Making an album has changed my opinion on music

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
carpents

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 16:04
  • Post subject: Making an album has changed my opinion on music
Sorry in advance for the rambling.
The short version: I wrote, performed, and recorded an album and I have a heightened respect for most music.

The long version:
I've wanted to make this album for 20+ years, but, you know, life. I stumbled upon an unmarked cassette one day in early 2017, and it was a 3-song demo from my band in ~1995. And it was actually GOOD. (Thankfully, there were no vocals, I shudder at what we would have sung about then.) But it was a post-rock sort of thing, very creative, and aged well IMO.

I told myself that I was going to finally record the album which has been sitting in my brain for 22 years.

Unfortunately, I knew nothing about recording an album. I didn't even own a microphone. The only amp I owned was an 8" practice amp. I recorded some demos using the mic in my laptop and signed up a singer & drummer. I got encouragement from a friend of mine with a studio/local record label, and signed up for studio time.

Then the singer backed out due to time constraints. Then the replacement singer backed out due to time constraints. You know, life.

I decided that I was just going to do it myself. I bought some microphones (which I now adore) and good pre-amps (also adore) and decent guitars & amps (also also adore). It turns out that I really like the engineering/recording aspect of this. Since I was teaching myself, I used some creative/non-standard mic techniques and came up with sounds I really like. By the end of September 2017, about 6 months after starting, I had a decent base of instrumentation. I hired some session drummers because the original drummer decided that "real" drums were better than what he was planning.

Then came the vocals. Oh dear.

Singing into a microphone is not the same as singing in the car, or in your head. Throw in headphones (and self recording) and it is as much technique as talent. And let me tell you how envious I am of those singers with great natural voices.

Lyrics were just as hard as the actual singing. Trying to avoid cliches while simultaneously fitting a melody and rhyming, while actually saying SOMETHING in the song is way more difficult than I ever imagined. After a thousand re-writes, I'm still not sure I got all 9 songs right in that regard. I leveraged a lot of good advice from songwriters on the web, for which I'm grateful.

After a year (literally) of re-singing and re-writing all the vocals, I finally got comfortable with them.

Mixing & mastering is a Black Art, I have zero aptitude for it and don't want it either. If you enjoy mixing and mastering, you have a rare talent and should be doing it for money. (In fact, PM me, I am working on another album.)

So, the point: I've become much more understanding of just how difficult it is to create a cohesive album of music. I'll forgive more a cliche'd line in a song, or appreciate the little bits of even simple songs. I'm even more marveled by those bands who can transcend into greatness, because every single step in the whole process is difficult. Even after you're done, then it's difficult to watch people critical of what you've made. (I've gotten some very good feedback on mine, both positive and negative.) I also spent more time in the past 18 months listening to music by people here, or on RYM or small local bands. I've learned a lot from a lot of you.

If you're interested, I put a link to the album in my signature. It's a slowcore/indie kind of thing, so if you're not into that you won't like it. (You might not even like it if you are into that! Ha!) It's streaming everywhere and I have a YouTube channel under the band name "Synchromatica", where I posted a live take of one of the songs. (Again, apologies for how long this was!)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2018 17:24
  • Post subject:
The most reliable critics of any art are those who have dabbled in that art themselves.

Anyway, I'd gladly give it a spin. Bandcamp perhaps?
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 17:42
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
The most reliable critics of any art are those who have dabbled in that art themselves.

Hey cool, yep let me know what you think.

Not on bandcamp but I have it streaming on my site, the bandwidth might be spotty sorry:
https://synchromatica.com/some-new-ordeal-available-now

Here is the whole album on a playlist in YouTube (probably more reliable stream):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Y3tuK...ir97uONE1w

It's also on Spotify, Apple music, Google Play, YouTube, Tidal, etc.
https://open.spotify.com/album/3pIxL0Ver7EkcIfzabQpeC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/some-...mpt=uo%3D4
https://play.google.com/store/music/alb...duaekdmscu
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2018 17:47
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Hey cool, yep let me know what you think.

Not on bandcamp but I have it streaming on my site, the bandwidth might be spotty sorry:
https://synchromatica.com/some-new-ordeal-available-now

Here is the whole album on a playlist in YouTube (probably more reliable stream):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Y3tuK...ir97uONE1w

It's also on Spotify, Apple music, Google Play, YouTube, Tidal, etc.
https://open.spotify.com/album/3pIxL0Ver7EkcIfzabQpeC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/some-...mpt=uo%3D4
https://play.google.com/store/music/alb...duaekdmscu

Spotify it is Razz

I'll queue it up for a listen either later today or tomorrow. In the meantime, you should add it to the site. We even have a chart for BEA creations.

BEA Creations by videoheadcleaner
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/26/2018 19:12
  • Post subject:
Hey, you've got something here! Razz

Plenty of early 90's influence across the board, and mixing and mastering's definitely up-to-snuff, no worries. You should be proud of this, nice and cohesive, to the point, professional standard. Suffer, Division and Acceptance are pretty good standouts.

Being said, if you're working on a new album, I merely say these things in hope of you moving forward:

As a bassist, I always try to remember rock musicians/band to have fun with basslines. You've put a lot of effort into the basswork here, but there's plenty more room for it to shine. You've got it kinda following the rhythm guitar, which is perfectly normal, but every once in a while there's these gaps that I kept desiring it to do something (mainly Need) — don't fear the bass.

Don't fear brass either. Brass would've fit nicely on a track or two here. You've got the violin midi on Breakdown, which's a nice switch-up, but some larger instrumentation can go a long way.

