayou Country and self-titled is a crying shame. Listen to the albums people!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 06:49
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
d'oh!

The fact that this is higher than both Bayou Country and self-titled is a crying shame. Listen to the albums people!

I hear ya, and mostly see where you are coming from, but politely disagree at least in this case. If CCR was an albums band and we could find quotes from them about creating holistic experiences through their albums, then absolutely, your cheating yourself of a better experience.

If they are a "songs" artist and they don't know how to spell holistic... idk... I really don't see a difference. Their label created the best of mix and their label created which song goes on which album. Even time periods get confused... songs that were written for another album end up on the next or even 5 albums later because the label thought it didn't fit.

For me CCR is that band who it's totally fine to choose a best of for their best album... which I did. Having said that, if you haven't listened to their other albums/haven't given them a chance past their best of, you probably are equally missing out on something.

Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits Creedence Clearwater Revival 1976 1 92.2
Cosmo's Factory Creedence Clearwater Revival 1970 10 87.2
Willy And The Poor Boys Creedence Clearwater Revival 1969 11 85
Green River Creedence Clearwater Revival 1969 15 85
Bayou Country Creedence Clearwater Revival 1969 17 85
Creedence Clearwater Revival Creedence Clearwater Revival 1968 13 80

Then again, this is possibly why most "elites" see me as a pleeb. I see their pleeb and raise them a fish not knowing what water is.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/24/2018 07:01
  • Post subject:
My friend came back to town to visit recently. We drank lots and put the world to rights. In the midst of everything else, we decided that either Creedence or The Band were the best de facto rock band of all-time (Beatles and Beach Boys weren't included in the conversation; neither would've beaten those two, regardless). I think I put forward an argument for Sabbath, but it didn't hold water in the end. I've never heard this particular compilation, though it seems top. Though I'm not sure a band as consistent as CCR needs a compilation like this, that tracklist is stellar. Sure, you can argue that something's missing, or that a greatest hits doesn't quite cover the magnitude of that '68-'70 run, but for real this is some fucken greatest hits. Gonna put it on now.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 07:02
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
My friend came back to town to visit recently. We drank lots and put the world to rights. In the midst of everything else, we decided that either Creedence or The Band were the best de facto rock band of all-time (Beatles and Beach Boys weren't included in the conversation; neither would've beaten those two, regardless). I think I put forward an argument for Sabbath, but it didn't hold water in the end. I've never heard this particular compilation, though it seems top. Though I'm not sure a band as consistent as CCR needs a compilation like this, that tracklist is stellar. Sure, you can argue that something's missing, or that a greatest hits doesn't quite cover the magnitude of that '68-'70 run, but for real this is some fucken greatest hits. Gonna put it on now.

Enjoy.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 18:25
  • Post subject:
This is one of the best compilation albums you could get. It's like the Rolling Stones Hot Rocks or Beatles Blue Album. There are so many great songs on it that you're amazed every time you look at the tracklist. Just complement this with Chronicle 2 and you're all set. Chronicle 2 ties up all the loose ends and fills in any gaps on the first one.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 19:09
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
This is one of the best compilation albums you could get. It's like the Rolling Stones Hot Rocks or Beatles Blue Album. There are so many great songs on it that you're amazed every time you look at the tracklist. Just complement this with Chronicle 2 and you're all set. Chronicle 2 ties up all the loose ends and fills in any gaps on the first one.

Yeah - Hot Rocks is another comp I like better than any other album released by the "song" artist The Rolling Stones during that time period.

The Beatles on the other hand, when I listen to their blue album, I do actually feel cheated compared to Revolver onwards (minus Yellow Submarine). I do like that some cuts are different/not on any album really, but other than that...
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 19:18
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yeah - Hot Rocks is another comp I like better than any other album released by the "song" artist The Rolling Stones during that time period.

The Beatles on the other hand, when I listen to their blue album, I do actually feel cheated compared to Revolver onwards (minus Yellow Submarine). I do like that some cuts are different/not on any album really, but other than that...

That's true. Most Beatles albums are great within themselves and they really don't need any paring down like the Stones did, in my opinion.
Btw, the chronicle albums have been around since the 70s and for a long time they were the best Creedence compilations available. But to be honest, since then there are ones that are even better. Like Platinum or Keep on Chooglin. They have absolutely everything you need on them. All in one place.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2018 00:45
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Do yourself one better...just sit down and dig their first six albums. All recorded in a three year period. Just play 'em one after the other and enjoy how very good and prolific they were for that short little window.

Don't include the seventh album, Mardi Gras...one of the worst albums ever made by a major artist.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2018 01:04
  • Post subject:
That's true, they did put out a lot in a little amount of time. It was like the South's answer to the British Invasion.
  • Visit poster's website