Speaking of bass, just gotta fill out the vocals a bit more (small bass boost, easy). Just sounded a smiiiidge thin. Don't know what mic you were using though. In my (disastrous) attempts at vocals, I've used everything from a $4000 Neuman to a built-in laptop webcam. Once past standards for recording instruments, mics for vocals can get really personal. A lot of people I've worked with have a favourite that stick with because it suits them the best (not always the most expensive options either).

Careful with mixing different reverb plates, it can makes things sound unnatural.

Stylistically, I would've loved some more shoegaze-esque dream fuzz overtop everything, especially at more climactic-moments, but that's just being nitpicky.

Everything else was spot-on mate. All the best with future endeavours Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2018 20:46
  • Post subject:
That's awesome man. I gave it a spin, and I'd believe you if you told me this was some long lost album from that era. I don't have the kind of time or income to do anything at this point, but I'd like to someday.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2018 23:32
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
That's awesome man. I gave it a spin, and I'd believe you if you told me this was some long lost album from that era. I don't have the kind of time or income to do anything at this point, but I'd like to someday.

Can't thank you enough. I recently looked through your 90s chart, and would have guessed that you might have liked it.

And it's never too late, this one album has taken me 24 years now.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2018 23:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hey, you've got something here! Razz

Plenty of early 90's influence across the board, and mixing and mastering's definitely up-to-snuff, no worries. You should be proud of this, nice and cohesive, to the point, professional standard. Suffer, Division and Acceptance are pretty good standouts.

Wow. Completely unexpected, truly. If something really sweet happens to you today, it was from karma.

Hayden wrote:
Being said, if you're working on a new album, I merely say these things in hope of you moving forward:

As a bassist, I always try to remember rock musicians/band to have fun with basslines. You've put a lot of effort into the basswork here, but there's plenty more room for it to shine. You've got it kinda following the rhythm guitar, which is perfectly normal, but every once in a while there's these gaps that I kept desiring it to do something (mainly Need) — don't fear the bass.

I am, and this is another surprise. Writing bass lines that don't just mimic the root was one of those "harder than I ever expected" moments. I only explored something different in the bass in 2 songs, but I did spend a lot of time playing them all.

Hayden wrote:
Don't fear brass either. Brass would've fit nicely on a track or two here. You've got the violin midi on Breakdown, which's a nice switch-up, but some larger instrumentation can go a long way.

NOT MIDI! They're real violas! (3 of them in fact.) However, they do sound MIDI-like, and this was something I was disappointed in the mastering. (I hired someone to mix & master btw.) Whatever they did on the master lost what little dynamics my playing had, and did something to the timbre of the instrument. By that point I was exhausted, not going to change it.

Hayden wrote:
Speaking of bass, just gotta fill out the vocals a bit more (small bass boost, easy). Just sounded a smiiiidge thin. Don't know what mic you were using though. In my (disastrous) attempts at vocals, I've used everything from a $4000 Neuman to a built-in laptop webcam. Once past standards for recording instruments, mics for vocals can get really personal. A lot of people I've worked with have a favourite that stick with because it suits them the best (not always the most expensive options either).

I went through a few, but settled on the Pearlman TM-2, which I think is a U67-ish mic. The vocals got better as I went on, definitely the strongest are on the last ones I did.

This was all really great feedback, I really appreciate it. And I'm truly surprised, you and the Chief made my day.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/27/2018 02:04
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:

I went through a few, but settled on the Pearlman TM-2, which I think is a U67-ish mic.

Oh, Christ, that's a mic. If people ever ask me what mic to buy for home studios, I usually tell them to go with a Shure SM7B if they want to go all-out, but that's even a few steps of investment above that. Not a bad catch. Definitely handy to have a mic that's good for recording a whole variety of things, not just vocals or drums or brass, etc...

Quote:
NOT MIDI! They're real violas! (3 of them in fact.) However, they do sound MIDI-like, and this was something I was disappointed in the mastering. (I hired someone to mix & master btw.) Whatever they did on the master lost what little dynamics my playing had, and did something to the timbre of the instrument. By that point I was exhausted, not going to change it.

Was hoping you'd respond to that bit, because for the life of me I was confused as to what was going on there. I was 50/50, but really couldn't imagine those being live players. It was more bait to figure out how they were done Laughing

You 100% the engineer didn't downmix the recording a go over it with midi? I gave it another listen, and they sound... well... not particularly like three live violas. In that case, I don't blame you for being disappointed in that result. Way too compressed... kinda kills the instrument's dynamics. Like, they're a good call, they fit perfectly, but if you go with him in the future, just say you want the strings to pop a little more. You should be able to hear a little more grit and tug with live bowed instruments. You have In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Seven Swans and Ys pretty high on your charts, so you def know those nuances can be appreciated. Being said, the drums sound completely real, so you didn't lose out there.

Anywho, glad you liked a feedback Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 15:23
  • Post subject:
This post. I like it. This is a good post.

As a drummer of now a decade, I haven't much dabbled in the recording/engineering aspect until recently. I work at a music shop where lessons are taught and there is a studio upstairs. While the engineering part can be incredibly tedious, it is a necessary evil so to speak. Cool to hear you got some results you liked through non-traditional means and mic placements, no such thing a "right" in music.

I have to say many congratulations to you for finally hammering it out and making your album! This post is coming at a time in which I'm beginning to write heavily with my band and we're planning out our first release. Nothing quite like it is there?